Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 01-20-2012, 10:38 AM   #1
poker
1:11

First Name: Kelly
Trading: (7)
Cohiba
poker has disabled reputation
Default Lens question for Nikon DSLR owners

Just picked up a Nikon D7000 and looking for opinions on some nice glass. I was interested in the Nikkor 85mm f/1.4 AF-S, and a Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 SIC SW Prime.
The camera came with a 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S VR lens but Im interested in your opinions on some nice lenses and where I might start looking for a good price. What about used or refurbed lenses? Pros/cons/forget it?

Thanks for any and all help.

Cigar Asylum: A cigar board birthed without agendas, without profiting, and without advertisements. Amor puro

Character is what you do when no one is watching
poker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:47 AM   #2
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation
Default Re: Lens question for Nikon DSLR owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by poker View Post
where I might start looking for a good price. What about used or refurbed lenses? Pros/cons/forget it?
I'm a Canon guy, so I can't comment on the Nikkor lenses, but for used lenses and equipment, I've been doing business with KEH Camera ( www.keh.com ) for over 20 years now and have yet to be disappointed. They rate their stuff very well and they really do stand behind it.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:50 AM   #3
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

B&H Photo is another great place to deal with. You can get some nice deals on used equipment there also.

My friend just got in a really nice lens for his D3000. Let me find out which one, as I know he loves it.

Me, I want either the 80-200 2.8 or the newer 70-200 2.8VR. Only if I was made of cash.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:01 AM   #4
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Talked with my buddy, he got the 35 1.8 for XMas and loves that lens. It's pricey, but takes some incredible photos.

I had the opportunity years ago to us a friends 35-135 Nikkor lens on my N70 film camera. Stellar portrait lens. The sharpness on all ends was spot on, plus it opened wide enough to get a nice bokeh. I didn't want to give it back.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:06 AM   #5
poker

Cohiba

I saw that 35mm f/1.8 too but when I saw the 50mm f/1.4 I almost pulled the trigger but figured I better wait and ask a few questions first.

Cigar Asylum: A cigar board birthed without agendas, without profiting, and without advertisements. Amor puro

Old 01-20-2012, 11:10 AM   #6
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

It's hard to beat a nice prime lens. That 50 would give you a digital equivilant of 75mm f1.4 which would be a awesome setup for a great deal of shooting. I can't imagine how low light you could use a f1.4 lens in.

I've seen my friends shots with the 35 f1.8 and there are very nice, but for me it's too short of lens. I do more outside/action stuff so need lengths on the other end of the spectrum.

What type of pictures will you be taking primarily?
Old 01-20-2012, 11:24 AM   #7
poker

Cohiba

Primary would be portrait and landscape type shots

Old 01-20-2012, 11:47 AM   #8
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Quote:
Primary would be portrait and landscape type shots
Hmm, I would think the 85mm f1.4 would be better suited for that application, but then again I don't shoot that style so the 50 might work. Nikkor makes some nice glass so I don't think you could go wrong with picking up their stuff. I would honestly look at used. As long as the glass is still in good shape and the body isn't beat up you'll save a bit of coin going that route.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:04 PM   #9
poker

Cohiba

The 50mm f/1.4 AF-S is not really the wallet breaker, its the 85mm f/1.4G AF-S and no luck so far finding one used.

Old 01-20-2012, 12:39 PM   #10
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Quote:
The 50mm f/1.4 AF-S is not really the wallet breaker, its the 85mm f/1.4G AF-S and no luck so far finding one used.
Yea, I saw B&H had a new one for $1600 or so.

I wish I had $1700 myself. they have a used 70-200 2.8VR in a 9+ condition.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:07 PM   #11
ArgusP2
It's Smokin' Time!

First Name: Angel
Trading: (13)
RA
ArgusP2 is a jewel in the roughArgusP2 is a jewel in the roughArgusP2 is a jewel in the rough

Hey Kelly! Give these guys a try if you are unsure of a particular lens. You can try them out first.
www.rentglass.com

-Bdawg
ArgusP2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:37 PM   #12
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgusP2 View Post
Hey Kelly! Give these guys a try if you are unsure of a particular lens. You can try them out first.
www.rentglass.com
Is PRS still around? Like 2 minutes off the 10 at Bundy. They had everything. I don't think there was a professional lens that they didn't carry.

I'm sure Sammy's on Fairfax still does rentals too.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:49 PM   #13
Brutus2600
Your resident lancerHO

First Name: Brian
Trading: (46)
LGC
Brutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura about

I just bought a D7000 a month ago as well. I previously had purchased the 50mm 1.8, and that is really my favorite lens of the four I own (18-55, 70-200, 18-105, 50).

The 50 works great for portraits, shots you want a super creamy background in, and up close work too. On the other hand, I've been VERY pleased with the 18-105 kit lens that came with the D7000. I think it really handles the 85mm and 105mm lengths great, so really you just have to ask yourself what focal length are you going to be shooting the most in and in what kind of light.

I use the 50mm in low light more than I do the longer focal points, so the 50mm made the most sense to me.

Do you have any other lenses or is this your first Nikon F-Mount camera?
Brutus2600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:59 PM   #14
poker

Cohiba

First Nikon. Had Canons before this.

Old 01-20-2012, 01:09 PM   #15
Brutus2600
Your resident lancerHO

LGC
Brutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura about

What was your favorite lens on your Canon?
Old 01-20-2012, 01:47 PM   #16
poker

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus2600 View Post
What was your favorite lens on your Canon?
Actually neither of the Canon lenses I had were very impressive. Granted both lenses were on the lower end quality wise. I figured this time I wouldn't try to cheap out on the glass.

Old 01-20-2012, 01:57 PM   #17
Brutus2600
Your resident lancerHO

LGC

Well the good news is, with the D7000 you can get any Nikon lens and you don't have to limit yourself to the ones with the internal motor (also, ones without the internal motor are cheaper!).

Having said that, the 50mm 1.4 is a fairly cheap, very amazing lens. If you wanted to go an even more inexpensive route, the 50mm 1.8D (no internal motor) is only around $100. Then save up and get a longer prime lens later on. Between the 18-105 and the 50mm I think you'll be pretty happy.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:35 PM   #18
poker

Cohiba

Thanks Brian! Definetly something I'll consider.

Old 01-20-2012, 03:54 PM   #19
poker

Cohiba

Found and pulled the trigger on a used but mint condition AF-S 50mm f/1.4G!

Old 01-20-2012, 04:05 PM   #20
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

kelly. for the future you can get new/refurb/used lenses at Adorama and B&H and used lenses from usedcameras.com i have used all these sites at one point in time for either a lens or body