Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 02-02-2010, 03:06 PM   #121
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cool iPhone/touch Apps, what do you like?

I grabbed OrbMedia and Logmein Ignition.
I can now stream anything and work on my computer remotely all from my iPhone.
With logmein, I can work on anyone else's computer, too.
Thanks, Vic!!!
Old 02-09-2010, 10:34 AM   #122
BigAsh
Don't knock the Ash...

First Name: Keith
Trading: (46)
Partagas
BigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to behold

cool new app.... Siri ....its a "personal ass't"....just downloaded it, FREE, and it made reservations for me for dinner tonite....WAY COOL!
Old 02-09-2010, 10:37 AM   #123
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAsh View Post
cool new app.... Siri ....its a "personal ass't"....just downloaded it, FREE, and it made reservations for me for dinner tonite....WAY COOL!
I used a generic pizza app awhile back. It ordered me three wrong pizzas instead of the two I put in.
I'm kind of afraid to let an app take care of stuff like that now, but I'm going to try it anyways.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:50 AM   #124
BigAsh
Don't knock the Ash...

First Name: Keith
Trading: (46)
Partagas
BigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to behold

hooked into Open Table for dinner reservations...you can ask it all types of questions/tasks from "call me a cab", to where's the closest gas station....pretty neat
Old 02-15-2010, 03:37 PM   #125
drevim
On the inside looking out

First Name: Ian
Trading: (6)
Partagas
drevim has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
I grabbed OrbMedia and Logmein Ignition.
I can now stream anything and work on my computer remotely all from my iPhone.
With logmein, I can work on anyone else's computer, too.
Thanks, Vic!!!

Got both of these as well. Really like Orb, haven't had a chance to play with LogMeIn a lot yet. Only issue I have with Orb, is the need to add stuff over the computer. I was hoping it would do the updates easier, after something was added to the selected folders. Unless I'm missing something... (which is always possible).
Old 02-15-2010, 04:44 PM   #126
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by drevim View Post
Got both of these as well. Really like Orb, haven't had a chance to play with LogMeIn a lot yet. Only issue I have with Orb, is the need to add stuff over the computer. I was hoping it would do the updates easier, after something was added to the selected folders. Unless I'm missing something... (which is always possible).
I haven't used Orb a lot because I've been at home. I used logmein to remotely add all my files to Orb while I was in Ohio a couple weeks ago.
I also used logmein to share pics on my home computer while I was out there at family day.
Since I got Orb and logmein, I gave my daughter my laptop and sold hers. I couldn't be more happy knowing I'll never have to lug a laptop around again. Now I'm just waiting on the iPads to roll out. I'm going to grab a wireless model until the 3G becomes available, then I may go that way. I'm not sure yet. I might just be happy with the wireless only model, but I want to get one for my daughter and my girlfriend, too. I need to check them out first, so I'll just play with the base model for a bit.
I upgraded my wireless router this week so I have the pipe to take care of all the wireless everything here, and to give me the range to work all over the property. Now I just have to get the shop cleaned out and get the heat on and I can get back to work.
Old 02-15-2010, 04:46 PM   #127
Resipsa

For you Slingbox owners and fans:

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/S...98?nocomment=1

Mobile tv over 3g with the Sling app now. Can only guess what kind of traffic this is going to cause once the IPad ships, but this is a good thing for iphone owners who also have slingboxes.
Old 02-20-2010, 11:01 PM   #128
drob
Superbowl XLIV Champs!

Trading: (8)
AirForce (Retired)
drob is on a distinguished road

USGA Rules of Golf. Not free, but worth the $3.99. Easy to search, etc.
Slacker (but I can't figure out how to create stations from my phone).
USA Today
WeatherBug
Pandora

I'm new at this (first Android phone), so I am still discovering what is out there.
But, so far, I am loving it!
Old 02-21-2010, 02:48 AM   #129
drevim

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by drob View Post
USGA Rules of Golf. Not free, but worth the $3.99. Easy to search, etc.
Slacker (but I can't figure out how to create stations from my phone).
USA Today
WeatherBug
Pandora

I'm new at this (first Android phone), so I am still discovering what is out there.
But, so far, I am loving it!
Doyle, opinions are like...so take this for what it's worth....But I tried weatherbug, and liked the Weather Channel app better. Not sure what is available on the Droid, opposed to the Iphone, but it may be worth a look.

Being new to the whole Iphone experience, I spent a ton of time looking at appshopper. com and just sorting through and looking for different things, plus reading through this thread. Again, not sure how well anything translates to the Droid, but seems a good place to start.
Old 02-21-2010, 06:42 AM   #130
Sauer Grapes
Snatchin' yo people up

Trading: (44)
Cohiba
Sauer Grapes has disabled reputation

For games I've been enjoying Flood It 2.
Sauer Grapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:39 AM   #131
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

I've been playing Angry Birds. It's a physics based game, it's totally addictive, and it's funny. It's the first iPhone game I can't put down.
I also picked up Project 72, and it looks like it'll be a lot of fun once I get past Angry Birds.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:58 AM   #132
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

First Name: Bob
Trading: (7)
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough

I like Sleep Cycle. You lay it on your bed and it uses the accelerometer to measure how deeply you're sleeping. In the morning, it wakes you while you're sleeping lightly, rather than an exact time. Avoids that feeling that you were just blown up by your alarm clock.
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:59 AM   #133
drevim

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharf Rat View Post
I like Sleep Cycle. You lay it on your bed and it uses the accelerometer to measure how deeply you're sleeping. In the morning, it wakes you while you're sleeping lightly, rather than an exact time. Avoids that feeling that you were just blown up by your alarm clock.
I was looking at that, and was curious if it worked. I was also concerned with the way I toss and turn all night that it would wake me 2 hours after I go to bed.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:28 AM   #134
RUNYYFan
Life, Liberty, Happiness

First Name: Marc
Trading: (0)
Partagas
RUNYYFan will become famous soon enough

A few of the ones I use have already been mentioned, Shazam, epocrates, eBay, FaceBook, and WSJ.

Some others I appreciate having are:

FlightAware - punch in the flight number or the tail number of a plane and you can track it on a live map.

Park 'n Find - uses the GPS to capture your current location. When you want to get back to that place, it will guide you to site on a map. Used it down at Tropicana Field in December to ind my rental car with no problem. Accurate to within about 10 feet of actual location.

TweetDeck - great little app that runs just like the full-blown version for your computer. Will follow feeds for Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, and MySpace (gag). Cool feature is that you can tap in a message once, including location and pictures, and choose one or multiple accounts to send the message to.

Keeper - password maintenance app that also lets you save info to your computer. Gotcha is the computer version is $29.00.

Barnes & Noble

Convert - great app to convert measurements. Includes topics such as Area, Computer, Currency, Energy, Force, Pressure, Speed.

Since I have photography as a hobby, I also find DOF (Depth of Field) Master and SmugShot to be useful. SmugShot lets you upload photos you've taken with the iPhone right to your SmugMug account.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:29 AM   #135
Resipsa

Ambiance, for those with trouble sleeping like me. Countless "white noise" type options to mix and match, plus fade out options for the sleep noise gnerator, and fade in options for your alarm sound. I currently use my own rainstorm, windstorm, train on the tracks noise to fall asleep to, and we wake to a Chinese gong that slowly increases in volume over 45 minutes so we don't get jarred awake. Well worth the 99 cents it costs
Old 02-22-2010, 06:22 PM   #136
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

First Name: Bob
Trading: (7)
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by drevim View Post
I was looking at that, and was curious if it worked. I was also concerned with the way I toss and turn all night that it would wake me 2 hours after I go to bed.
Can't really make guarantees for you. I can tell you it works fine although I very often need to get out of bed for a little while . It keeps a graph of your whole night and just shows it as being awake a while.
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:24 PM   #137
Razorhog
Feeling at Home

First Name: Beau
Trading: (4)
Razorhog is on a distinguished road

I just got a word game called "Bookworm". It is made by Pop Cap, the makers of Bejeweled, Peggle, and other good games. If you like word games, check it out! Very fun.
Razorhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:07 PM   #138
rack04
Lebowski Urban Achiever

First Name: Justin
Trading: (20)
HUpmann
rack04 will become famous soon enoughrack04 will become famous soon enough

Anyone know of a way to bypass iTunes to load videos to the iPhone. I have some video files with quality settings that are not supported by iTunes but will play fine on the device. I just need a way around iTunes.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:40 AM   #139
Resipsa

Justin how do you know they'll play fine on the device if they aren't already on the device?
Old 03-23-2010, 05:23 AM   #140
rack04
Lebowski Urban Achiever

First Name: Justin
Trading: (20)
HUpmann
rack04 will become famous soon enoughrack04 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resipsa View Post
Justin how do you know they'll play fine on the device if they aren't already on the device?
The developer of the video compression software I use reported that the iPhone 3GS is capable of playing high profile video files that are not accepted by iTunes.