Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-03-2012, 10:44 AM   #1
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future
Default Is it me?

OK, before I go to far, I don't want this to degenerate into cigar bashing - that is not at all what this is about. It is simply inquisitive.

Now that I have your attention.

Is it me? Have my tastes changed? Is it the tastes of others?

I've had opportunity to try many, many, many cigars in my 30+ years of cigar smoking. Some I have liked! Some I have tolerated! Some I have tossed before the halfway mark! Some I have absolutely loved!

But now I have developed a new category. These are cigars that I see spoken of very fondly here, of which I have tried a few, but am really relucant to try any more of. Why? They don't have what I like to call the "wow" factor. To me, the "wow" factor is that something that sets a particular cigar apart which makes you part with the amount of $$ required to have another one.

In regard to some of the more popular, most talked about, and highly sought out cigars (at least here) I don't get it! There must be something I am missing.

I know, I know, I know... Smoke what you like, and enjoy it.

BUT...

I really want to fall in love with these too.

LPs seems to be getting a lot of love.
I have had a couple 52s and a couple 9s in various sizes. Not bad smokes, but I couldn't see spending them $$ they want for them to have another.
I even had a #9 Pig, supposedly an outstanding smoke. Ummm, at the halfway point I was completely underwhelmed. I'd like to try more LPs, I have 40 (the Lancero) sitting in my humidor waiting, I am hoping to absolutely love it. I would love to love the Feral Pigs, but I don't even want to order any.

Viajes are another brand that seems to be all the rage. I have had a few, from different lines and wasn't impressed. I even had a couple holiday blend and was looking for that "wow" factor to kick in. I must say, I have had a couple Skull & Bones that were very good, but I don't know that I'd run out and buy a box of them.

Some of the Tatuaje cigars have also left me baffled. I have some red Angeles, brown Noellas, Verocu #5s, Petite Cazadores Reservas, but most of the larger ring guage cigars of these lines, and the LEs, just don't seem to "wow" me either.

Then,... I had an El Rey del Mundo Robusto the other day while golfing, it made me stop, take a puff, pause and really savor it. It was astounding. There was richness and sweetness to it that was intriguing with hints of caramel, coffee, leather, cocoa, and it was constantly shifting and morphing through those flavors. And to many, it is a bland cigar.

So, is it my own taste buds?
Is there something I should be doing to get more out of these cigars?
Is it the moderm smoker is looking for something different than I am?

Thanks for your help.

Peace of the Lord be with you.