Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-11-2009, 12:34 PM   #1
nyisles

Default Cigar Review: Tatuaje Cojonu 2009

Christmas came in April for me this year. Peter Cottontail played the roll of Santa Claus and delivered to me 2 boxes of the new Tatuaje Cojonu 2009 cigars. Released in a new size every three years, the 2009 follows the 2003 and the 2006. Every cigar is made from first generation Cuban seed. I’ve seen multiple sizes listed for the 2009 however, using a rule and a ring gauge measurement tool it comes out to 7 x 49. It’s basically a churchill with a belicoso cap.

Cigar: Tatuaje Cojonu 2009
Size: 7 x 49
Origin: Nicaragua
Wrapper: Nicaragua
Binder:Nicaragua
Filler: Nicaragua

Appearance and Construction (19/20): The wrapper of this cigar is very toothy with a lot of veins but finding the seams of the roll were virtually impossible. There was one small imperfection on the wrapper with a slight circular tear. It was the only one in the box with an imperfection. The triple cap was flawless and the foot was packed with tobacco. And the cigar had no soft spots at all.

Flavor & Notes (28/30): The foot of the cigar offered some pepper notes which sent me into a sneezing fit. The prelight draw offered some coffee notes. Before lighting the cigar up there was a saltiness to the wrapper that I picked up during the prelight draw. The first third of the cigar is incredible. The cigar has some salty notes from the wrapper, but the smoke is a little bit earthy with some nuts and coffee. There is some pepper here as well, but I don’t think it’s as potent as the previous versions. Either that or I am just more used to it. The cigar during the second third is more leather than earth with some nice nuttiness that is easily defined. The final third of this delicious cigar is very nutty with hints of earth and cedar.

Burn/Ash/Draw (24/25):
The burn on all the cigars I smoked so far out of the box were fairly even. There was a slight jaggedness but to mention it is nitpicking. The ash was a mottled gray with some flake but I was impressed at the ash. On this review cigar I kept the ash for 4″ which was slightly more then the norm of others I have smoked. The draw was impeccable.

Overall (23/25): The majority of people I know prefer the 2003 over the 2006. And the question asked of me is how does the 2009 compare. Hands down it is better than the 2006. There is no comparison. However, when it comes down to the 09 vs the 03 the answer is more complicated. I like it better, but the difference is so close I am not even sure if a winner could be declared. I am curious to how I will feel in a few weeks when the cigar has been around for a while.

Have you had the 2009 yet? Which Tatuaje Cojonu do you prefer the 03, 06 or the 09?

Rating: 94
Price: $15.00 (NYC)