Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-11-2010, 09:05 AM   #1
floydpink
crazy diamond

First Name: Pete
Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation
Default an alternative to Corona in Orlando

I've been wanting to try out the new restaurant, "Dragonfly", across the street from Corona and had a chance last night. Sat at the sushi bar and had some excellent rolls.

A few stores down is "Stogies", which is much smaller than Corona but has a full bar.

The humidor is very limited, but they said they are always adding.

A younger sales clerk followed me around the walk in humidor asking what I liked, felt like smoking, and that type of thing to the point I nearly felt uneasy, but realized he was being very enthusiastic about his job which is hard to find anymore.

Many of the favorites like Tat. Pepin, Fuente, and Padron are on hand for a little less than Corona per stick.

What I found here was a "neighborhood bar" type of feel and easily struck up a conversation with the bartender who asked me which of the waitresses I would like to bring me a free sample of the rums they were promoting.

The very nice blonde brought me my rum to go with my Guinness draft and spent about 15 minutes talking to me about redfishing in Mosquito Lagoon, a passion we both apparantly share. She reminded me a lot of Carrie Underwood.

I noticed a lot of tables that the bartender told me were regulars, at which I thought might be me in the future.

Many times when I am alone at a place I find myself staring at the game on tv or messing around with my iPhone, but this place didn't seem to let you do that and several people initiated conversation, which I suppose might not be good for someone who wants to be left alone.

So often at Corona, unless I am herfing with friends, it seems as though people are keeping to themselves for the most part, which isn't always a badthing either.

Overall a much more laid back atmosphere than Corona, which sometimes gets filled with pretentious types from the surrounding pretentious neighborhood called Dr. Phillips.

Again, not nearly the selection or cigar heaven feel of Corona, but certainly a place I will visit again.

Stogies sits in a multi-level shopping area called Via Dellagio that has some great new restaurants and upscale shops. It is directly across Sand Lake from Corona.

Last edited by floydpink; 12-11-2010 at 09:12 AM.
floydpink is offline   Reply With Quote