Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-25-2008, 02:36 PM   #1
PaleRider

Default El Producto Bouquet Circa 1926....(Wow!)

First off, I would like to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas! As this is a very special day, I selected a very special smoke to memorialize the occassion. About 2 weeks ago I had the pleasure of acquiring a 5 pack of El Producto Bouquet .10C size cigars. The unbroken Tax stamp was from 1926.

History tells us of an ambitious Russian immigrant with an eye for tobacco, a head for business, that was also an adept negotiator. These qualities were what gave birth to an American Icon, El Producto Cigars.

G.H.P. Co. was one of the leading cigar producers in the U.S. When these were manufactured, they were rolled by hand. This band survives even now, albeit a mere shadow of its former self. But definitely a testament to the passion that went into the development of this band, as well as a great American story.

On to the review-
El Producto- Bouquet .10c size Circa 1926
Vitola-Perfecto 4 1/2 X 42
Wrapper-Conneticut Shade
Binder-Puerto Rican
Filler-Puerto Rican and Cuban Long fillers.

The packaging is quite nice. Still in amazing condition for it's age. The 1926 tax stamp is still intact. I am a little nervouse about opening these. There is an interesting aroma of musk, earth and tobacco.

And for the first time in 82 years this cigar is free from its cello. The band is breathtaking and spectacular. It looks as though it was printed only yesterday.

Construction-The box press makes for a very nice presentation. The wrapper is obviously old. I found some bloom left on one side. The cigar is light, yet very firm and well made. It's bouquet makes my hands shake. It is as though I am about to step through the mirror!

With a nervous hand clip of it's cap my Xikar yeilds an effortless draw. A grassy, musty flavor is present.

A special cigar such as this required a special light. Santa brought me an S.T. Dupont Ligne 1 for Christmas this year. Apparently I've been a very good boy this year!

I fire the Dupont, I am nervous I must say. The cigar accepts the flame readily, and thus accepts it's terminal fate.

Within the first inch I am greeted with an instant intense spiciness. I find this to be quite surprising, as this is, after all, an 82 year old cigar. Shortly after the spicy blast is a silky smoothness with a slightly sweet note. Oh my God this is so smooth! Fraught with complexity, I am blown away! Ash is a medium gray, tightly formed, releases readily from the body when requested.

Moving into the second third the spice is returning, it is something of a dried red pepper flake spice, not overbearing though, very pleasant. There are amazing volumes of thick gray smoke. I am surprised by this considering the small RG. The aroma is of leather and cream with a slight grassy note. Burn is precise, surprisingly so.

It is truly amazing how the smoke develops on the pallete. I can't remember this ever happening in 15 years of enjoying cigars. It starts out very smooth and slightly sweet, suddenly there is a gradual transition to a marvelous spice and earth flavor.

Final Third and Finish-Infintiely complex with an emphasis of spice and a hint of mint. I can't even begin to accurately describe the aroma now. Suffice it to say, it is amazing.

Overall Impressions-With an odd sense of loss, regret and yet exhilaration, I come to the end of this journey. Grateful for the experience, yet fully aware that this is now gone forever. It was as if visited by a the vapor of a long lost friend, and they had to return back to the past. It was a journey through the windows of time, and for 40 minutes it was December 25th. 1926, and I was there!