Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Instant Replay In Baseball?
Yes 15 31.25%
No 28 58.33%
Undecided/Maybe in places 5 10.42%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-07-2012, 05:07 PM   #24
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Instant Replay In Baseball...

I agree, Thomas. I think Shane meant in major league baseball when he said league.

I've really hoped to hear more arguments for and against instant replay, even comparing replay usage across different games.
I've long thought that with computers and related sensors coming so far in recent years, there could be zillions of ways to bring that technology to the games.
You made a point about making first downs. I laughed when I read it, I've always thought it was crazy. There's absolutely no precision in measuring whatsoever until it comes to that last push, then it's all-important. Some sort of RF localized positioning system could be set up on football fields that could instantly make ball placement precise and simple. Did the ball cross the goal line? The answer was already there on the ump's armband before anyone asked in their brain. Were the WR's feet down? A wire in the turf and a couple sensors in shoes, we already took care of where the ball is.
That could work it's way into baseball to control boundaries, balls and strikes, to name a few. I don't want it.
To me, that sort of thing is perfect for football. It's a war metaphor. It belongs there.
Baseball is the polar opposite. I don't even like electronic scoreboards. I'd far rather see some kid changing the numbers. That's one of those parts of the game that is SO cool. A kid can go down to the park and keep score, be batboy, watch games all day and gather up broken bats, look for home run balls that land in the creek beyond the outfield fence, the list goes on ad finitum.
MLB is a business, but of the one professional sport that really, really, needs to "get it", they're the ones. People want old school and quaint, at least to some extent. That's why Three Rivers (and so many other ball parks) got pulled down and replaced by parks like PNC. People want to be in the game. They want to be able to see the play so they can b1tch about it, even though it's obvious to everyone they're wrong. That's fun, too.
For my birthday next year I'm asking for the death of the DH rule. If I was an AL fan I'd feel robbed. There's nothing like seeing a pitcher hit. Helping himself out, poking a lucky one over the fence, you name it. That's a good show. Watching a fat, old guy come off the bench and hit a very long single is not fun. I'd far rather see if Justin Verlander can hit even a little bit. That'd be entertaining.