Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-23-2015, 10:51 AM   #1
Lorglath
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
Bolivar
Lorglath is on a distinguished road
Default How to fix mold issue in large humidor

I have a large humidor that I had converted out of a china hutch. I have placed Spanish cedar along the back wall, and made new shelves out of Spanish cedar. I also have fans in the shelves blowing up the right hand side, and down the left hand side, while alternating front and back positioning from level to level. For humidity, I have put in a Cigar Oasis Magna that I have filled with distilled water....

When I stored this set up in my basement in MN, I never had an issue with humidity or temps as the basement stayed between 60-65F, and the humidity only went low when I forgot to refill the thing for prolonged amounts of time. I have recently moved and need to keep it upstairs for the time being but I have had an explosion of mold and need to know how to wipe it out!

My humidity has been around 60-65% but my temps have been in the 70-75F range. As soon as I see it I wipe the mold off, and try to isolate sticks to a given area, but I also notice when cleaning my cigar oasis that there was some mold inside itself that it was blowing around.... to fix this I used Alcohol to clean it thoroughly and it hasn't crept up again on the Oasis, but even at 60-65% my cigars are growing mold....

I am at my wits end and considering burning the damned thing, taking the cigars with no hint of mold and putting them into a cooler-dor and keeping the damned moldy cigars segregated and smoking em ASAP...

Has anyone gone through anything similar? Suggestions on how to fix it? Is there anything I can add to the water reservoir to keep it from getting mold? I know there is some bacteriostaic solution to put into home humidifiers, and wondering if anything similar to this is safe for cigars... http://www.amazon.com/…/B000…/ref=oh...lpage_o03_s00…

Please help!
Lorglath is offline   Reply With Quote