Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-21-2012, 12:48 PM   #11
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of
Default Re: College Hoops Thread 2011-2012

We've already one final for today:

Temple 73 - Maryland 60 = Maybe not a great win for the Owls, but a decent one anyway, and another disappointing performance for the Terps.

Aside from that, only the Michigan State/Purdue game seems to be "over", with the Spartans holding a healthy lead. All the others are much too close to call, including Kentucky/Alabama in Lexington. I'll try to keep you advised.

Later action today is far too vast to cover properly, with many games looking to be good. I shall mention many, but not bore you with them all:

Michigan vs. Arkansas = Even if this wasn't in Fayetteville, I'd give the Hogs a shot. I have not been impressed with the Wolverines's scoring ability, though they could win a close one on the road. Should be interesting either way.

Missouri vs. Baylor = And this would have been more interesting had both still remained undefeated to this point. Still, with both at 17-1, you'd imagine this will be a war.

Georgia Tech vs. Clemson = So will this one, albeit for different reasons. The battle for the basement of the ACC has begun.

Belmont vs. South Carolina Upstate = I've been a bit disappointed so far with Belmont's play, as I expected them to continue to rule their roost. And the SCU Spartans should not provide a huge challenge, even in Spartenburg. But if the Bruins want to return to the NCAAs they need to get busy, soon.

Cincinnati vs. West Virginia = These two came into the season with differing expectations, with the Bearcats slipping somewhat and the Mountaineers climbing a lot. This conference game is huge for both.

Indiana State vs. Creighton = The Sycamores could maybe bring Bird back and have a good chance against the Bluejays, but without him I expect they'll just provide a comfortable nest for those indigo avians.

Florida State vs. Duke = The Seminoles finally had a great win last week . . . either that, or my Heels just sucked . . . but that was at home. A better indication as to whether or not they've turned things around to meet early predictions would be a win against the Blue Devils in Cameron today. I would not bet on it, but I wouldn't bet against it either. This will be interesting, one way or the other.

Kansas vs. Texas = So will this one, although the Jayhawks must be favored. The Longhorns do have 12 wins, but none of them can be called good ones. Perhaps their best performance was last week, in a "good loss" at K-State by 4 points. KU is the 'Horns 3rd ranked opponent in a row, and even a blind steer finds a haybale now and then. But I don't think that's gonna happen.

Oklahoma vs. Texas A&M = Remember when the Aggies were ranked? I do, even if they don't. These two meet today with identical 10-7 and 1-4 records, so you can expect both to be ready for a fight.

U Conn vs. Tennessee = The Huskies again risk leaving the Nutmeg State, and even though it's against the "meh" Volunteers they might regret that unfortunate decision to actually schedule a few road games. The Vols, despite their problems, are 7-3 in Knoxville, including a close loss to Memphis and a stunning win over the Gators. This one's worth keeping an eye on.

U Mass vs. Richmond = So is this one, as it pits two good mid-major programs against each other. Besides, I always keep an eye on Spiders.

Stanford vs. Washington = As happened last year, a logjam is forming atop the Pac-12. Cal holds an early 6-1 advantage, but these two here enter play with 5-2 & 4-2 resp't records. That alone tells you how important this game is, as is . . .

Arizona vs. Colorado = . . . because the Desert 'Cats and the Buffaloes have 4-2 league records themselves, and are part of that jam-up. So you know they both want this one.

Syracuse vs. Notre Dame = It's in South Bend, which gives the Irish that anyway. It may not be enough to squeeze the Orange, but you gotta know Boeheim's not gonna think that way. He knows he can't go without a loss all year, even if you don't.

LSU vs. Florida = On the one hand, I don't give the Tigers much of a chance here. On the other, the Gators have managed to stink up the joint at times. Me, I can't see a contest here, but what do I know?

Marshall vs. Southern Mississippi = It seems that teams like these two almost always give us a good show, maybe because they know they can't skate into the NCAAs with a handful of at-large bids allocated for their league.

Kent State vs. Akron = Same story here, and two teams that have done pretty well so far.

Colorado State vs. Wyoming = And here again also.

California vs. Washington State = The Cougars are not part of that Pac-12 pack mentioned above, but if the Bears want to stay on top of the pile they can't afford to stumble up in Pullman tonight. For that reason alone, it's big.

Marquette vs. Providence = On the surface, this does not look to be much of a match-up, even in Rhode Island. But remember that the Friars did manage to edge Louisville recently, by a slim 90-59 margin. Anything can happen.

Mississippi State vs. Vanderbilt = The Commodores were, like those aforementioned Gators, subject to several early disappointing performances. However, they have won 8 in a row now, and maybe have finally found their game. And despite the Bulldogs higher ranking, they are 2-2 in the SEC, with Vandy 4-0. Besides, that funky floating court in Nashville is a baitch for many teams. This could be fun.

South Dakota State vs. North Dakota State = Yeah, nobody outside the Dakotas cares, one way or the other. But this one just hopped out at me. They are resp't. 15-5, 7-1 and 13-5, 6-2, so even though you don't give a damn you can bet your bottom dollar they do.

Ohio State vs. Nebraska = In Lincoln, as if that makes a difference. The only thing more shocking than a Buckeye loss today is the fact the Cornhuskers have actually won 2 Big Ten+ games already. Yeah, it could happen again . . . but not tonight.

ODU vs. VCU = So if you want to watch a close game in this timeslot, tune in this one instead.

Louisville vs. Pittsburgh = Or even this one, if those above are sucky by halftime. The Cardinals have had a crazy season, and the Panthers have been even nuttier. Hell, I never thought they'd come into this holding 2-4 and 0-6 Big East records, did you? But this does mean that neither can stand many more Ls, so figure both Pitino and Dixon will have their boys primed.

Murray State vs. SIU Edwardsville = And if Joe's Racers don't absolutely romp over the 5-11, 3-4 Cougars, even if it's on the road, then they should add a dishonorary loss onto their unblemished record just on general principles.

Air Force vs. San Diego State = Quietly, or at least more quietly than last year, the Aztecs are building another great season. The Falcons could spoil that late tonight, as they can hoop and swoop a little, but I would not count on it. Still, it ought to be fun.

New Mexico vs. UNLV = So should this one, and even in Sin City I give the Lobos a decent chance at pulling down the Runnin' Rebels, or at the least nipping at their heels all night.

St. Mary's vs. Santa Clara = For no particular reasons I can name, I have grown to like both these teams over the years. Maybe it's because they play well, play clean, play tough opponents, and pretty much keep their yaps shut. The Gaels have the much-superior squad this year, but I don't expect the Broncos to simply roll over on their own court. They won't win, barring strange circumstances, but they will do their best to compete.

While typing all that garbage above, a few more finals came in:

Georgetown 52 - Rutgers 50 = The Hoyas avoid what might have been an embarrassing loss on their court, even if just barely. Meanwhile, the Scarlet Knights can't be too disappointed with another good showing, despite the loss.

Wake Forest 71 - Boston College 56 = Wow. Though I'm not surprised the Deacs won, seeing as how they've played better at times than was expected, such a spanking was unexpected. Hey, this was in Chestnut Hill, not Winston-Salem or Greensboro!

Michigan State 83 - Purdue 58 = Another somewhat surprising spanking, for much the same reason. True, it was in East Lansing, and the Spartans have been better than the Boilermakers. Still, a 25-point margin between these two is unusual.

Kentucky 77 - Alabama 71 = And there is nothing at all surprising about this one, at least to me. The Wildcats win at home, and the Tide gave them much more of a fight than they wanted. It's somewhat lucky for Calipari that his young team seems to have learned how to win the tight ones as opposed to lose them. I guess I could give the credit to Cal's coaching, but as I don't think he actually DOES any, I cannot bring myself to do so.

Lunchtime, brothers. I'll try to get back later with some more early finals, and a look at Sunday games. Bye for now.