Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-13-2010, 07:50 AM   #1
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Have you noticed cigars widening your appreciation for other things?

Since I've become heavily involved in cigars, I've noticed my appreciation and attention to other things has grown appreciably.
Bear with me, and I'll try to explain what I mean. I want to know if you guys have seen a similar effect.

Since I've become seriously involved in cigars, analyzing them, paying excruciating attention to the details and nuances, it's spilled over to a lot of other parts of my life. I pay far more attention to food, for instance. Lisa and I eat out a lot. We like lots of odd stuff and try all kinds of different things all the time. I find myself "picking apart" my food, figuring out what is in the dishes, paying attention to all the hidden flavors, and discussing them with Lisa.
I put all those small "reviews" in my brain, and use them later to pick out things we might like from menus. That helps us to try more interesting things, based on our personal profile we've built. I do it very much, if not exactly, the way I choose cigars.

Another place I do it is in selecting wines. I don't drink at all, but Lisa really enjoys wine. I do about 90% of the wine buying, and I read everything. By asking Lisa questions and talking to all the girls in her family, I've been able to figure out where her "profile" is, and I can drag home odd stuff that her and the girls would not likely try, although I'm very safe in knowing they'll enjoy it.

The reason I'm mentioning this is that I hadn't ever even thought about this spill-over effect until a few days ago. On a certain level, I didn't know I was doing it, or that I had learned this new level of appreciation for simple things via my cigar fascination. It's very much enhanced my pleasure and appreciation for SO many things I'd have rushed past.
By allowing cigars to teach me how to slow down, relax, and smell the roses, a whole new layer of life and the world has been opened up to me. It's a new level of "understanding things" that I didn't know existed. I sure wasn't looking for it, it just arrived via this hobby as a bonus gift.

I was wondering if you guys have noticed this same "phenomenon", for lack of a better word. Maybe you already possessed this level of discernment and carried it into the cigar hobby, or maybe this hobby helped refine your discernment in other facets of your life?
I ask because I've found great joy in all of this, and hoped maybe you all can turn my nose in the right direction that I might open my eyes to even more of life's joy without having to accidentally bump my head on it like I normally do.