Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-20-2011, 06:16 PM   #1
Boogie2dope

Default What do you think about "Expensive Cigars?"

Good day my BOTL,

Today I picked up a Graycliff Pirate Emerald (Green Label) simply for the hell of it. Most of what I've read about this brand is that it is simply overpriced for the quality delivered. However it is the holiday season and I decided to splurge and try a few sticks that are above my means. I also bought a Davidoff Small Perfecto and an Avo XO Maestoso, all smokes that I would never buy on a normal basis because I simply can't afford to spend 15$-20$ per stick. I smoked the Avo today and did enjoy it, but in the end I've plenty other sticks that are half the price I enjoy more. Sooooooo.....

My question is this, banning the reason of "if you've got it to spend, spend it," how do you folks feel about "elite" cigars? Cubans are one thing, they can be hard to get, there is a high demand, etc., and the prices on those puppies "may" be justifiable. But sticks you can pickup at any decent B&M or online, is there any real reason to spend this type of money on a smoke? Also, it isn't just the elite names that are pricey these days. I've seen quite a few cheaper brands produce limited runs or "special" version of their sticks that are priced in the 15$+ range/piece.

I suppose there is a part of me that is frustrated, because I feel price should reflect quality. Are all of these pricey smokes made with extremely old tobacco? Do they have wrappers grown in the most difficult of climates? I looooove good cigars, as I know all my brothers out there do too! But it's getting to the point were I can hardly afford to try a lot of new sticks because they are just too expensive! The worst part is, I want to try them! I desire to purchase these cigars and smoke them!

Maybe I just needed to vent, and if so then I appreciate you gents (and ladies) allowing me a space to do so. If I can smoke an exspensive stick and say at the end, "damn that was worth it," than perhaps I'm not talking about those smokes (but still.) .....eh, life goes on.

~Boogie