Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-24-2010, 09:55 AM   #1
gijoey959

Default Newb review- Cain Habano 550 (the smaller one)

Here is my newbie review of a Cain Habano cigar from the box I bought during the Cain F tour. This is the tl;dr version derived from my notes I took during the smoke, I'll post the full thing next post

I don't know when these cigars were rolled, but I bought them April 22nd and let them sit, so they can't be insanely new 0_o I've smoked most of the box, and have come to expect certain things from the cigar by now, but I never really stopped to taste it carefully, so I will try to be as accurate with the taste as possible. I light it using the toasting method here
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1906
but I used a standard bic lighter. I don't have a cutter, so I cut the wrapper off at the cap and exposed the end of the tobacco instead of clipping the end. A pre-light draw gave a 100% match with bran flakes, and the resistance was good. it was very windy, and you'll see how that comes into effect later.

1/3
I finished letting the cigar settle after the toasting and I puffed a few times, nothing but wood and tobacco flavor, that's about all that happened this third

2/3
early on in this third, wood took a step back and let spice start to creep in, I can't say what spice, maybe white pepper, but I've never tasted white pepper. As I went deeper in, both the wood and tobacco taste got more subtle and gave way to creamy feeling medium thick smoke and spice with a hint of herby grass. the wind caused the cigar to burn very un-evenly, so I evened it out, and the wind proceeded to put it out, so I re-lit the thing plain ol' draw and light style and went on my way.

3/3
Cigar body getting soft, smoke is really creamy now, but still medium thickness. I can't let it sit in this wind for longer than 30 seconds or it will go out, but I managed to keep the smoke cool. Major leather taste in this third, some hints of un-brewed coffee and licorice, but grass and leather is mainly what I taste. I did find a major vein in the end of the cigar, and I pulled it out revealing that it was about 3 inches long and about as thick as a twig on a young tree, it really loosened up the smoke, but I managed to keep the flavor the same at the end

When all is said and done, still one of my favorite smokes, you do get better, creamier ones every once and a while, but this is a good example of the average I found in my box.