Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 09-04-2009, 08:43 PM   #1
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

First Name: Warren
Trading: (19)
BlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the rough
Default Padilla Signature 1932 Robusto

I'm smoking a Padilla Signature 1932 robusto. I don't recall who I got it from. It started out very spicy and leathery. I can't compare it to any of the DPG's as I'm not familiar enough, but I couldn't snork it. Would have blown my top off.

After the first inch it settled into a nice smooth chocolate and earthy favor. For some reason it reminds me of an autumn forest.

The burn remains nice and sharp throughout. The aroma of the cigar resting on the ashtray is lovely.

At the half way mark I'm getting flavors of espresso. I'm very impressed with this cigar.

The spice increases a bit, but not so mich as the first inch. Towards the end the cigar becomes a little ashy flavored. I try to stick with it for a bit, but I'n not enjoying the ashiness, so I let it die.

Overall I liked this cigar very much. I'd score it 8 out of 10. Definitely one I'd buy.
Posted via Mobile Device
BlackDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 08:50 PM   #2
Ratters
Have My Own Room

Trading: (2)
Ratters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Padilla Signature 1932 Robusto

Yep, these are a great smoke. Every once in awhile they come up on Joe for pretty good prices. I scored ten of them last time and wish I woulda got more.
Ratters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 08:54 PM   #3
mcmoyer
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Michael
Trading: (25)
Navy (Served With Honor)
mcmoyer is on a distinguished road

This was the first cigar I ever smoked that made me think "man, I want to do THAT again!" Love the whole 1932 line.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:49 PM   #4
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

First Name: Warren
Trading: (19)
BlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the rough

Ufda! I just looked at CI. I had no idea these cigars were so pricey. Yowza! Whoever gave this to me, thank you!
Old 09-04-2009, 09:50 PM   #5
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Thanks for the review!
Posted via Mobile Device
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 09:54 PM   #6
mcmoyer
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Michael
Trading: (25)
Navy (Served With Honor)
mcmoyer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog View Post
Ufda! I just looked at CI. I had no idea these cigars were so pricey. Yowza! Whoever gave this to me, thank you!
Like Ratters said, they come up on Joe Cigar at a really decent price...keep your eye out for them!

Old 09-05-2009, 06:23 AM   #7
BlackIrish
MassHole Militia

First Name: Eddie
Trading: (55)
LGC
BlackIrish has a spectacular aura aboutBlackIrish has a spectacular aura about

Great cigar. Check CBid too.
Posted via Mobile Device
BlackIrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 08:17 AM   #8
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

Very nice review!!!

Theses are tasty!!!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 08:23 AM   #9
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

These are one of my favorite NCs. They have been blowing them out on cBid so I have been stocking up!!
Old 09-05-2009, 10:54 AM   #10
NickyTeen
My barn door is open

First Name: Kriss
Trading: (12)
Partagas
NickyTeen will become famous soon enoughNickyTeen will become famous soon enough

Nice review on a great cigar! I think Pepin stopped making these about a year ago. My understanding is the new blend just has a different wrapper.(feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) I have some of each blend with about a years age on them and they both are smoking well. The Pepin might have a little more kick to it, but i honestly don't think I could tell which is which in a blind taste test. Like others have said there are some good deals on these if your patient.
NickyTeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 08:07 PM   #11
WyGuy
Boiler Up!

First Name: Mike
Trading: (16)
Bolivar
WyGuy will become famous soon enoughWyGuy will become famous soon enough

Had one of these earlier today, definitely a great stick!
WyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 09:13 PM   #12
bookman

Have some lancero. Nice and oily. Love to try a robusto! Nice review, matey.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:42 AM   #13
vankleekkw
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Kris
Trading: (3)
Bolivar
vankleekkw is on a distinguished road

These are in my top 5 of sticks smoking right now. A very good smoke that can be picked up cheap from time to time.
vankleekkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 08:03 AM   #14
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice review.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:55 AM   #15
Giant & 49er Fan
Formerly known as RPguy

First Name: Jaime
Trading: (35)
Bolivar
Giant & 49er Fan has a spectacular aura aboutGiant & 49er Fan has a spectacular aura aboutGiant & 49er Fan has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog View Post
I'm smoking a Padilla Signature 1932 robusto. I don't recall who I got it from. It started out very spicy and leathery. I can't compare it to any of the DPG's as I'm not familiar enough, but I couldn't snork it. Would have blown my top off.

After the first inch it settled into a nice smooth chocolate and earthy favor. For some reason it reminds me of an autumn forest.

The burn remains nice and sharp throughout. The aroma of the cigar resting on the ashtray is lovely.

At the half way mark I'm getting flavors of espresso. I'm very impressed with this cigar.

The spice increases a bit, but not so mich as the first inch. Towards the end the cigar becomes a little ashy flavored. I try to stick with it for a bit, but I'n not enjoying the ashiness, so I let it die.

Overall I liked this cigar very much. I'd score it 8 out of 10. Definitely one I'd buy.
Posted via Mobile Device

Great review and I would agree with it totally! Thanks!
Old 09-07-2009, 10:42 AM   #16
scooter

Thanks for the great review.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:52 AM   #17
adampc22

hmmmm i think i have one of these i may have to burn it
Old 09-07-2009, 08:35 PM   #18
Cigary

Always keep my humidor with at least half a box of these,,,always a good smoke.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:11 PM   #19
SupremePie

one of my first, and to this day favorite, smokes. I don't think I have had one since Pepin stopped making them, though.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:47 PM   #20
njstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyTeen View Post
Nice review on a great cigar! I think Pepin stopped making these about a year ago. My understanding is the new blend just has a different wrapper.(feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) I have some of each blend with about a years age on them and they both are smoking well. The Pepin might have a little more kick to it, but i honestly don't think I could tell which is which in a blind taste test. Like others have said there are some good deals on these if your patient.
I'm a noob here and hate to be "that guy," but you're thinking of the Padilla Miami, which has a new wrapper compared to the Padilla Miami 8&11. Many have said the old one is better, can't comment from experience. The new version of the robusto got a 94 rating in CI, whether or not that means anything is up to you, lol.

But both the Padilla 1932 and Miami (as well as the old Miami 8&11) were blended by Ernesto Padilla, NOT by Pepin. They were assembled in Pepin's factory, though, until about a year (year and a half?) ago. Ernesto was very involved in the process with Pepin back then, and of course now that it's being assembled in his shop as well. I don't know if Don Pepin "consulted" on the blends in any way or not, but according to Pepin and Padilla they were both totally Ernesto Padilla creations. I personally don't care, but I like Pepin's cigars a lot and think these Padillas taste good enough to be up there with those, imvho.

The 1932 is supposedly the exact same cigar in every way, just rolled on different tables. I won't tell you that makes no difference, it very well may. Again, I've not had the Pepin-rolled version of the 1932 either (though by definition that now has a decent amount of age on them, making a side-by-side difficult).

All I know is that the "new" 1932s are one of my favorite cigars. They're just great in every way to me, one of my go-to "nice" cigars along with the Tat Havana VI line. I love the 1932 toro a LOT, but just had a lancero a couple days ago and that was a really fabulous cigar!