Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-19-2013, 10:06 AM   #1
FUEL
Just 6 days...

First Name: James
Trading: (0)
Partagas
FUEL is on a distinguished road
Default Catastrophic cigar and humi loss...FML...

As some may have read I'm moving. I had my two humis specifically set aside in a hard sided duffel bag like suit case that was riding shotgun with me while moving to ensure safety. Folks came over, things moved fast and furious, and the bag ended up in the bed of a cousins truck. As we pulled out and got on to the highway he apparently didn't close the tail gate hard enough and out she flew in front of me. I swerved a 26' moving truck full packed to the gills and at full weight capacity to miss it but the rear left wheel clipped it. Sigh.

Before I start crying my eyes out, it fell down, went boom, shattered both 150 - 175 count humis and sent sticks everywhere. It rained last night so I salvaged what I could that didn't explode or end up soaking wet but lost about 4/5ths of what I had. Moving was not my choice, divorce cleaned me out and coupled with the cost of moving to a new place in and of itself not to mention all the BS costs like first, last months rent and security deposit I cannot afford buy a new humi and sure as f@ck cant afford to replace the sticks.

I figure its time to learn to make a coolidor so when I get to that point of being able to buy again I can spend the cash on sticks and not hardware.

So I have read up on making one but was looking for any additional input and thoughts if the below cooler would work. My biggest concern or question is how to humidify and being that its an "extreme" cooler. We used it camping and even in hot ass 95+ degree weeks and 100& humidity it would keep ice solid for over 3 days and not melt fully even in the hot summer for 6 days, so is it "too extreme" and how are the sticks going to breathe? Do I have to open it up a few times a month for a certain period of time? What is the most cost effective way to humidify until I can invest in quality beads or another method?

What a horse sh!t day, I'm so F'ing bummed and it makes unpacking all this sh!t that much more fun. Sorry for being a Debbie Downer.

In the end I should just be thankful to God to have made the trek safe and have a roof over my head, food in my belly, family and friends at my side and have been blessed by God being almost 9 months newly sober and did not fall back on old "coping" habits of the bottle. He has given me strength to fight through that and I am still in a better situation than 99.999% of the world. Just poopy as cigars were my escape.

Thanks S/BOTL.
James