Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-10-2012, 06:13 PM   #11
DBall
Cigar Jesus

First Name: Dan
Trading: (46)
RyJ
DBall has disabled reputation
Default Re: DBall's Newb Blind Taste Test #5

ApexAZ Cigar #7

5/14/2012

Okay, moving onto #7 in DBall's Blind Taste Test. I'll be pairing it with a double of whisky and a Pellegrino. Even though it's 8:15 P.M., it's still like 100 degrees out, so I'll probably be smoking faster than usual. It's warm. Phoenix summer is here. Ugh.

Pre-light
This cigar is about 5 3/4" long and has a ring guage around 38. The wrapper is slightly darker than the others and has one large vein throughout it's length. It also has somewhat of a roughly placed single cap (at least it appears so). The construction seems good enough, but the cigar just looks a little rough around the edges and it's very light. The cigar looks and feels old to me. The scent off the foot has a very, very slight tobacco smell. I had to really concentrate to smell it, it was so faint.

The pre-light draw seems fine, and I taste nothing but a slight grass/wood type flavor, which is also very faint.

1st Third
Like the others, the cigar is very smooth right off the bat. I don't think any have ever had that in-your-face blast of pepper like so many Nicaraguans do. This is a good thing to me. While I don't mind a bit of pepper, the first few puffs can be pretty brutal before things start to settle. On the other hand, I don't taste a lot at first on these either. After about 3/4" I'm finally starting to get some sweet flavor, but unable to pintpoint exactly what it tastes like just yet. About 1.5" in the flavor is kind of a toasty sweet cream flavor. It's very smooth and mild, but somewhat muted. The draw and burn have been perfect, and the salt and pepper ash drops on it's own after about 3/4".

2nd Third
I start getting into the 2nd third after about 25 minutes. The flavor is starting to really pick up now and it's really tasty. Notes of vanilla come in, as well as some charred wood. It's pretty dang good. It's still very mild and creamy with mild strength. The burn has continued to be perfect.

Final Third
45 minutes passed before getting into the final 3rd. The flavor continues to get sweeter. It's more of a toasty coffee, vanilla, caramel type mix. I'm digging it. What is it about these that make them so sweet? There must be something in the soil that promotes a lot of glucose or something? The burn continues to be perfect. Things are more medium now and the flavors just continue to fuller, sweeter and better with every puff. It's quite good and sadly it had to end with about 1/2" left.

Conclusion
This cigar was one of my favorites so far and I give it a 9/10. I really loved it! Thanks, Dan!

Score: 9/10

Total smoke time: 75 minutes