Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 02-28-2009, 04:08 PM   #21
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of
Default Re: AR guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAlmeter View Post
Thanks for the email. I have it copied if you want to take it down for privacy's sake.

This gun will not likely ever see self-defense duty, except for a SHTF situation. Due to the proximity of other houses, I stay with a 12 ga for general defense work.

EDIT: All signed up...thanks again!
As soon as the admins approve the account I will PM you the password.
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 04:11 PM   #22
AAlmeter
F.U.B.O.

First Name: Adam
Trading: (0)
AAlmeter is on a distinguished road

http://ar15sa.fatcow.com/store/page2.html

Any reason to balk at this deal (they had an add in the EE)?

Stag-15 Model 2HT Pre-Ban

or possibly

Stag-15 Model 4H Pre-Ban

(both on the above link)

Thoughts?
AAlmeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 04:11 PM   #23
AAlmeter
F.U.B.O.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elderboy02 View Post
As soon as the admins approve the account I will PM you the password.
Thanks!
Old 02-28-2009, 04:40 PM   #24
theycallmedan'lboone

just my 2cents building an AR is not the best Idea for someone who doesn't know the weapon very well.
Old 02-28-2009, 04:44 PM   #25
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

I would go with the 2H. I like 16" rifles and the flat top. It is all up to you though if you want a 16" or 20"
Old 02-28-2009, 08:09 PM   #26
Ratters
Have My Own Room

Trading: (2)
Ratters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by theycallmedan'lboone View Post
just my 2cents building an AR is not the best Idea for someone who doesn't know the weapon very well.
Bullocks. All he's doing is putting in the lower parts kit, it's not rocket science and there are plenty of instructions available. I've put together about seven of them and I didn't know how to do it for my first one. Yet they all work great.

Man, things are crazy out here. A buddy went to the gun show today and the cheapest AR he saw was $1,700. Damn, I just sold two for $750 each. I suck.
Ratters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 09:07 PM   #27
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratters View Post
Man, things are crazy out here. A buddy went to the gun show today and the cheapest AR he saw was $1,700. Damn, I just sold two for $750 each. I suck.
Thanks Steve!
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 09:01 AM   #28
pearson
Still Watching My Back

First Name: John
Trading: (5)
Army (Active)
pearson is on a distinguished road

What kind of price range do you what to be in and what do you want it to do?
pearson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 09:49 AM   #29
AAlmeter
F.U.B.O.

I wouldn't say that price is no object, but as long as I stay within reason, it isn't.

I've been mainly looking for a carbine. I don't have much use for a 20", as I have weapons that will outperform the AR at distances.

I think I've decided upon getting the Stag 2H to keep things simple. They have the full setup on the above linked site. I will likely get that, ditch the buttstock, and get a solid buttstock from brownells or something as well as a compensator (here in NY, we still follow the Clinton gun ban).

If anyone runs into anything similar being sold without a 20-25 week wait, please give me a holler. Thanks to all for the help.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:21 AM   #30
pearson
Still Watching My Back

First Name: John
Trading: (5)
Army (Active)
pearson is on a distinguished road

These are some of the best uppers that you can buy and they have great customer service. They will custom build it for you and I have heard it takes less then 4 weeks to get one. I have used some of their other products but not their uppers.

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetac...ail.bok?no=100
pearson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 10:28 AM   #31
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

Bolivar

Adam,

The mods just confirmed your account. I PM'ed you the login info.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:04 AM   #32
AAlmeter
F.U.B.O.

Got it!

Thanks Dan.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:11 PM   #33
GhostRyder
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Sam
Trading: (2)
GhostRyder is on a distinguished road

That LaRue stuff posted above is top notch. LaRue makes quality firearms/accessories. If you want to get creative and go with something other than a direct gas impingment system (ie Piston Upper) then check out the Addax GPU. I love my 16inch Bushy. I do not recommend building an UPPER if you are new to ARs. Headspacing the barrel, etc are some fairly advanced projects in my opinion. That being said, I'm too much of a wuss to try it and I don't have the necessary equipment. Also, torquing a barrel on in my college dorm, at Virginia Tech of all places, would have one of the sheeple literally shitting themselves.
GhostRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 07:23 PM   #34
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostRyder View Post
That LaRue stuff posted above is top notch. LaRue makes quality firearms/accessories. If you want to get creative and go with something other than a direct gas impingment system (ie Piston Upper) then check out the Addax GPU. I love my 16inch Bushy. I do not recommend building an UPPER if you are new to ARs. Headspacing the barrel, etc are some fairly advanced projects in my opinion. That being said, I'm too much of a wuss to try it and I don't have the necessary equipment. Also, torquing a barrel on in my college dorm, at Virginia Tech of all places, would have one of the sheeple literally shitting themselves.
Agreed. LaRue is the best if you can afford it. He is a great guy who does a montly giveaway on AR15.com
Old 03-01-2009, 07:26 PM   #35
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

http://www.model1sales.com

I'm not sure if they have a 5.7mm, but I know they have 5.56mm and 6.8mm in every possibly config. I've heard nothing but good things as far as quality, and you'd be hard pressed to beat their prices. The kits section includes everything but the stripped lower.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:41 PM   #36
AAlmeter
F.U.B.O.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357 View Post
http://www.model1sales.com

I'm not sure if they have a 5.7mm, but I know they have 5.56mm and 6.8mm in every possibly config. I've heard nothing but good things as far as quality, and you'd be hard pressed to beat their prices. The kits section includes everything but the stripped lower.
I've been looking into them Mike. They seem to be very slow, but have a decent product.

Here's what I'm considering:

16'' AR15 C.A.R. Kit, 5.56 NATO, chrome lined chamber & bore, 1-9 twist, target crown, BAN COMPLIANT; A3 w/removable flip rear sight, 4 aperture, $65.00 option; 4 rail gas block sight base, $38.00 option; Standard bolt & carrier; Badger extended latch chg hndl, $14.00 option; YHM free float 4 rail handguard, $100.00 option; Fixed CAR buttstock; Standard A2 grip; Black

Total $712.00

Thoughts?
Old 03-01-2009, 07:55 PM   #37
Will herf for food

VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I've been looking into them Mike. They seem to be very slow, but have a decent product.

Here's what I'm considering:

16'' AR15 C.A.R. Kit, 5.56 NATO, chrome lined chamber & bore, 1-9 twist, target crown, BAN COMPLIANT; A3 w/removable flip rear sight, 4 aperture, $65.00 option; 4 rail gas block sight base, $38.00 option; Standard bolt & carrier; Badger extended latch chg hndl, $14.00 option; YHM free float 4 rail handguard, $100.00 option; Fixed CAR buttstock; Standard A2 grip; Black

Total $712.00

Thoughts?
That's a hell of a price. I have heard Model1Sales is back logged a little because of the election. I'm kinda tall so in the 16 inch models I like the dissipator which has the full size grips. It allows me to get my left hand further away. I like you're choice of options. I'd like to see some pics posted when you finally get it all assembled.

Mike
Old 03-01-2009, 08:11 PM   #38
AAlmeter
F.U.B.O.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357 View Post
That's a hell of a price. I have heard Model1Sales is back logged a little because of the election. I'm kinda tall so in the 16 inch models I like the dissipator which has the full size grips. It allows me to get my left hand further away. I like you're choice of options. I'd like to see some pics posted when you finally get it all assembled.

Mike
Hmmm....I will have to seek out some similar models to try them out. Unfortunately, there aren't any ARs available in any of the local shops and none of my shooting friends own one. I'm 6'4", but I tend to have a very tight shooting position while standing.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:48 PM   #39
Will herf for food

VR

Quote:
Hmmm....I will have to seek out some similar models to try them out. Unfortunately, there aren't any ARs available in any of the local shops and none of my shooting friends own one. I'm 6'4", but I tend to have a very tight shooting position while standing.
It's all preference. I'm 6'6". A friend I work with is 6'7" and he likes the CAR style. It's all relative. Check out both if you can. If not, you can just fondle a 20" model and pretend.

Sounds kinds gross now that I read that last sentence...