Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-10-2012, 12:53 PM   #1
the jiggler
ˇtaste my pirate paddy!

First Name: Craig
Trading: (24)
the jiggler has a spectacular aura aboutthe jiggler has a spectacular aura aboutthe jiggler has a spectacular aura about
Default Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar...

The short:

Does anyone else ever avoid buying (or even smoking) a cigar specifically of because of some negative, personal association you have with the name (cigar or brand)?

The long:

I am sure most would admit that they have tried a cigar solely because the name or label resonated with them for some reason. I mean who doesn't want to try a MUWAT just becuase it has the word Uzi in it? If someone made a cigar called Appetite for Destruction, I would buy a fiver on principle alone. What I am interested in is sort of the opposite of this effect. Avoiding a cigar solely because of the name or the label regardless of the amount of positive press it gets.

Trying to not come off sounding like a nut job...I wonder if I am the only one (willing to admit it publicly) that avoids trying certain cigars because of what they are called. As an example, I avoid cigars with names like Devil's Weed, Warlock, Vudu, Ghurka's Evil or even Illusione's Illusione 2 and Crowned of Thorns because of the names. As a Christian (my hypocrisy knows no bounds), I am just uncomfortable smoking something called Evil.

Or take Swag. The word swag is so over used by my kids and kids of friends that I won't smoke one because I am sick of the word even though a good buddy and fellow member of this board really likes and highly recommends them.

I could go on but we'd quickly get into deep down places I don't like to talk about at parties.

Anybody else with me?