Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-17-2012, 01:25 PM   #11
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of
Default Re: College Hoops Thread 2011-2012

Final:

Syracuse 75 - Kansas State 59 = The Orange do advance, and with more ease than with their war with UNC-A. Maybe they got focused, maybe they got accustomed to playing without Fab Melo, and maybe they can lve up to their 1-seed . . . though I figure the winner of the Vandy/Wisc game will give them a lot to handle. As for K-State, they had a better season than was expected, which might keep Frank Martin from going postal . . . and may not. But this one wonders: With this loss, and with Texas and Missouri dropping out early, plus with Baylor struggling with South Dakota State. was the Big 12 again a one-league team, the Jayhawks and everybody else? OK, Iowa State did take care of U Conn, but I'm not sure how much that is worth. We'll know better today, when the Cyclones face Kentucky, and Baylor takes on Pac-12 champ Colorado . . . though maybe not so much in that 2nd one.

Other games today:

Ohio State vs. Gonzaga = There is no doubt which one has the most talent. But if Sully does not shake off his sophomore slump and bring it today, the Buckeyes' dependence upon Buford and Kraft to survive may get them into trouble with the 'Zags. I think they can overcome a poor offensive game by Sully, as long as he defends and rebounds, but without that this could get scary.

Murray State vs. Marquette = And this one is scary from the get-go, for both teams. Joe's Racers may be outclassed by the Marq-uee opponent, especially off the glass. But on the other hand, I doubt if Marquette knows a ton about Murray State, and may be looking past their 1-loss season as being merely a product of the lower-level competition they faced in the OVC. True as that may be, it does not mean the Racers cannot hoop, nor does it mean the Golden Eagles can't be beaten by a lower-seed . . . as Mizzou and Dook found out.

Vanderbilt vs. Wisconsin = To me this is one of the more interesting match-ups of the day. Both teams have some quality bigs, both want to control tempo, and both want a shot at what they think is a vulnerable Syracuse team. I expect a war here.

VCU vs. Indiana = Yeah, I know what VCU did last year, and yeah I know I was pumping their league all year as one of the better and underrated mid-majors in the nation. But despite the weaknesses the Hoosiers can show from the perimeter players at times, they play tough-nosed D, and the have the difficult-to-defend Cody Zeller in the paint. I see no miracle run for VCU this year.

Iowa State vs. Kentucky = The Cyclones have faced, and defeated at times, some quality teams all year, but they have not faced a team like the Wildcats. If UK plays like they did in their opener, this could get ugly. Iowa State's only chance is to control the pace, get inside either on drives or good post passing, and get those 'Cat bigs into some foul trouble. You can rattle a young team like UK, even if they are no longer really freshmen and sophomores, and rattled kids will make mistakes. Me, I would not bet on it, but it could happen.

Colorado vs. Baylor = And me, I don't like either one of these teams. I was surprised that the Buffaloes won their opener over UNLV, based upon the lousy play I saw from them in the Pac-12 championship game, which was unwatchable. As for the Bears, they have several good players, and nearly no team chemistry whatsoever. Why don't both of them go ahead and lose this one, so then we don't have to see them anymore?

New Mexico vs. Louisville = This is a tough one. The Lobos have had some very good wins, and have a good young coach to boot. The Cardinals have a "storied" (to be kind) coach of their own, and have had some terrible losses this year. They are like Forrest Gump's box of chocolates . . . you never know what you're gonna get. I'm leaning towards New Mexico here, but only because I'm not sure how much longer Louisville can continue to play well . . . their string may have run out.

If I get a chance to get back, I'll deal a bit with Sunday games, though all I really care about is if my Heels can get past Creighton, with or without John Henson. Until whenever then, enjoy.