Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-05-2013, 12:54 PM   #1
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Project Of The Day : Weeze's Office

I just started working on a whole new office for the Queen of my double-wide.
I've done a bunch of this type of thread, but I don't think I've ever taken one from concept forward.
When I look at projects, I always ask questions about how guys came to their idea, what inspired them, how they designed and laid things out, things of that nature. That's how I learn more and more about designing/building things.

Initially we thought we wanted cabinetry. I gathered up a bunch of info, laid everything out, priced it out, set it aside for about 6 months, and lost all the paperwork.
Then I thought I'd like furniture far more than cabinets. Custom, matching stuff that we can take along with us if we move, or sell if we don't. It'll all be heirloom quality stuff and it'd fetch a very good price.
Then we decided on cabinets again.
Then we switched back to furniture again.
Now I'm designing all the pieces of furniture.

There will be 2 desks, each 5 1/2 feet long. Then there's a cabinet that's essentially be a print center. There's a massive corner piece for storage.
The corner piece pretty much drives the bus. I have to mock it up on the floor to see how it'll work, make adjustments, then design it.
The desks I can design in my head and take them right to software. The print stand is easy, too.

Once I've designed each piece, I'll do what's called "taking off material". I'll lay out exactly the sizes of lumber I need, itemize them, and head to the mill for half a day of picking.
When I get the lumber home I'll start making sawdust.
I'll build all the parts for the 2 desks first, build and finish one, take it in the house, then build and finish the other. Subject to change.

That's all for now, I'll just drop one pic of concept and layout and check back in later.
I've never built any of these things, so go easy on me.

Weeze did not dig the Han Solo in Carbonite desk that was the obvious first choice.