Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 01-31-2011, 09:18 AM   #1
jmsremax
Yet another Masshole

First Name: Jon
Trading: (19)
jmsremax will become famous soon enough
Cool Another f#$&ing Apple discussion; Verizon iphone

Ok folks,

For those of you wanting the iphone on Verizon's network are you planning on going with the iphone4 or sitting back and waiting a few more months in hopes that Apple will provide Verizon with the iphone5 which is supposed to be much improved: new processor, slimmer, blah, blah, blah. See it here:
http://nexus404.com/Blog/2011/01/15/...-model-alread/

I have been waiting 2+ years for this day to come and now that it is here I am wondering if I will be able to take a back seat to this Thursday' preorder. A 4g phone is something I feel I should wait out for, but if I do decide to wait until the summer only to find out Apple will not release the iphone5 on their network at that time I will be royally pissed. The only thing that makes me think they will be getting the latest phone this summer is Verizon's unlimited data package for all those willing to get the iphone4 in 2 weeks. Thoughts?
Old 01-31-2011, 09:22 AM   #2
cmitch
Heads up get down

First Name: Clayton
Trading: (25)
Montecristo
cmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nice
Default Re: Another f#$&ing Apple discussion; Verizon iphone

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsremax View Post
Ok folks,

For those of you wanting the iphone on Verizon's network are you planning on going with the iphone4 or sitting back and waiting a few more months in hopes that Apple will provide Verizon with the iphone5 which is supposed to be much improved: new processor, slimmer, blah, blah, blah. See it here:

I have been waiting 2+ years for this day to come and now that it is here I am wondering if I will be able to take a back seat to this Thursday' preorder. A 4g phone is something I feel I should wait out for, but if I do decide to wait until the summer only to find out Apple will not release the iphone5 on their network at that time I will be royally pissed. The only thing that makes me think they will be getting the latest phone this summer is Verizon's unlimited data package for all those willing to get the iphone4 in 2 weeks. Thoughts?
My understanding is that the innards of an iPhone Verizon phone is completely different than that of the AT&T counterpart, since Verizon and AT&T use completely different technology to deliver their signal. So, I would suspect that until Apple gets their investment plus some from making an iPhone 4 for the Verizon network, you will not see a Verizon iPhone 5 when AT&T gets theirs. Apple still has some kind of closet relationship with AT&T and I'm sure AT&T will get the cool stuff first.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:39 AM   #3
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

If you'll enjoy it, why would you wait? Especially based on putting it off because something "might" happen later this summer?
Just order the damned thing and enjoy it. Regardless of what it is or isn't, there's gonna be a new one in a year.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:42 AM   #4
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bkce0YgqnrY
Old 01-31-2011, 09:58 AM   #5
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
If you'll enjoy it, why would you wait? Especially based on putting it off because something "might" happen later this summer?
Just order the damned thing and enjoy it. Regardless of what it is or isn't, there's gonna be a new one in a year.

I am enjoying my third iPhone 4 as I await the 5.

Oh, and as far as the 5 coming this summer to Verizon, there is a better chance of catching a fart in a windstorm and painting it green.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:03 AM   #6
bvilchez
En búsqueda.....

First Name: Bolivar aka Jay
Trading: (76)
Bolivar MarineCorps (Active)
bvilchez has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post

I am enjoying my third iPhone 4 as I await the 5.

Oh, and as far as the 5 coming this summer to Verizon, there is a better chance of catching a fart in a windstorm and painting it green.

I had a cousin of mine who did that once but he painted it blue instead
bvilchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:08 AM   #7
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

Just looked at the Verizon site and it looks like you will be paying the $199 with a 2 year contract. You'll be hard pressed to find a hot Smart Phone for free.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:21 AM   #8
awsmith4
Simple Pleasures - 2oL

First Name: Albert
Trading: (111)
HUpmann
awsmith4 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoflex View Post
Just looked at the Verizon site and it looks like you will be paying the $199 with a 2 year contract. You'll be hard pressed to find a hot Smart Phone for free.
I figured that out after posting, however my current phone can trade in for $32. Considering I only paid $50 for 2 of this phone I feel that is fair. Looks like if I wait till October I get additional discounts as well. The cheap bastard side of me will probably make me wait
awsmith4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:31 AM   #9
jmsremax
Yet another Masshole

First Name: Jon
Trading: (19)
jmsremax will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
Because I've waited over 2 years...what's a few more months. At least that is what I'm trying to tell myself.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:03 AM   #10
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Because I've waited over 2 years...what's a few more months. At least that is what I'm trying to tell myself.
In my way of thinking, the CDMA iPhone 4 is brand new. If it comes out in a couple weeks or whatever, it'll be a year or better until the CDMA iPhone 5 comes out.
At least that makes sense, as all the resources are going to be tied up banging out the GSM iPhone 5, and it's the way Apple has upgraded every device in the past. It simply doesn't make sense that they'd release the 4, then the 5 in six months. Not from a business standpoint, or a manufacturing standpoint, or any standpoint, and it's not how they've done things in the past.

If I were employing a strategy based on my plan, which allows an upgrade every 18 months (or whatever), I'd want to get my phone immediately. That way I'd be only 6 months waiting for the iPhone 6, and my plan would already be ready, know what I mean?
If you wait 8 months, you'll end up having to wait for not only the 5 (and it may not show up), but if you go ahead and finally get the 4 cause you're tired of waiting, you'll get screwed when the 6 comes out.
That all goes right back to "no better time than the present", and "you might be dead tomorrow". Add to that "You're never going to out-think The Man", and that's some real strong arguments to get it now.
One more thing...
If you don't do it now, and you change your mind a month from now, the waiting list will likely be months and months, and you won't get anything.

I promise you, you'll be happy if you get the phone now. They are simply awesome, and just plain fun. Will you be more happy and have more fun if you wait till later? I have no way of knowing, plus you might be dead.
What I can say is that I just got the 4, and it's no more fun than the 3gs I just got rid of, and it's supposed to be a phenomenal advancement. *shrug*
Old 01-31-2011, 09:44 AM   #11
mmblz

Trading: (3)
Partagas
mmblz has disabled reputation

I'm waiting for a tracfone iphone
Old 01-31-2011, 11:24 AM   #12
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

First Name: Boffa
Trading: (48)
Partagas
HK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmblz View Post
I'm waiting for a tracfone iphone
Awesome! Does it have a slot in the side to insert the quarters?

"Please add another .25 cents to extend your call by 5 minutes."
HK3- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:22 PM   #13
mmblz

Trading: (3)
Partagas
mmblz has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK3- View Post
Awesome! Does it have a slot in the side to insert the quarters?

"Please add another .25 cents to extend your call by 5 minutes."
I don't know - we'll have to wait and see!
All I know is I spend in a year what most people spend in 2 months on their cell phone plans
Old 01-31-2011, 01:16 PM   #14
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmblz View Post
I don't know - we'll have to wait and see!
All I know is I spend in a year what most people spend in 2 months on their cell phone plans
I just went this route too, with unlimited calls, texts and internet. Between that and canceling my home phone, by bill went down more than 75%...and my service in on the AT&T network, so it's exactly the same as it was before.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:55 AM   #15
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (73)
Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough

Some info in this thread:

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showth...t=41007&page=4
Old 01-31-2011, 09:57 AM   #16
awsmith4
Simple Pleasures - 2oL

HUpmann

My upgrade is not until September so I'm waiting until then regardless
Old 01-31-2011, 10:01 AM   #17
awsmith4
Simple Pleasures - 2oL

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by awsmith4 View Post
My upgrade is not until September so I'm waiting until then regardless
Well never mind, now it says I am eligible but my wife's phone is not until September. So if I am eligible does that mean its free or do I still have to pay a reduced rate?
Old 01-31-2011, 09:57 AM   #18
jonumberone
Raw Dog

First Name: Dom
Trading: (62)
RA
jonumberone has disabled reputation

I'm not going to wait.
When I phone 5 comes out there will be just as many articles telling you not to get it because I phone 6 is coming
Old 01-31-2011, 10:47 AM   #19
McSmokey
Feeling at Home

First Name: Justin
Trading: (30)
LGC
McSmokey will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Ok folks,

Well if you take the article linked at face value it should be worth the wait because it states the 5 will will be a Qualcomm phone, which has the tech for all the different bands used by both networks. While they were just regular cellphones I have owned 2 other "Qualcomm" phones in the past and in my opinion they actually had better reception than other phones no trying to get anyones hopes up but I am hoping to see the same results if a Qualcomm iPhone does come to pass.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:06 AM   #20
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSmokey View Post
Well if you take the article linked at face value it should be worth the wait because it states the 5 will will be a Qualcomm phone, which has the tech for all the different bands used by both networks. While they were just regular cellphones I have owned 2 other "Qualcomm" phones in the past and in my opinion they actually had better reception than other phones no trying to get anyones hopes up but I am hoping to see the same results if a Qualcomm iPhone does come to pass.
My daughter and I had Qualcomm Windows slider phones a few years back. We rued the day we ever got them, they were sheer hell. Not that it's comparable, it's just that you made me think of them. Hell they were, sheer hell.