Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 02-16-2012, 11:58 AM   #1
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

First Name: Brian
Trading: (10)
ApexAZ will become famous soon enoughApexAZ will become famous soon enough
Default Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket or Galaxy Note

After using my iPhone 3GS for 2.5 years I'm looking to upgrade in the next month or two. One of the things I dislike most about the phone is it's size. I want a larger screen.

Because of this, the Galaxy note looks very interesting to me. I could care less about the stylus thingy, but the screen size is...enticing.

I use my phone to browse the internet more than anything, so I really think screen size and flash support will be great with the Android offerings.

I can't help but wonder if I'm not overcompensating for using the dinky 3.5" iPhone screen for so long though? While the photos appear as though the phone will (barely) fit in the palm, it really is pretty big.

The skyrocket HD seems to have pretty good stats too, with a smaller screen.

Which would you choose? I'm locked into ATT for another 2 years, or I'd be looking at Verizon instead.
ApexAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:03 PM   #2
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation
Default Re: Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket or Galaxy Note

For searching the internet I think you will be dissapointed when comparing an Android to the iphone. The iphone software is so much better, but I agree the iphone screen is way too small. I have a HTC Desire 4G and I hate it, would rather use the iphone even with a smaller screen. These are all my personal opinions, I have not tried the specific phones you are interested in. Many will dissagree with me, that's how this works.

Last edited by Blak Smyth; 02-16-2012 at 12:12 PM.
Blak Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:10 PM   #3
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

First Name: Stephen
Location: Where the Pony Express began and Jesse James ended.
Trading: (18)
Stephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura about

I purchased the Skyrocket back in November. I wish I had four hands, so I could give this phone four thumbs up.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:11 PM   #4
kickerb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth View Post
For searching the internet I think you will be dissapointed when comparing an Android to the iphone. The iphone software is so much better,...
Old 02-16-2012, 12:12 PM   #5
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

Stephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
For searching the internet I think you will be dissapointed when comparing an Android to the iphone. The iphone software is so much better, but I agree the iphone screen is way too small. I have a HTC Desire 4G and I hate it, would rather use the iphone even with a smaller screen. These are all my personal opinions, I have not tried the specific phones you are interested in.
What's better about surfing the internet on the iPhone? I've never heard this before, so you've got me curious...
Old 02-16-2012, 12:13 PM   #6
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

The iPhone has 75% of the domestic smartphone market. There is a reason for that... I also think that more of the smartphone experience is affected by the carrier than the actual phone. Performance, bandwidth, etc., are all carrier issues.

The iPhone 5 due out later this year is supposed to have a larger screen.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:14 PM   #7
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
What's better about surfing the internet on the iPhone? I've never heard this before, so you've got me curious...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickerb View Post
My opinions, like I said. I never use the internet on my HTC, the pinch feature doesn't work as well and the touch isn't as precise.
It is a pain to try to touch a specific line or highlight a sentence or object on the HTC.
The iphone just works better IMO. I do like the camera better on the HTC though.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:14 PM   #8
kickerb

ha, this is going to be an epic iPhone/Andrioid bash fest
Old 02-16-2012, 12:16 PM   #9
kickerb

I'm pro Android, I've used an iPhone since it's launch. A few months ago I made the switch and I've never been happier.

It is based on personal preference. So I would just gather as much information doing your own research to make the best decision that fits your need.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:17 PM   #10
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

RA

Quote:
ha, this is going to be an epic iPhone/Andrioid bash fest
I am not trying to say the iphone is better, you can never say that. All I am saying is in my experience I prefer the iphone and will wait for the 5. Oh also the iphone feels much more rigid and heavy in hand, which I like. The iphone has a much higher tendency to break the screen too.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:19 PM   #11
kickerb

Quote:
I am not trying to say the iphone is better, you can never say that. All I am saying is in my experience I prefer the iphone and will wait for the 5.
i aint mad at ya brother, thats just the normal direction this type of discussion takes
Old 02-16-2012, 12:20 PM   #12
oooo35980
Feeling at Home

First Name: Isaiah
Trading: (3)
Montecristo Navy (Disabled Vet)
oooo35980 will become famous soon enough

Android fan here, I refuse to buy apple products because they are vastly overpriced for what you get. Apple is the Gurkha of the electronics world.
oooo35980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:20 PM   #13
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
The iPhone has 75% of the domestic smartphone market. There is a reason for that...
Source? That doesn't pass the smell test, so I found this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
The iPhone 5 due out later this year is supposed to have a larger screen.
Larger screen and a rumored quad-core processor. Vroom!
Old 02-16-2012, 12:20 PM   #14
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by oooo35980 View Post
Android fan here, I refuse to buy apple products because they are vastly overpriced for what you get. Apple is the Gurkha of the electronics world.
Disagree because the iphone tastes good That is a bad comparison, Gurkha charges high prices and doesn't deliver a good product (IMHO), apple charges high prices as well but delivers a great product.
Both have Pros and Cons, it is about which Pros and Cons are more important to each user.

Quote:
i aint mad at ya brother, thats just the normal direction this type of discussion takes
I hear yah.

Last edited by Blak Smyth; 02-16-2012 at 12:31 PM.
Blak Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:22 PM   #15
Digs
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Dennis
Trading: (17)
Digs will become famous soon enough

I have the HTC thunderbolt 4GLTE & the I phone 4. After using both many hours a day I can tell you the Apple operating system is easier and much more intuitive, now as far as the hardware end my thunderbolt is better the screen is larger & brighter BUT it come at an expense the battery life is very poor, others that I know who also use the Androids also complain about battery life as well. The I phone is just simpler to operate when it comes to music, camera & photo apps and sending pics email etc. If I had to pick it would be my I phone Why don’t you just hold out for the I phone 5?? As someone who uses both Android & Apple I think you will regret it!!

A gun in your hand is better then a cop on the phone
Digs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:23 PM   #16
Digs
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Dennis
Trading: (17)
Digs will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by oooo35980 View Post
Not true my Thunderbolt was $99 more then my I phone 4

A gun in your hand is better then a cop on the phone
Digs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:28 PM   #17
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

Android user and wifey has the Iphone4, I am over my Droid X, but I am thinking about the Galaxy II or Nexus. I have no problem with the Iphone other than the fact that the screen is too small.

One feature that sold me on my wife's phone is the front camera, but now this is a standard feature on all phones.

My contract is up next month, so I still have time to decide, but I will probably NOT get the Iphone 5.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:31 PM   #18
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digs View Post
I have the HTC thunderbolt 4GLTE & the I phone 4. After using both many hours a day I can tell you the Apple operating system is easier and much more intuitive, now as far as the hardware end my thunderbolt is better the screen is larger & brighter BUT it come at an expense the battery life is very poor, others that I know who also use the Androids also complain about battery life as well. The I phone is just simpler to operate when it comes to music, camera & photo apps and sending pics email etc. If I had to pick it would be my I phone Why don’t you just hold out for the I phone 5?? As someone who uses both Android & Apple I think you will regret it!!
Agreed, the Droids batteries S U C K!!!!!!
Old 02-16-2012, 12:33 PM   #19
mase
Undead Recruiter

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (9)
Cohiba
mase will become famous soon enoughmase will become famous soon enough

I don't think I'll buy another Samsung Android (I have the Charge). The battery life is terrible to the point where I cannot have push email activated. The phone takes mediocre pictures. When you make a phone call, the voice on the other end is garbled.

Not much to recommend here.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:07 PM   #20
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Source? That doesn't pass the smell test, so I found this...
That is not the comparison I was talking about. I said iPhone versus all other smartphones. That chart shows iPhone against Android (which is many different smartphone vendors).

I cannot post the source (I work for an industry supplier) so maybe I should have just kept my mouth shut...

I am not an Apple "Fanboy" and the iPhone is far from perfect, but I have not found an alternative that is as solid for the things that I need from a smartphone.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote