Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-23-2012, 11:11 PM   #1
smitty81
Have My Own Room

Trading: (10)
smitty81 has disabled reputation
Default Anyone here own a Cigar bar ever?

Ok, so I have a wild Idea here. It's actually a really great idea but I know nothing of running a business and the legalities of it all.

I know state to state, laws will be different. I am just looking for any information, input or advice from those of you that might have been there and done that.

OK, here's the story of my idea.

I was in Omaha last weekend and my younger brother and I visited a cigar bar. I was not aware that these were legal. Back in 05/06 I think it was, Nebraska banned smoking in public business's all together no matter what the business was.

Well, some of the citizens and business owners protested it and the laws changed. (I wasn't huge into smoking so I didn't follow all this at the time)

While we were at the cigar bar, I asked my brother how people were legally able to smoke in the public. He explained to me that if your primary business is tobacco products, you can legally allow smoking in your business. You can also sell alcohol in addition. The one stipulation is that you can not serve food.

While we were there, we paid double for drinks and cigars. There is another B&M literally right around the corner as well. So I know the pricing wasn't just an area thing. I started thinking about it and realized that they could easily charge double on drinks and cigars.

That was the only place in town you could smoke and drink at the same time indoors all while listening to some great music. People were willing to pay double just because it is a one of a kind place with a unique atmosphere.

So the gears have started turning.

I live in a small town of about 2,500 or so. There is currently 5 bars in our town.

Bar #1 is a great place, it's where I like to go.
Bar #2 has crappy owners and very few people go there because of it.
Bar#3 is the Veterans club, only the older people go there. Their food brings in the older crowd.
Bar#4 is mainly a restaurant, completely dead, surprised they are even open.
Bar#5 is a new place that just opened that is pretty sweet. I won't get into it.

I feel there are 2 main bars that people actually go to on a regular basis. #1 and #5.

In my small town, the bars are the place to be on the weekends. There are bands, football games on tv..........It's about all there is in this town on the weekends. The bars that are nice always have a good crowd, even on the week nights.

You are probably guessing what I am thinking by now.

Why not open up a cigar bar?

Here's my thought process on it. Ever since the smoking ban, people in this town have been really pissed about it. You go to a bar to smoke and drink, it's a bar. If you don't like the atmosphere, don't go. Thats just my on the subject.

I think a cigar bar would pull the majority of the crowd away from the other bars. People would love to be able to smoke while enjoying a drink, conversing with their friends while listening to a band or watching a football game.

It would be the only place in town to do so or within 80-100 miles that I am aware of. I would say about 65-70% of the bar crowd smokes and most of them smoke a lot. There are no cigar smokers in this town that I am aware of but if they were available to them, I'm sure they would try them. I think I could really get people to try cigars and enjoy them.

I would have to find a small place to start and build a walk in humidor. A bar will have to be built and cigars, ciggs and booze will have to be bought. A liquor license and a tobacco license will have to be attained.

If I have to buy a place and have it set up, it's going to cost a LOT of money. It will be my career and my family's lively hood at stake.

One thought was to ask one of the bars if they would want to sell out. They have to be wanting out as I don't see how they can make ends meet.

Bar #4 in particular would be perfect really. It's all set up nicely, there is a bar with lots of seating and a place to build a walk in humidor even. To top it off, it has TV's but a few more will have to be added. In addition to that, that place has a really nice beer garden to sit outside if you wanted.

All this is kind of scary to me as it's a lot of money and nothing I have any experience with.

I really think It would take off and take a lot of business from the other bars.

Any input or advice would greatly be appreciated.
smitty81 is offline   Reply With Quote