Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 01-17-2011, 03:55 PM   #161
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of
Default Re: College Hoops Thread '10-'11

There were a lot of good close games this past weekend, as well as a fair number of blowouts, but there were only a handful of scores that really surprised me:

Indiana 80 - Michigan 61 = The Hoosiers are improving over past seasons, but they haven't improved this much. And the young Wolverines had shown some signs of late, particularly in their last few losses against Kansas and Ohio State. Scoring only 15 in the first half is one bad sign, and losing this one by a greater margin than those prior 2 combined is even worse.

Iowa State 72 - Baylor 57 = Though I though the Cyclones could beat the Bears, I would never have predicted such a spanking as this.

Kansas 63 - Nebraska 60 = OK, so maybe this wasn't such a shock. I told you I'd not been all that impressed by what I saw of the Jayhawks, and that the 'Huskers could keep it tight. But still . . . .

Michigan State 71 - Northwestern 67 (OT) = Here again, maybe I should not be surprised. Hey, I myself predicted it would be close enough to give Izzo more gray hair, and it was definitely that. But again, still . . . .

Ohio State 69 - Penn State 66 = And maybe the closeness of this one should not surprise me either, considering how PSU has suddenly seemed to find its game. Still, the Buckeyes tried their damnedest to blow their new # 1 ranking before they even got it.

Southern Mississippi 86 - UCF 69 = And even though I did say I would not be surprised if UCF got their second loss in as many games, yet a spanking such as this was not on my radar.

And speaking of spankings not on my radar, on Sunday:

Georgia Tech 78 - UNC 58 = Pitiful, just pitiful. The Heels were horrible on defense, and even worse on offense. It is one thing to allow an opposing player to score 30 points . . . hey, it happens . . ., but to couple that with a shooting percentage of 27.6? How bad is that? Well, it is Carolina's worst percentage from the field since they shot 25.7% against N.C. State . . . in 1955. As for the Jackets, it's a good win . . . or maybe not, come to think of it.

St. John's 72 - Notre Dame 54 = Although I gave the Red Storm a shot at taking this one in the Garden, I did not think they would. I most certainly did not think they would whup up on the Irish, and take their lunch to boot. This was a bad a beating as their previous loss to Marquette, and with Cincy, the Golden Eagles again, and Pitt coming up, this might be the beginning of the end for the leprechauns.

West Virgina 68 - Purdue 64 = Actually, I felt this one would be pretty close, so there's no big shock here. WVU gets a very good win, and the Boilermakers get a reality check.

In early action today, the "overrated" U. Conn Huskies have already edged the . . . even-more-so-overrated? . . . Villanova Wildcats 61-59 up in Storrs. Meanwhile, two more overrated teams, Missouri and Kansas State, just tipped off in what should be a pretty good one. Games to follow include:

Charleston vs. Chattanooga = Nobody much talks about teams like this, nor seem to much care, until they come up and bite some big boy in the butt. Don't kid yourself: These two are good, and should give us a very nice contest.

Fairfield vs. Rider = Like I just said. Weren't you listening?

Syracuse vs. Pittsburgh = The supposed # 3, and certainly undefeated, Orange visit the supposed # 5, and 17-1, Pitt Panthers. Now maybe you understand why I suggested above to wait until you PLAY the Huskies before you question their relative ability.

Kansas vs. Baylor = The Jayhawks have dodged a few bullets lately to remain amongst the undefeated themselves. The Bears have struggled, and are coming off a stomping, so need to try and turn things around. A win in Waco would go a long way towards doing that. I don't expect it, but as I have said, I don't have a ton of faith in KU either. So, pick your poison. If the line's over three possessions, take Baylor.

That's it for today. See you tomorrow. Until then . . . enjoy.
The Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 02:27 PM   #162
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
So far so good for the Orange. But were I you, brother, I'd worry less about how good or bad are the Huskies, and more about getting past Pitt tonight. Just , and worth every penny.

Did I warn you, or not?

Pitt 74 - Syracuse 66 = Though I feel certain the Orange faithful are disappointed, this should come as no big surprise. No only does Pitt have a good team, but Boeheim's zone has always, and will always, be vulnerable to the outside shot. Plus, when they push it out to pressure the shooters, it opens lanes for passing and penetration down low. Plus plus, as with all zones, it too often allows the opponent to outrebound you. Last night Pitt had 14 more than Syracuse, which more than made up for having 7 more turnovers also. So, one more undefeated team goes by the wayside.

In some other action:

Missouri 75 - Kansas State 59 = The outcome is no shock. The margin is a bit of one, but considering how the Wildcats have seemed to hit a wall, losing 3 of their last 4, maybe it should not be one. And when you look at their upcoming schedule (Texas A&M, Baylor, Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa State, Colorado, and Kansas again), one could see things going from bad to worse.

Chattanooga 91 - Charleston 88 = I told you this would be a good one, didn't I?

Fairfield 65 - Rider 57 = And this one could have been a little better, but was still a pretty decent contest.

Tonight has a somewhat limited slate of games, yet there are still a few worth noting:

Colorado vs. Nebraska = These two are not getting the attention that several other Big 12 schools have received, but they are both doing quite well, and should give us a very nice game.

Michigan State vs. Illinois = And these two are perhaps receiving a bit TOO much attention in the Big Ten, as both have had their struggles. Still, it ought to be some fun in Champaign tonight.

Georgetown vs. Seton Hall = And there should be some fun in Newark also, though I would expect the Hoyas to have most of it.

Tennessee vs. Georgia = These two have demonstrated they can play with the best, and fold up like cheap suits . . . more so the Vols than the 'Dawgs, as Georgia's three losses (Notre Dame, Temple, and Vandy) are all "better" ones than UT's 6 Ls. So, as it is in Athens, give the Bulldogs the edge.

Maine vs. Vermont = I realize not many of you care all that much, but these are two pretty good teams (in their weight-class, anyway) fighting for the lead in the American East. If nothing else, it should be competitive.

Kentucky vs. Alabama = After Cal reamed out his players last week, the played at least one game with the focus and intensity he wants. I don't think they'll need to be Canute to hold back the Tide.

North Carolina vs. Clemson = But if anybody need to turn the tide, it is the Tar Heels. They got crushed by Georgia Tech on Sunday, and had their worst shooting night since 1955. On the other side, the Clemson Tigers visit the Smith Center in the hopes of ending an 0-54 streak on Carolina's court. Figure something's gotta give.

Michigan vs. Northwestern = Although neither of these two figure to do a whole lot in the Big Ten, both have played a few good games. So once again, something will give, one way or the other.

BYU vs. TCU = And although I do not believe for one second that the Cougars are a Top Ten team nationally, I really can't see the Horned Frogs being much more than road kill in Provo this evening. TCU's lost 5 of their last 6, and they will almost certainly fall to 10-10 tonight.

That's about all I see, though as always one of the "other" games (Texas Tech/Oklahoma? Evansville/Southern Ill.?) could turn into a barn-burner. So make your own choice, and enjoy.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:04 PM   #163
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

There were a few surprises for me last night, and the biggest one was:

Alabama 68 - Kentucky 66 = There is no way in hell the Tide should have beaten the Wildcats. I guess Calipari thinks so too, as he was caught on camera cussing out one of his freshman players on the sidelines. He apologized today, saying he got caught up in the moment, but that this is no excuse. Damn right it ain't, Cal . . . you &^@$!%' @$$&#!* you! Oh, and a great win for 'Bama, by the way.

Tennessee 59 - Georgia 57 = And this is a mild surprise, if only because it was in Athens, and the Vols have been losing more than winning lately. But as I did imply, it was a close call, and so it proved.

Illinois 71 - Michigan State 62 = And this one does not shock me with its outcome, although the margin was a tad higher than just the home court edge. But what does shock me is that the Spartans, now 12-6, are STILL being ranked nationally. Hey, I like MSU, and respect Izzo too, but fair is fair. Vote them out of the Top 25, and keep them out until they clearly demonstrate otherwise.

Georgetown 80 - Seton Hall 75 = And this is a minor shock in that the Hoyas should never have allowed the Pirates to stay this close. I don't give a crap if the game was in the Rock, or out on Broad Street in Newark, there's no good reason for this.

UNC 75 - Clemson 65 = And this one is no surprise at all, unless you consider it one that the victory keeps the Tar Heels in a 4-way tie for the lead in the ACC. And though there were a few other good signs for the Heels, there's no way it can be considered a turnaround win. But it does keep their 55-0 home streak against the Clemson Tigers intact. Just think about that a second. These two played their first basketball game in Chapel Hill over 80 years ago, and Clemson has yet to win one single game there. A run like that is hard to believe, much less to beat.

There are a lot more games tonight of import, so let's get to them:

Ohio State vs. Iowa = The Buckeyes almost blew their brand-new # 1 ranking before they even got it, but managed to squeak by a "surging" Penn State to remain undefeated. They should retain that against the Hawkeyes. However, do NOT think they are unbeatable. In their last four games, they won by a combined 15 points total . . . not a dominant performance, by any reckoning.

Memphis vs. Southern Mississippi = One team has not played as well as some expected, and the other has been better. This one could be real close.

James Madison vs. ODU = And this one's just a nice even matchup between two decent teams, and should be close also.

Virginia vs. Boston College = The Eagles are one of those 4 teams atop the ACC (so far, that is), while the Cavs are one of those striving to leave Wake Forest alone in the basement. If the guards for UVA can hit from outside, they can keep this one close up in Chestnut Hill, but I'd expect BC to pull it out.

Louisville vs. St. John's = The Cardinals needed a furious comeback against Marquette to edge them by one Saturday, and the Johnnies got a great win against Notre Dame Sunday. This game is in the new KFC Crumbucket, so give L'ville an edge. But I am very interested to see if the Red Storm can continue to improve.

Cincinnati vs. Notre Dame = Both of these are coming off of tough losses, and both need a win. I predict one of them will get it tonight.

George Washington vs. Richmond = And these are two who need all the wins they can garner before the Selection Committee meets, so plan on a war here.

Wake Forest vs. Georgia Tech = And these two are already planning to sit out the Big Dance, barring some miracle. Yet neither wants to be embarrassed, so they should show up and play.

Duke vs. N. C. State = The last time the Blue Devils left the friendly confines of Cameron Indoor Stydium, they lost. I would not bet on that being the case in Raleigh tonight, yet stranger things have happened. In conference play, against in-state rivals, all things are possible.

Missouri State vs. Indiana State = Here are two more of those teams nobody talks about, but both are not only capable of making the NCAAs, they could actually win a game or two there. Should be fun.

U. Mass vs. Charlotte = And both of these have had their ups-and-downs, which means they really need to make a move soon, or resign themselves to wait 'til next year. For that alone, it is worth keeping half an eye on.

Arkansas vs. South Carolina = Believe it or not, these two are presently challenging for the lead in their respective SEC divisions. If that does not focus them, nothing would.

SMU vs. UAB = The Blazers are not accustomed to being in a hole, and are trying to climb out. The Mustangs have been in that same hole for a while, yet are trying to keep from sinking deeper. This might actually be a pretty good game.

West Virginia vs. Marshall = So should this one. The Mountaineers are on a bit of a roll, and the Thundering Herd is hoping to start a new one. I'd give WVA the edge, but it may be fairly close even late in the contest.

Northern Iowa vs. Wichita State = Here are two more of those squads which are under most people's radar, but who can play a bit of ball. They are teams you don't want to meet in the second game of the NCAAs, as they can sneak up and bite you. Flip a coin here.

Purdue vs. Penn State = The Boilermakers did not lose a game in December, and have already lost two this month. So despite their nickname, it's Penn State who's gotten hot. Yet I don't expect them to stay hot, so put your penny on PU, not PSU.

Mississippi vs. Vanderbilt = Vandy has stumbled a bit from time to time, yet always against quality opponents. The Rebels started out better than their fans expected, yet have now dropped 3 in a row. I figure that will reach 4 down in Nashville this evening.

Texas vs. Texas A&M = And if there is a "pick 'em" amongst the top tier teams tonight, this is the one. It is in Austin, so the 'Horns have that. It is also the time of year when the 'Horns start their traditional collapse, so they also have that. As for the Aggies, they have only lost once so far, and that was to Boston College by two points 'way back at Thanksgiving. They'd best make both teams check their Colts at the door for this one.

Florida State vs. Miami = It may be news to you, but these two teams don't much like each other. Plus, they are close enough in talent to be equals. This one just might end in bloodshed also.

Iowa State vs. Oklahoma State = Both of these squads have notched some quality wins, and both are headed towards the cellar of the Big 12. Neither wants to be there, and to be honest, I don't think neither belongs their either. So here's another war for you to watch.

San Diego State vs. Air Force = And if this one WAS a war, and not a basketball game, the Air Force would just bomb the Aztecs back to the Stone Age, where they belong. However, it is not. Figure the Falcons may stay close for a while, but SDSU builds a decent lead in the 2nd half.

Colorado State vs. UNLV = And while those Aztecs and BYU are fighting for the lead in the Mountain West (not tonight, but soon), these two are fighting to stay in contention there. The Rams are visiting the Rebels, so give the house the odds . . . but don't bet your shirt.

St. Mary's vs. San Diego = And why this one? Well, it may have escaped your attention, but the Gaels are once again having a tremendous season. So far, they even lead the fabled Gonzaga for the WCC title. Tonight they pit their 4-0 conference record against the Toreros 0-4 one. Which one do you THINK I'm gonna pick, hunh?

That should be enough for you on a Wednesday, don't you think? So, enjoy.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:23 PM   #164
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

I'm feeling pretty crappy today, so don't expect my typical long (and hopefully lively) posts. There were, as noted above, many games last night, but only a few were truly much fun:

Boston College 70 - Virginia 67 = The Cavs hung tough, but dropped another close one to a better team.

Indiana State 70 - Missouri State 69 = I thought this could be a good one, and it was.

Oklahoma State 96 - Iowa State 87 (OT) = It proved to be the war I predicted.

Florida State 55 - Miami 53 = And this was another tight conference battle, though the score seems more typical of a football game between the 'Canes and 'Holes.

Purdue 63 - Penn State 62 = I guess the time is passed to be shocked at the Nittany Lions. Yes they lost again on the road, after dropping one by only 3 at Ohio State, but be honest . . . could YOUR team lose two better games? I said you should put a penny on the Boilermakers, and a penny was what it was.

South Carolina 81 - Arkansas 74 (OT) = And I told you these two would be focused on the victory. Seems the 'Cocks kept it up just a bit longer.

Memphis 76 - Southern Mississippi 75 = I thought it might be close. It couldn't have been much closer.

Marshall 75 - West Virginia 71 = And if there was an upset, this one is it. It's a mild one at best, but still a good win for the Herd.

Northern Iowa 77 - Wichita State 74 = It's sometimes hard to get a good read on how good some mid-majors are, but you're pretty safe with these two. The Panthers made a lot of noise last year, and the Shockers have been around the block a time or three themselves.

And speaking of such games, there may be quite a few tonight. However, most seem to be of the type that, entertaining as they may be, there's little national import and few people really care all that much. Detroit/Cleveland State? Oakland/South Dakota State? Gonzaga/Santa Clara? Even some of the "big boys" fall into this gap, like Cal/UCLA, USC/Stanford/ Rutgers/South Florida . . . hell, even Florida/Auburn, as you'd expect this to be over by the half. But I did spot 3 that piqued my interest a bit:

Wisconsin vs. Indiana = There is no doubt the Badgers are a better team than the Hoosiers, who just won their first following a 6-game losing streak. But four of those six were under 10 points at the end, so it is possible IU can stay close to a team as . . . uh, shall we be kind and say "deliberate"? . . . as is Wisconsin.

Virginia Tech vs. Maryland = The Hokies want to stay at least mid-pack in the ACC for now, in the hope they can take advantage if somebody stumbles. The Terps want to get there, for the same reason. Both need every game like this.

Arizona vs. Washington = And as it is for those "competing" on the Right Coast, so it is for these two trying to stay on top of the Left one. Only the winner of this will stay so.

That's all I feel like doing today. I hope you shall enjoy, as I don't think I will much.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:33 PM   #165
SD Beerman
Have My Own Room

Trading: (3)
Cohiba
SD Beerman will become famous soon enough

Hope you feel better soon....
SD Beerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 12:48 PM   #166
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Beerman View Post
Hope you feel better soon....

Why, thank you Larry. I'm about twice as good as yesterday, but still not up to par.

A handful of the games last night were pretty decent:

Florida 45 - Auburn 40 = But I'm not sure this was one of them. The Gators are supposed to be fairly good, while the Tigers purely stink. This is better than a loss, but not by much.

Virginia Tech 74 - Maryland 57 = Nor was this one all that hot. The Terps have lost 3 of their last 4, and to get spanked by the Hokies like this, in College Park no less, does not bode well. But it's a good road win for VT, and puts them above .500 in the ACC.

Wisconsin 69 - Indiana 60 = And though I'm sure the Hoosiers would prefer a victory, there's no shame in keeping it this close against the Badgers, in Madison.

UCLA 86 - California 84 = The Bruins tried to p!$$ this one away, dropping most of a 14-point lead in the last 4 minutes, but managed to hang on by the tips of their claws to remain relevant in the Pac-10 . . . for what that's worth.

Eastern Illinois 61 - Murray State 60 = But the Racers dropped a squeaker on their home court to slip a full game out of the OVC race. It's still early, yet they need to find some consistency in their play before it's not still early, and rather too late.

UMBC 74 - Hartford 70 (2OT) = Though nobody much cares, any game as hard fought as this one deserved a bit of attention.

Mo. Kansas City 85 - IUPUI 77 (2OT) = Here too.

Utah Valley 107 - North Dakota 96 (4OT) = Here, X 2.

There are slim pickin's tonight. The Lipscomb/East Tenn. State, the Valpo/Wisc. Milwaukee, and Butler/Wisc. Green Bay games might be pretty good, while Fairfield/Canisius and Siena/St. Peter's should be competitive, but none of those teams seem likely to make much noise this season. However, on Saturday there's once again altogether too many games to do proper justice to. I'll be back a bit later to preview at least the ones which tip off early. Until later then.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:36 PM   #167
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Some years back, a buddy of mine and I figured out we'd watched over 200 college basketball games between Thanksgiving and Easter. Were you to watch those tomorrow which have a chance to be good ones, you yourself could get a big jump on that total. Even before your brunch settles properly, we'll have:

George Mason vs. James Madison = These two are a game out of the Colonial lead, and tied with ODU at 5-2 in league play. Both are good teams, and both want the win to stay within reach, since even with a expanded field of 68 the Committee may not go 5-deep in the CAC.

Richmond vs. U. Mass = And it's pretty much the same story here, except that it's a five-way tie at second in the A-10. As there's no damn way they'll go 7-deep in ANY mid-major conference, all these games are vital.

Ohio State vs. Illinois = OK, so neither of these need worry much about dancing come March. However, the Buckeyes would like to keep their # 1 ranking, and their undefeated record, intact a while longer if at all possible. It is certainly possible, but a visit to Champaign may burst their bubble.

Syracuse vs. Villanova = Here again, a potential NCAA bid is probably not on the line. But both teams are coming off of conference losses (to Pitt and U. Conn. resp't), and both would like to turn that around as quickly as possible. The Orange have the home advantage, but 'Nova has four or five players who can hit shots over Boeheim's zone. If they do, this one could be very tight.

Georgia Tech vs. Virginia = Neither of these squads are conference contenders, much less national one, but neither one is the total garbage some would want you to believe, since both are capable of winning games. This could be more fun than you might expect.

Rutgers vs. Seton Hall = And that holds true for this Battle of New Jersey also. One thing you can count on happening in Newark tomorrow . . . The Rock will be rockin'.

Eastern Kentucky vs. Morehead State = Remember what I said about the Colonial and A-10 games above? Well, just substitute Ohio Valley Conference, and you'll know what this one means.

Colorado vs. Oklahoma = The Buffaloes have been the surprise of the Big 12 so far, despite their stumble to the Cornhuskers on Tuesday. The Sooners have been . . . well, not a whole hell of a lot, to be honest. But this one's in Norman, so figure they will at least make it to the game, whether or not they actually show up. And who knows? We might luck up and have a decent contest.

Mississippi vs. LSU = The Rebels came into conference play with only 3 losses, then dropped their last 4 in league play to remain winless in the SEC West. Meanwhile, the Tigers played like total crap throughout their "preseason", yet have managed to win 2 of 3 so far in the conference, including a nice one over Arkansas (and yes, an embarrassing spanking by Kentucky). Truth be told, I have no idea what to predict here, and even though the game's in Baton Rouge I can't pick a favorite. Hey, the stadium may be named after Pistol Pete, but I don't think he's gonna suit up!

I'll be back tomorrow afternoon with more weekend action, and some early scores. Until then . . . enjoy.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:54 AM   #168
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

As I figured, most of that handful of games last night were fairly close, but the only real effect they had was that Fairfield and Iona remained atop the MAAC with their wins, while the wins by Valpo and Butler kept them both in contention in the Horizon. Today's action has begun, but everything's too early and too close to call, though 'Nova did have a double-digit lead over Syracuse when I started typing this. I say that because this may take a while, for even with throwing out a bunch of games that should be noted, I'm left with pages to cover. Such as:

Wright State vs. Cleveland State = As with that Valpo/Butler reference above, this one is a big one on the Horizon.

St. Mary's vs. Vanderbilt = And here's a big non-conference game, since Vandy will be the best opponent the newly-ranked Gaels have faced in nearly two months, and so might give us some indication how real Gael be.

Texas A&M vs. Kansas State = The Aggies continue to play better than was expected, and the Wildcats continue to sink towards the Big 12 basement. I think that should still apply in College Station this afternoon.

Stanford vs. UCLA = The Pac-10 is not getting much respect, just like last season. And if you remember how they did in the NCAA Tourney, they deserved a good deal more last year, and just might this one too. These mid-pack contests are vital, as the Selection Committee is notoriously stupid, and may not go very deep in the Pac-10, because they believe the experts more than they believe the actual action.

U. Conn vs. Tennessee = As the Huskies have been more consistent than have the Vols, I would give them the edge here even if they were not playing the game at home . . . of course. Of UC's 15 wins, ten have been on friendly hardwood. Calhoun should change their mascot name to the Chicken$#!+s.

Clemson vs. Maryland = As with the Pac-10 comment above, the experts think the ACC is pretty crummy (and nevermind that the last 2 champs have come from there). They might not go as deep into them as normally come March, which makes games such as this one huge for both teams.

Temple vs. Xavier = Different conference, same story.

VCU vs. ODU = Yes, again.

New Mexico vs. UNLV = And once more.

Oklahoma State vs. Baylor = Make that twice more, as both of these two have struggled a bit lately, and lost some luster.

Pitt vs. DePaul = But not the Panthers, who gave the Orange their first loss. They will give the Blue Demons their umpteenth today.

Chattanooga vs. Furman = The Southern Conference will be lucky to get two bids in March. Both these teams want one, and when you throw Charleston into the mix that leaves one hangin'. These guys know all that, so expect a fight.

Texas vs. Kansas = And both these teams have already made their March travel plans. But the 'Horns are tired of losing to the Jayhawks, so don't expect them to mail one in. This could be fun.

Washington vs. Arizona State = These Huskies figure they are safe. The Sun Devils know they are anything but. They may not win, but they will come to play.

Duke vs. Wake Forest = And if things stay true to form, the Deacs ain't got a prayer against the Dooks.

Cincinnati vs. St. John's = But the Red Storm do have a shot against the Bearcats. That would be true even if the game wasn't in Carnesecca Arena. Don't bet on it, but don't be shocked by it either.

Mississippi State vs. Georgia = And this one should be fun too, since the SEC seems to be a lot less "top heavy" than . . . uh, say maybe, Ashley Judd?

Louisville vs. Providence = This one could get ugly, fast. The Friars played some decent ball early, but lately they have crumbled.

Creighton vs. Missouri State = But this one could stay close until the buzzer.

Kentucky vs. South Carolina = And this one too. Don't think the 'Cats are gonna easily beat the 'Cocks. Remember, last year they suffered their first loss against USC, when they had a better team than this one.

Portland vs. Santa Clara = Just another of those important conference games, which can make or break both teams' seasons. No biggie.

Memphis vs. UAB = And though these two are more likely to be awarded an at-large than some others mentioned above, they are still in a tie with two others for the CUSA lead. Expect them to be focused.

UTEP vs. Houston = And here's that other two tied atop the CUSA. Same deal, same intensity.

Boston College vs. Florida State = Different conference, same deal. Along with Dook, there's a three-way at 4-1 in the ACC, with the Heels a half back at 3-1. Yeah, it's early, but as in baseball, you can't make up losses.

Minnesota vs. Michigan = The Gophers are ranked # 15 in the nation, and are presently 6th in the Big Ten with their .500 conference record. One or the other is totally bogus. speaking of bogus, the Wolverines have made a step back for every one they've made forward. Put those two things together, and I'm hoping they BOTH lose today.

Notre Dame vs. Marquette = And I think either of these two could lose today also. It's a toss-up, no doubt.

Arkansas vs. Florida = I see this one as that too.

Indiana State vs. Wichita State = Again.

Michigan State vs. Purdue = Pretty much here too, though the inconsistent Boilermakers have STILL been more consistent than the psychotic Spartans.

Missouri vs. Iowa State = The Tigers have gotten all the press, but the Cyclones have played some good ball too. This is likely to be closer than you'd expect.

BYU vs. Colorado State = And here again, we've got that same story. Figure the Rams to hang tough, especially in Fort Collins.

Arizona vs. Washington State = Neither team wants to slip further down into the Pac pack, so you can expect them both to show up. I think the desert 'Cats are a tiny bit better, but they are on the road, so flip a coin.

I'm going to check on some early finals now, and look at Sunday games. Back shortly.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:31 PM   #169
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

So here's some early finals for you:

Ohio State 73 - Illinois 68 = And it was actually closer than that. The Illini had a little dry spell in the 2nd half, yet got within a point inside the last minute.

Villanova 83 - Syracuse 72 = Hey, I told you that 'Nova could keep it tight by hitting some outside shots. Their 11 treys helped them. Their 22 FTs helped them even more.

George Mason 75 - James Madison 73 = As a figured it would be, a tight contest.

Richmond 84 - U. Mass. 68 = But I figured this would be tighter than this. Hey, I'm happy for the Spiders, but I'd prefer a closer game, if only for the entertainment.

Rutgers 66 - Seton Hall 60 = Now that's more like it. Though nobody outside the state of New Jersey really gives a damn (and there's many in-state that don't either, such as myself), this is the kind of action you want on a Saturday afternoon.

Virginia 72 - Georgia Tech 64 = And you might think this was too, but you'd be wrong. The Jackets had to make a furious comeback to get the margin down to respectable from laughable, and UVA had it from midway through the 1st. A good win for them, and a ding for the Wreck.

Lunchtime. Back with more a bit later.
Old 01-22-2011, 01:58 PM   #170
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

I haven't noticed any other meaningful finals so far, so lemme just give you a few Sunday games of note:

Wisconsin vs. Northwestern = An important Big 10 game for both, though the Wildcats need a quality win more than do the Badgers.

Miami vs. N.C. State = And a not-so-vital ACC contest, as it mainly concerns these two trying to stay out of Wake's basement.

Indiana vs. Iowa = Pretty much the same cellar-stopper as that one above, but back in the Big 10.

West Virginia vs. South Florida = But the Bulls seem happy enough down there with the DePauls and the Providences of the Big East, so let them stay there.

Belmont vs. East Tennessee State = And this just might turn out to be the most competitive, and best-played, game of the day.

Maybe I have a few more finals now. If so, I'll be back. If not . . . well, enjoy.
Old 01-22-2011, 02:28 PM   #171
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Aside from numerous others, there's three more meaningful finals:

Texas A&M 64 - Kansas State 56 = This is no surprise, as these two have been heading in opposite directions for some time now.

Vanderbilt 89 - St. Mary's 70 = And neither is this one. The Gaels are a good team, but not at Vandy's level. Besides, it is awfully disconcerting, playing on that court suspended in mid-air down in Nashville.

U. Conn 72 - Tennessee 61 = And this too should have been expected. The Huskies are tough on their court, and the Vols can't seem to get out of their own way at times.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:13 PM   #172
jcruse64
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Joe
Trading: (1)
jcruse64 is on a distinguished road

Wow! KU's home win streak is busted, and by Texas?!?!?!?

Louisville Cards lose; they really could have used this win.

Pitt wins again-#2 spot????

'Cuse loses again???????

Vandy beats St. Mary's; nice win for this SEC team.

UK handles South Carolina handily.

UT doesn't fare well against UCONN.

Murray State beats an emasculated SEMO tonight (only 2 scholarship players this season, I think) by 38. Hey, we needed a win like this. Morehead lost, but Austin Peay won today, so we didn't gain much ground.

Lot's of good B'Ball on today. We got to go to the MSU game tonight.
jcruse64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 03:03 PM   #173
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcruse64 View Post
Wow! KU's home win streak is busted, and by Texas?!?!?!?

Louisville Cards lose; they really could have used this win.

Pitt wins again-#2 spot????

'Cuse loses again???????

Vandy beats St. Mary's; nice win for this SEC team.

UK handles South Carolina handily.

UT doesn't fare well against UCONN.

Murray State beats an emasculated SEMO tonight (only 2 scholarship players this season, I think) by 38. Hey, we needed a win like this. Morehead lost, but Austin Peay won today, so we didn't gain much ground.

Lot's of good B'Ball on today. We got to go to the MSU game tonight.

Good and valid points all, Joe, but none of them shocked me much . . . except that is for the Louisville loss. I said two weeks ago, after watching Kansas against Michigan, that I was not impressed by the Jayhawks all that much. As for the Longhorns beating them, even in Lawrence, keep in mind that Rick Barnes always seems to recruit a lot of talent . . . his problem has been teaching them how to play as a team.

However, I never thought there was any way in hell the Friars could beat Louisville. Yeah, I know Providence has played OK at times, but for them to break their 6-game losing streak, and get their 1st Big East win, against the Cardinals instead of, say, St. John's, Rutgers, or South Florida? You can't make some of this $#!+ up, that's for sure.

Pitt beating DePaul is as huge an upset as Duke beating Wake. Either one of them might deserve the # 2 ranking (for what that's worth in January), partly due to their own play, and partly due to the losses suffered by others.

As for the Orange, I am never surprised when they lose to a conference team, or to a good team with an experienced coach. Syracuse's biggest strength is also its greatest weakness, and that is Boeheim's zone. If their opponent has the talent and the knowhow to properly attack it, the 'Cuse can find themselves in trouble. And when they do, a zone is not conducive to forcing the action and recovering from a sizable deficit.

I figured Vandy would beat St. Mary's. The Gaels are a good team, but Vandy is a better one . . . when they actually show up to play. And as I noted, that court in Nashville can throw off an opponent's game, if they are not used to looking down at their coach and the bench. Come to think of it, who besides the Comms are used to that?

It's no surprise that Kentucky beat the 'Cocks. I had hoped for a closer game, but a victory against the Wildcats would have been nearly as big an upset as was the one last year.

As for Tennessee, I have almost come to expect them to lose. Shoot, had they scored 15 or 20 fewer total points this season in a select number of their games, they'd have as many losses as wins.

And as for your Racers, they had better try to build on this win and stay no worse than they are in the OVC if they want to have a hope for a bid in March. The Committee may or may not consider more than 2 teams from the conference, and Murray State does not have a "quality" win against a big-name school . . . and as there are none left on their schedule, they won't get one either.

I'm gonna look see what other scores strike me as important, or interesting, and will be back soon.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:19 PM   #174
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

As Joe noted, there were a lot of good games over the weekend. But since I don't have all day to jot them all down, and you don't have all day to read about them all, I'll just note a few more that, for one reason or another, surprised me. Besides, what real meaning did the Oklahoma/Colorado or Oregon/Oregon State games truly have, in the long haul?

In the balance of Saturday's action:

Florida 75 - Arkansas 43 = I'm not surprised the Gators won, but for the Razorbacks to basically not even show up like this . . . well, that was not expected.

Florida State 67 - Boston College 51 = And this is nearly as drastic a failing by the Eagles . . . especially with the ACC lead on the line.

Maryland 79 - Clemson 77 = Now this is more like it . . . though I'd have thought the Terps could protect their home court a little better.

Minnesota 69 - Michigan 64 = And though I realize the young Wolverines have been playing a little better, there's not much excuse here for the Gophers.

San Francisco 96 - Gonzaga 91 (OT) = Now be honest with me: Did you ever think you'd see the Dons beat Gonzaga? OK, so maybe if you're old enough to remember Bill Russell on their team.

Texas Tech 72 - Nebraska 71 = And how did the Red Raiders steal one from the 'Huskers, who have been playing pretty good ball of late? Well, late is right now.

Rice 57 - UCF 50 = Here's another, though I'm not as shocked as some may be. The UCF Knights won 14 in a row, and made it into the Top 20. Now they have dropped their last four games, and have disappeared back to where they probably belonged all along. OK, so they were overrated . . . but to let the Owls "improve" to 9-10 by dropping you? Sheesh.

Wichita State 93 - Indiana State 83 (3OT) = Although I felt this was a toss-up from the get-go, I never thought it would be this great a game. Give them both some props.

On Sunday I only noticed two scores which puzzled me:

West Virginia 56 - South Florida 46 = Alright, so it's a win for the Mountaineers. And maybe they have been playing better than was expected coming into the season. But the Bulls have been purely awful, winning only 2 of their last 13 contests. OK, so they didn't win this one either, but they did keep it within striking distance. So don't tell ME that WVA's all that good.

Wisc. Milwaukee 86 - Butler 80 (OT) = And we all knew that Butler would not be nearly as good this year as they were in 2010. But there's no damn excuse for this one, which is just as bad as that SF/'Zags game above.

Tonight's action is fairly limited, but there are a handful of important games, mainly as they relate to standings at or near the top in conference play:

Furman vs. Wofford = Such as the Southern Conference. This one should be tight.

James Madison vs. Hofstra = Or in the CAC. Here's another tight one.

ODU vs. N.C. Wilmington = Again, Colonial Athletic action, and another decent matchup.

Notre Dame vs. Pittsburgh = And here's one from one of those smaller, less important, conferences. It is in the Steel City, but the Irish have at least a shot at stealing one.

Baylor vs. Kansas State = The Bears have been up and down since Christmas. Still, that's better than the Manhattan Wildcats, who have been down and downer since before Christmas. This one is vital to both teams, if only for their confidence.

George Mason vs. Delaware = And we're back in the CAC again, with another game important to both. Furthermore, when you realize that the other 2 CAC teams still at .500 or better (VCU & Drexel) are also playing this evening, you may understand just what one day may mean to the NCAA hopes of all involved.

Back tomorrow with more. Enjoy.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:16 PM   #175
jcruse64
Adjusting to the Life

Pitt vs ND just starting.

No, MSU wont have a prayer for a bid if we don't win our tourney, and we really need to get a home opener for it, too. The committee will never pick 2 from the OVC, if it didn't back in the late 80's/early 90's. And they shouldn't; it's not that good a mid-major conference.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:27 PM   #176
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcruse64 View Post
Pitt vs ND just starting.

No, MSU wont have a prayer for a bid if we don't win our tourney, and we really need to get a home opener for it, too. The committee will never pick 2 from the OVC, if it didn't back in the late 80's/early 90's. And they shouldn't; it's not that good a mid-major conference.

Always an honest post from you, Joe, and I appreciate it. It's great you can be a fan without being a homer. Oh, and that Pitt/ND game's now over:

Notre Dame 56 - Pitt 51 = Well, I said the Irish had a shot at stealing one, and it didn't hurt with the Panthers playing like the Pitts. But looking at the stats, the loss is hard to understand. Pitt didn't shoot great, but neither did ND. The fouls, the rebounds, and the turnovers were pretty equal too. But hey, everybody has nights like that, and if you don't show up you don't deserve to win.

Kansas State 69 - Baylor 61 = I can't say I would have been surprised regardless of which way this one went. Both teams have had their good and bad moments, and last night belonged to the 'Cats.

Morehead State 50 - Ball State 48 = I debated yesterday mentioning this one, as I thought it might be close, but then gave it a pass. Shows how dumb I am.

Hofstra 92 - James Madison 90 (OT) = But I didn't skip this one, since I saw last night as an important one midway through the CAC schedule. The Pride just had a little more of that than did the Dukes.

VCU 80 - Towson 76 = And though I mentioned this in passing, I did not post it separately, as I did not think the Tigers had a snowball's chance against the Rams. Again, how dumb am I? Though I won't call ANY conference win a "bad" one, I might just consider this a "good" loss for Towson.

Furman 73 - Wofford 68 (OT) = Yet, dumb as I am, I did call this as being tight for a key Southern Conference game. It's a great win for the Paladins . . . but much like Joe's Murray State, it won't earn them a bid.

AR Pine Bluff 90 - Prairie View A&M 85 (2OT) = And though this SWAC game will prove to be totally meaningless over the long haul (these 2 teams have a collective 8-31 record), it behooves us to give some attention to anybody who puts on such a show.

Tonight has a decent selection of good games, or at least important games with the potential to be good:

Richmond vs. Dayton = Unlike some of the smaller mid-majors listed above, the A-10 will receive multiple bids. However, they won't go 6 deep in it, so this one's big for both teams if they want to stay near the top.

N.C. State vs. Clemson = And unlike some of the big conferences, they may not go 6 deep in the ACC. It likely won't matter one way or the other to these two, but neither wants to end up down in the Demon Deacons' personal hell. As this one's down in Littlejohn, give the Tigers an edge over the Wolfpack.

Florida vs. Georgia = And this one is in Athens, so I'm tempted to give the 'Dawgs a tiny edge too, despite the fact that I think the Gators have a better team. Yet Florida has been as changeable as their weather, so who know which Gator team will make it up the highway?

Syracuse vs. Seton Hall = It's been a bad week for the Orange, losing their first AND their second game all year, back-to-back. I suspect that trend will turn around against the Pirates in the Dome tonight.

Kansas vs. Colorado = And it's not been a great week for the Jayhawks either, losing both their first game of the season AND their home winning streak. They are on the road in Boulder tonight, so cannot restart both streaks . . . and might not even begin one. They are better than the Buffaloes, but despite their 2 losses in a row coming into this Colorado has posted wins against Missouri and K-State. Plus, they are used to playing at altitude, so they do have a chance here.

Belmont vs. Lipscomb = The Bruins have taken control of the Atlantic Sun, and I would not expect that to change tonight. OK, the Bisons are fairly decent, and can win, but the last time these 2 faced off, Belmont spanked them 88-52. You can't plan on such a margin every night, yet Lipscomb's home court can't be worth 30+ points!

U. Conn vs. Marquette = But this one should be a lot closer. I won't say the Golder Eagles will beat the Huskies in Milwaukee, but they have played well enough at times to beat anybody. Regardless of the final, this one should be fun.

Ohio State vs. Purdue = And if the Boilermakers can hit a few shots, this one could be too. You have to give the Buckeyes the advantage, up to the point when somebody actually proves otherwise, but despite their 20-0 record they have NOT played dominant ball. So far they have dodged bullets fired by Iowa, Minnesota, Michigan, Penn State, and Illinois. Someday, somebody's bound to hit something.

Virginia Tech vs. Georgia Tech = The Hokies have thumped Wake and Maryland (and Longwood, for what that mean) of late, and have hopes of hanging around for an at-large bid. The Wreck is not yet dead either, but they need this one just as badly to stay on life support. If nothing else, both should be focused.

That's what I see up this evening. Take your pick, and enjoy.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:04 PM   #177
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

There were a few surprises last night, and even one huge upset:

Seton Hall 90 - Syracuse 68 = And in the Carrier Dome, no less! I did not think there was a chance in hell the Pirates could beat the Orange, no matter where they played the game. Yet for them to whip up on them like this, it's totally unbelievable. But the Hall hit 10 threes, and even outrebounded the 'Cuse . . . for which there's only one excuse. Need I say it again? Boeheim's zone will win him many games, but will turn and bite him in the @$$ from time to time. This makes the third time in a row, and as they travel to Marquette and U. Conn next, it still may not be over.

Georgia Tech 72 - Virginia Tech 57 = This one is nearly as big a surprise. I know the Wreck has played a few good games . . . hey, they wrecked my Heels not long ago . . . but the Hokies have been playing consistently better. And I could more easily accept a close victory down in Hot 'Lanta, but a 15-point one? You can't make this $#!+ up.

Lipscomb 73 - Belmont 64 = Here again, I'm surprised that the Bisons gored the Bruins. Belmont is a better team, so for them to lose by 3 full possessions shocks me.

Ohio State 87 - Purdue 64 = OK, so maybe this isn't as big a shock as the others. One might have expected the Buckeyes to win, even if not by such a margin. However, the Boilermakers have had the tendency to struggle from the field. Last night they shot under 40%, and OSU grabbed more defensive rebounds than Purdue had in total.

Kansas 82 - Colorado 78 = But this one's no surprise at all. The Jayhawks bounce back from their loss to Texas, and yet the Buffaloes hung tough too. All in all, as good a game as you could reasonably expect.

Florida 104 - Georgia 91 (2OT) = Pretty much the same story here, and an even tighter contest. The Gators needed a good win, and the Bulldogs wanted one too.

U. Conn 76 - Marquette 68 = Another pretty decent conference game, and a nice road victory for the Huskies.

Clemson 60 - N.C. State 50 = But this one, not so much. The margin is close enough, I suppose, but for these guys to score so poorly does not speak well of their offensive capabilities. And no, although I did not see the game, I will not believe it was caused by their tenacious defenses.

Richmond 70 - Dayton 61 = This is a little more like it. The Spiders get an important A-10 victory on the road, and stay within reach of the league lead at 5-1.

Florida Gulf Coast 111 - Stetson 103 (3OT) = Wow. Wanna bet those guys slept good last night?

There are many good conference matchups tonight, and I can't post them all. Here are two handfuls which jumped out at me:

Louisville vs. West Virginia = Both of these teams have played well, and played poorly. If both come in focused, and they both have good reason to do so, this could be a war.

Drexel vs. James Madison = Another of those big games in a small conference. The CAC seems to have twice as many teams who deserve a bid to the NCAA than they will likely receive, so each win counts hugely.

Georgetown vs. St. John's = The Red Storm have shown great improvement over past seasons, and are capable of beating the Hoyas, even down in DC. In fact, they are actually a 1/2-game ahead of Georgetown in the Big Mouth at this point. But honestly, I don't think they will be so tomorrow. Well, truth be told, I KNOW they won't, one way or the other.

East Carolina vs. Southern Mississippi = These two are not the usual suspects in the CUSA, but they both are still in the race. Considering how badly they'd like to stay there, this one should be fun.

Villanova vs. Providence = The Wildcats are coming off a huge victory over Syracuse. The Friars are coming of an even bigger one, for them anyway, over Loiuisville. Though this one is in Rhode Island, I don't think the home court will be a deciding factor. If 'Nova shows up, this one won't be close. If Providence does, and 'Nova struggles even a bit, it just might. But don't bet on that, for sure.

Texas vs. Oklahoma State = The Cowboys have played very well at time, yet have had problems in conference play. The Longhorns just got one of the biggest wins in their history, yet this is the traditional time of the year when they start to crash and burn. If you're anywhere near Stillwater tonight, you know where you should be. This one will either be a romp by the 'Horns, or a real barnburner.

North Carolina vs. Miami = One so-called "expert" has cited a report from Chapel Hill that the Tar Heels are "close to turning the corner". I don't know what the hell that means, and I won't believe it anyway until I see it on the court. The only good sign I've seen lately is the improved play of freshman gruad Kendall Marshall, and subsequent increased minutes granted by Roy. The Heels will likely need at least 6 more conference wins to grab a bid in March. They'd better get one of them against the bottom-feeding 'Canes in Coral Gables tonight.

LSU vs. Tennessee = The Tigers were not supposed to challenge in the SEC this season, and so far they've accomplished precisely that. The Vols were supposed to have at least a shot at challenging Kentucky, and so far they have repeatedly disappointed expectations. I have little faith in either of these teams, so flip a coin.

Murray State vs. SIU Edwardsville = As important as it is for my Heels to win some conference games against the bottom-feeders, it is much more important for Joe's Racers to do so. This should be a spanking, and if not, shame on them.

Minnesota vs. Northwestern = The Golden Gophers just lost their point guard to injury, so if there's any time for the Wise'Cats to pounce on them, it is tonight. They are in general not as good a team, but they don't suck, and the Gophers may have problems adjusting with Al Nolen cheering from the bench while nursing his broken foot.

SMU vs. Tulsa = Here's two teams with a bit of history (some good, some bad) which are trying desperately to remain better than .500 squads. This one could get nasty.

Rutgers vs. Cincinnati = The Bearcats have home court, and a better team. The Scarlet Knights are probably still a year or two away. But hey, if Providence can beat Louisville, and Seton Hall beat Syracuse, then Rutgers can beat Cincy . . . right?

Rhode Island vs. LaSalle = The Rams have beated good teams, and have lost to crappy ones. The Billikens are a crappy team. As above, who knows?

Creighton vs. Northern Iowa = Both of these teams are decent, and both are chasing teams above them in the Missouri Valley. If this one is not close, I'd be shocked.

San Diego State vs. BYU = And we end the day with a game I've been looking forwards to all month. The Aztecs is the only other undefeated team left in the country (other than the Buckeyes, that is), and their remaining schedule does not offer them the challenges OSU will face. But here is one of them. Although I don't believe the 19-1 Cougars are truly the 9th best team in the nation, I do know they can give the 20-0 and 4th-ranked Aztecs as much as they can handle . . . especially at home. Ultimately, this game in Provo may not provo anything, one way or the other, but it still should be of interest to any college hoops fan.

That's all for now. See you tomorrow, if I don't get snowed in. Until then . . . enjoy.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:13 PM   #178
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

I could post a couple of pages on the important conference games last night, which is typical of this time of year. Yet I shall limit myself to a dozen or so of note:

Providence 83 - Villanova 68 = Yeah, I know the Friars have had a few good games this season. Yeah, I know 'Nova has had its problems from time to time. Yeah, I know the game was in Rhode Island, and I also know the Big East has had a number of big upsets over the last couple of weeks. But this approaches a whuppin', and I never expected this. Another great win for Providence, and another piece of evidence that the Philly'Cats have issues to address.

Memphis 77 - UCF 61 = And amongst those other things I also know, I fully realize I didn't buy into the "national ranking" crap for the Orlando Mickeys when they started off 14-0. Thus I can't claim to be in total shock that they have now lost 5 in a row, and reside in the CUSA cellar alone. Yet a spanking like this begs the question of how the hell they managed to win those other games.

BYU 71 - San Diego State 58 = To a much lesser degree, the same point applies here. OK, I never expected the Aztecs to go undefeated all year, as I don't expect any team to do so these days. And though I never thought they were the 4th best team in the nation, just as I still don't think the Cougars are the 9th best (and maybe even moving up from that), I did understand that SDSU could lose this game in Provo. Yet they didn't just lose it . . . they got beat, but good. Go figure.

Charleston 65 - Georgia Southern 61 = And this one's somewhat surprising, since I feel Charleston is a much better team, is amongst the class of the Southern Conference,and should have chased GS off the court . . . even if that court was in Statesboro. Well, a win's a win, I reckon. Speaking of which . . .

ODU 51 - Georgia State 48 = This is pretty much the same story in the CAC, and the Monarchs nearly cacked it up. Again, a win's a win, but still. And still speaking of such . . .

UNC 74 - Miami 71 = Another league contender, in another league, just squeaking by a bottom-feeder in a road game. The Heels fell behind big early, but made a run to close the gap. Harrison Barnes hit a 3 at the halftime buzzer to tie it at 39 going into the break, and hit a 3 with 6.6 seconds left to give Carolina its winning margin. Those were his only 2 treys for the game, so I guess he deserves some props for picking the right spots. Once more, a win's a win. And while we're on the subject . . .

Murray State 67 - SIU Edwardsville 61 = Joe's Racers tried too damn hard to p!$$ this away. SIU-E is a pig of the independents, and has only won 4 D-1 games all year. For this one to be a 2-possession victory . . . well, again, it is better than a 1-possession loss, but not by much. Speaking of which . . .

Jacksonville 63 - North Florida 62 (OT) = OK, so maybe I will give the Dolphins a bit of a pass on this one. On the surface, one might think they should have totally outclassed the Ospreys, as their 13-6 record shames NF's 8-13 one. But look closer. The Ospreys came in 5-4 in the Atlantic Sun, as opposed to J'ville's 6-3. That's no significant diff. Furthermore, the Osprey losses include ones to Florida State, Pitt, Missouri, Purdue, Texas, Maryland, and Kansas State . . . not to mention good teams like Furman, Belmont, and Lipscomb. With experience like that, it no surprise they gave Jacksonville such a good game.

Louisville 55 - West Virginia 54 = And aside from the disgracefully low score, I will give both teams a pass on this one. I expected it to be a war, and it was.

SMU 59 - Tulsa 58 = I could say exactly the same thing here, but why bother? I tend to repeat myself enough already.

Northern Iowa 71 - Creighton 66 = The NIU Panthers kept at least some hope alive that they may get a shot at repeating their NCAA magic of last season by keeping pace in the Missouri Valley Conference. But they still must face all 3 of the other MVC contenders, so they'd better not stub their toes upon the also-rans.

Tonight's line-up includes even more vital conference action, including:

Michigan State vs. Michigan = Alright, so maybe this one's not all that vital. The Wolverines want it so as to stay out of the Big Ten basement, and the Spartans don't wish to drop out of a tie for 5th. Yet when you consider the fact that, at 12-7 and 4-3, MSU is STILL ranked 25th in the country, what difference does it really make. It seems as if they could lose a few more, and perhaps even move up the standings.

Hofstra vs. VCU = But there's no doubt this one's a biggie. Both of them are 8-1 in the CAC, just above George Mason and ODU. So both of them want the win badly. As it is down in Richmond, give the Rams a slim edge over the Pride. Still, it could go either way, and should be a real good one.

Maryland vs. Virginia = And here, the dreams of both for a NCAA bid is quickly becoming a fantasy. They are both 2-3 in ACC play, and have perhaps too much work to do to earn a slot come March. Tonight could be the first step up for one, and will be another step down for the other. They play it in Charlottesville, so the Cavs might be favored by a bucket or so.

Vanderbilt vs. Mississippi State = The Comms are still on the national radar, while the Bulldogs are not. Yet they are both 2-2 in SEC play, while MSU is actually in a better position in the West division than is Vandy in the (admittedly tougher) East. Even though the game is in Starksville, I have to go with Vandy here. I think they are a better team, and I KNOW they are a more experienced one. The 'Dawgs have not beaten a quality opponent all year . . . and mainly because they really haven't PLAYED a quality opponent all year, unless you count spankings by Virginia Tech, Washington State, St. Mary's, Alabama, and Georgia as "experience".

Austin Peay vs. Eastern Kentucky = The AP Governors want to keep pace with Tennessee State atop the OVC, and the Colonels can't afford to drop any lower than they are at present. They are the host, and as neither team seems to be that much better or worse than the other, it should be tight throughout.

Rider vs. Iona = And although the Fairfield Stags are ahead of both the Broncos and the Gaels in the MAAC (just barely, but still), both teams want to stay in touch with the lead. In their first meeting, Iona took it 100-96. These are good squads, so expect another fight to the finish.

Duke vs. Boston College = These are good squads too, and even though it is in Durham you can give the Eagles a shot at pulling off the upset, and remain in the hunt for the ACC. I wouldn't bet on it, as the Blue Devils are hard to beat in Cameron, but we should have a fairly decent game here.

UCLA vs. Arizona = Here are two storied programs, and at 5-2 both are still in the Pac-10 race. I think the desert 'Cats have played a little better, and this one is in Tucson to boot. I figure AZ by maybe three possessions.

Illinois vs. Indiana = OK, so I really don't give the Hoosiers much of a chance here, even in Bloomington. However, the Illini have lost 3 road games in a row, and their 14-6 record (though not as bad as Michigan State's 12-7) scarcely seems to justify their Top 20 rating. But hey, what do I know? Well, I know Indiana will show up, and may even give them game.

St. Mary's vs. Gonzaga = The Gaels are coming off a loss to Vandy, and a loss of their brief national ranking, yet at 5-0 hold a slim lead over surprising San Francisco in the West Coast Conference. Even more surprising, Gonzaga is a passable 13-7 overall, and at 3-2 in WCC play is tied for 3rd with Santa Clara . . . and not at their accustomed zenith. These factors make this a huge game for both schools, and I'd expect barns to be burning in Spokane tonight.

That's all for me today. Enjoy.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:35 PM   #179
jcruse64
Adjusting to the Life

You're right; the Racers....Arrrgh!

Go Eastern!!!!!

The Vandy game is pretty good, so far.

Michigan/Michigan St started off good, but Michigan is starting to trounce them late in the 2nd.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:08 PM   #180
jcruse64
Adjusting to the Life

Wow! Good finish to the Mich vs Mich St game.