Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 07-02-2009, 06:31 AM   #21
Jimbo14
Habano Man

First Name: James
Trading: (0)
Montecristo
Jimbo14 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: B&M Smoking....don't like it.

I will always smoke straight from my B&M, I have never noticed a difference or problem.
Jimbo14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 07:12 AM   #22
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (19)
ERdM Navy (Retired)
Volt has disabled reputation

Hmmm, I concur with the cigars usually not smoking well/tasting good right off the shelf.

As to the bringing in a smoke, if I can't I will not shop there either. I always purchase a fiver to the one I will smoke. I don't argue with them or even bring it up if they disallow outside smokes. Their loss.

Locally, Bonds lost a Newport News herf this past spring that had about 18 people because they would not allow outside cigars. I can't imagine how much coin they lost that day. I had intended to buy a 30ct traveldor the day of the herf. Bailey's made out like a bandit with the food and beer sales. In this day and age, i would think any way to get people in a store is a good thing, but I'm not in retail either.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:17 AM   #23
loki
H.A.T.E

Trading: (7)
Partagas
loki will become famous soon enoughloki will become famous soon enough

i've never been to a shop that didn't allow outside cigars
loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 07:47 AM   #24
ChasDen

Smoking straight from B&M - Depends on the the shop. There are a few locals I frequent on a reg basis. One I buy mostly my pipe tobacco from and a few cigars. Their stuff is always way too wet and the top end sticks sit so long they often begin to mold up (in separate cases from big walk in). Another shop keeps his stuff closer to 60-65, moves a lot of stock and often light his up right out of the door and they smoke great.

Smoking at shops - The second shop has a nice "hang out" area to smoke, never stayed and done it but there always is someone hanging around smoking. Think I heard he "asks" that you buy what you smoke, but his prices are reasonable, sticks are good to go and would bet based on the way he has treated me, if you buy something and smoke something you brought he would not say a word.

Chas
Old 07-02-2009, 07:52 AM   #25
JJG
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (4)
Partagas
JJG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki View Post
i've never been to a shop that didn't allow outside cigars
I think if you are going to enjoy a B&M's lounge, its nice to go ahead and show some support by picking up a few smokes, but nobody has ever asked to see if I was smoking a store bought cigar.

also, it's probably hard to keep a large walk-in at the perfect humidity and I wouldn't be surprised if many places keep theirs overly humid to compensate for the constant traffic.
JJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 08:50 AM   #26
WildBlueSooner
I'm nuts for the place

AirForce (Served With Honor)
WildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura aboutWildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura aboutWildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo14 View Post
I will always smoke straight from my B&M, I have never noticed a difference or problem.
I do not have "a" B&M to call home, but when I have bought and smoked from B&Ms I do not taste a different. This is all very strange because I have always heard that B&Ms get the good sticks and the internet stores get the rejects
Old 07-02-2009, 09:40 AM   #27
Col. Kurtz
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jerry
Trading: (26)
RA
Col. Kurtz has a spectacular aura aboutCol. Kurtz has a spectacular aura aboutCol. Kurtz has a spectacular aura about

I guess we're extremely lucky here in Raleigh to have several great B&M's to choose from. I recently had a wrapper problem on a stick I bought a week earlier. I took it back, no receipt, no questions, no problems, pick something else out and throw it in the chuck bucket. Oh, and the guy wasn't even there when I bought the stick.

Oh, and all his sticks smoke great right off the shelf.

Thanks Hal, David, and Derek!
Old 07-02-2009, 09:46 AM   #28
gnukfu
I like cigars

First Name: George
Trading: (27)
LGC
gnukfu is a jewel in the roughgnukfu is a jewel in the roughgnukfu is a jewel in the roughgnukfu is a jewel in the rough

Haven't had an issue with the sticks from my local B&M when I have smoked them right away versus sitting in non B&M storage. Sometimes I buy em and put em in my locker to smoke another time, sometimes I smoke right after I buy em, sometimes I bring em home and put em in one of my coolers. Never really noticed a difference

gnukfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 09:47 AM   #29
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
Have never smoked a stick at a B&M, as I too and of the mind set to bring em home and let em rest for a little bit.
Never? You gotta sit down some time and have a smoke with the guys. Buy a PC or something less expensive if you wish to compensate for the humidity, but a lot of good conversation can be had at a B&M. Give it a shot sometime. You may find that you do it more often.

rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 09:50 AM   #30
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

For as long as you buy some sticks from there you should be able to smoke whatever you want.. Bring your own sticks, buy some from there and take off the labels of the cigars you smoke. They will have no idea what you are smoking.

I have never had a problem with my local B&M's with their rH of the humi's. Everything fresh smokes great.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:48 PM   #31
thebiglebowski
Jack White's Roadie...

First Name: larry
Partagas
thebiglebowski is on a distinguished road

alright, let me get this straight. a cigar from my humidor tastes better than a cigar from the B&M, which also tastes better than a cigar bought on the interwebs (if i remember the hypothesis correctly). but, what if i buy a cigar off the interwebs and stick it in my humi for awhile? will that interwebby cigar then smoke better than a B&M cigar, or should the interwebbiness of that same cigar supercede any yummy legendary goodness imparted upon it by my humidor and still fall short of the cigar purchased at the B&M?

or, maybe i'm just confused... ?
thebiglebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 01:58 PM   #32
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

ERdM Navy (Retired)
Volt has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebiglebowski View Post
alright, let me get this straight. a cigar from my humidor tastes better than a cigar from the B&M, which also tastes better than a cigar bought on the interwebs (if i remember the hypothesis correctly). but, what if i buy a cigar off the interwebs and stick it in my humi for awhile? will that interwebby cigar then smoke better than a B&M cigar, or should the interwebbiness of that same cigar supercede any yummy legendary goodness imparted upon it by my humidor and still fall short of the cigar purchased at the B&M?

Old 07-02-2009, 02:18 PM   #33
csbrewfisher
Welcome to my nightmare

First Name: Jerry
Trading: (10)
LGC Navy (Served With Honor)
csbrewfisher will become famous soon enough

We have two in town.

B&M#1 has a huge humidor, high prices, semi-friendly staff and a regular collection of old farts who can't stand their wives, or whose wives have already left them, and they will bore you to death. Bringing a cigar caddy in is frowned upon. Alcohol is verboten.

B&M#2 has a happy and upbeat owner. When you bring a caddy in he asks if there's anything in there for him to try. He tosses extra sticks into your order. At least once a month he has nickel cigar day (the 5th), caters in food and beer for a herf/vendor event, or has his band play. Bringing in your own adult beverages is encouraged, as is sharing. His humi is smaller than B&M#1, but I ask you...

Which would you rather patronize?

There is a third, but it's insignificant and struggling.
csbrewfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 02:22 PM   #34
SchizoFilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbrewfisher View Post
We have two in town.

B&M#1 has a huge humidor, high prices, semi-friendly staff and a regular collection of old farts who can't stand their wives, or whose wives have already left them, and they will bore you to death. Bringing a cigar caddy in is frowned upon. Alcohol is verboten.

B&M#2 has a happy and upbeat owner. When you bring a caddy in he asks if there's anything in there for him to try. He tosses extra sticks into your order. At least once a month he has nickel cigar day (the 5th), caters in food and beer for a herf/vendor event, or has his band play. Bringing in your own adult beverages is encouraged, as is sharing. His humi is smaller than B&M#1, but I ask you...

Which would you rather patronize?

There is a third, but it's insignificant and struggling.

nobody said anything about a quiz at the end of this thread...I should have paid more attention
Old 07-02-2009, 02:50 PM   #35
scoot
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Pat
scoot is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I think it would smoke better than a cigar straight from the B&M but not as good as a cigar from the B&M that has been resting in the humi.
scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 03:15 PM   #36
King James
Regard Me!

First Name: Jim
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
King James has disabled reputation

I always buy something at the B/M I'm smoking at and if they give me troubles for giving them business, but smoking something I bring I don't go there anymore. There is a b&m around my area that heckled me for doing it and I haven't been back there since.
Old 07-02-2009, 03:46 PM   #37
lightning9191
I think I'm normal...

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (8)
lightning9191 has disabled reputation

Quote:

Yes
Old 07-02-2009, 04:18 PM   #38
Savor the Stick
~Loves the Lord~

First Name: Kevin, or just K
Trading: (67)
Partagas Navy (Served With Honor)
Savor the Stick has disabled reputation

Quote:

I have a headache. Thanks....

I a have always brought my own cigars; and then bought 2-3 from the local B&M while I was there.

I have walked into a B&M with a lit cigar and been asked to put it out and smoke something I buy there. I left and only go back for events that interest me.
Old 07-02-2009, 04:19 PM   #39
WildBlueSooner
I'm nuts for the place

AirForce (Served With Honor)
WildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura aboutWildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura aboutWildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning9191 View Post
Yes
You, sir, are wrong.

The answer is no! But hey you had a 50-50 shot!
Old 07-02-2009, 04:34 PM   #40
alley00p
Adopted MassHole

First Name: Charlie
Trading: (41)
Partagas AirForce (Served With Honor)
alley00p has a spectacular aura aboutalley00p has a spectacular aura aboutalley00p has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbreath View Post
I usually do OK with sticks straight from the humi at my favorite stores. I will usually travel with my own sticks, and if I do take them to a B&M, I make sure I make an equivilant purchase or have purchased the sticks from them initially.

I'm fortunate to have two excellent B&Ms nearby that keep their humidors at 65% or so, so anything that I have bought and smoked there has been fine. I also always bring a 5 stick caddy, and sometimes a bottle of scotch which gets left at my "regular" B&M (the other doesn't condone drinking on prem).

My regular B&M owner doesn't mind if you smoke your own sticks there, but I feel that I should buy at least a stick or two, to sort of pay "rent" while I am smoking and enjoying his air conditioning (or heat, depending on the season).

There are some people who come in carrying their own sticks, smoke them while watching the game on the big screen tv, and then leave without even thinking of buying one stick. B&M owners who have nice smoking lounges and encourage smoking in them are not running Man-caves for the public - they are in business, and anyone who wants to use their stores for a while should buy at least a stick or two!