Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-24-2013, 05:03 PM   #1
FUEL
Just 6 days...

First Name: James
Trading: (0)
Partagas
FUEL is on a distinguished road
Default Who's been your biggest cigar influence on & offline?

Thought this may or may not be an interesting topic...time will tell.

When it comes cigars, who online and offline has been your biggest influence if you will? For the sake of all responding with Cigar Asylum lets exclude the site as a whole but feel free if you would like to name a specific member or clan of members.

Before I becoming active here, for me online it was Halfwheel. Being a psychological fact that males are visual first, I was drawn to Brooks photography, followed by the more in-depth aspects of the cigar, blend, manufacturer and enjoyed how un-"CA" they were. I enjoyed how they would follow up with with a redux or two as well. To me their UGI just makes sense as does their methodology behind the mayhem. And I get a very non-commercial vibe.

Offline, IRL, a local BOTL at my home B&M we'll just call "Steve" is an immense wealth of information and seems to know just about everything in a "jack of all trades, master of none" sense and he influenced me to go beyond the band and dive into the subtleties and the "romanticism" of cigars beyond a casual smoker.

He got me into as odd as it may sound, actually deeply studying cigars and all their components from the different types priming's of a plant, aging, curing, blends, regions, flavor and strength profiles, notes, profile shifts related to RG size, how to select the prime sticks at a B&M, the men and women behind the band and on and on and on. I've smoked on and off for 20 years but only the last few really got into it and my pallet became very and sorry if its a arrogant way of saying it but is not intended as such "sophisticated." By that I mean I can pick up a lot of the notes and flavors easily that some of my friends cannot. If it tastes good to them then its good enough but I like to go beyond that to pick up specifics if you will, but not quite to the annoying CA level of tasting toasted cedar of a 2' x 2' patch of earth under bessie the cows right hoof with a hint of barnyard and sweat of a 60 year old field worker named Juan.

He also influenced me on how cigars transcend or connect people into so many other hobbies or walks of life out there that under normal circumstances one would not necessarily connect or interact. Example being cigars as a shared experience in connecting a person with hobby "A" or walk of life "A" with a person of hobby "Z" or walk of life "Z" that would normally have no interaction with each other but through the leaf there is that shared experience that draws parallels and perpendiculars from the "A" to "Z" barrier so to speak.

That's my idea for a holiday weekend topic. Anyone else care to share?

to all S/BOTL and please be safe this weekend!

Double to all our brave men and women serving in the military as without you and your courage we would not be here today to enjoy this fine weekend coming up.