Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 05-06-2009, 02:57 PM   #1
Kwilkinson

Default What to smoke for graduation?

In November, I will be graduating culinary school with my degree in culinary arts. It's been a long, strange trip through the last 22 years, and I am happy that I've found something that not only am I successful with, but that truly makes me happy every day.
That said, what cigar should I smoke for celebration on the day of graduation? I posted this in the NC forum b/c I don't have much experience with CCs, but have nothing against them if there is a good recommendation.
Since November is a pretty good while away, I was hoping to get this cigar before too long and make sure it has plenty of time to rest before smoking it. Also, I don't mind dropping a little bit of coin for this special occasion, but no $80 stick recommendations please. So any good recommendations??
Thanks in advance.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:06 PM   #2
boonedoggle
The Search is ON

First Name: Jimmy
Trading: (19)
RA AirForce (Active)
boonedoggle will become famous soon enough
Default Re: What to smoke for graduation?

I almost always recommend a Padron 1964 Anniversary Maduro. These are the best, IMHO! Congrats!
Old 05-06-2009, 03:25 PM   #3
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

Congratulations, chef!

What do you like? That is the key. I'm not a big Padron or Fuente fan. My
would be the Ashton Estate Sungrown. Or any cc Cohiba.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:25 PM   #4
eber
Have My Own Room

First Name: Erik
Trading: (7)
Bolivar
eber will become famous soon enough

my last special occasion smoke was a Padron 1926 80th maduro, it was pretty awesome
eber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 04:30 PM   #5
gnukfu
I like cigars

First Name: George
Trading: (27)
LGC
gnukfu is a jewel in the roughgnukfu is a jewel in the roughgnukfu is a jewel in the roughgnukfu is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by eber View Post
my last special occasion smoke was a Padron 1926 80th maduro, it was pretty awesome

gnukfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 07:05 AM   #6
KidRock
Moped Herf Crew

First Name: Jon
Trading: (17)
Trinidad
KidRock has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by eber View Post
+3 This cigar is the best one that I have ever smoked.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:26 PM   #7
DougBushBC

I definately consider the God of Fire line to be "Celebratory Smokes" Maybe a nice Carlito? Try and grab one with some age? They are fantastic smokes that are mildly overpriced.

The other one that I just bought for a celebration that is coming soon (a ring involved ) is the La Aurora Vintage Puro Sol Salomone... Try it!
Old 05-06-2009, 04:16 PM   #8
Lensjockie

Padron 1964 Anniversary Maduro, or Gurkha Black Dragon 7 inch
Old 05-06-2009, 04:37 PM   #9
Darrell

H. Upmann Sir Winston.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:41 PM   #10
gnukfu
I like cigars

First Name: George
Trading: (27)
LGC
gnukfu is a jewel in the roughgnukfu is a jewel in the roughgnukfu is a jewel in the roughgnukfu is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell View Post
H. Upmann Sir Winston.
Well for crying out loud Darrell....this is the non-cuban section! I would vote for a Mag 50 just because that is the latest cuban I'm in love with.

gnukfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 08:45 AM   #11
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnukfu View Post
Well for crying out loud Darrell....this is the non-cuban section! I would vote for a Mag 50 just because that is the latest cuban I'm in love with.
I'd have to agree with George, I have had a couple and they are exquisite - and they are only from 2008. I cannot imagine what these ould be like with some age.

Of course, as we are looking at NCs, I'd have to concur with the Padron '64 Maduros are about the tops, and the Exclusivo is (IMO) the best of them.

However, I am going to through out another that is simply exquisite, with some of the most incredible flavors (but less full-bodied). That is the Moore & Bode Flamboyan blend. If you can get some of these, you will not be disappointed - the Salvadore is great, and the Brass or Full Brass are simply incredible.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:53 AM   #12
Darrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnukfu View Post
Technically, it's ALL Cigar Discussion.
Old 05-07-2009, 05:08 AM   #13
troutbreath
Feeling at Home

First Name: Mike
Trading: (0)
troutbreath is on a distinguished road

First, congratulations! Good luck in your future endeavors.

Second, I would go with one of my personal favs (in this case, your personal favs), and carefully pair it with the mood and menu of the evening. There are lots of good cigars people can recommend, but they could overpower the celebration or be of a vitola that is not appropriate for the time available or mood of the room. Choosing one of your favorites will also assure that you like the selection.

Have a great time!
troutbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 06:53 AM   #14
ahc4353

I agree with going with something you know you like or at least a Marca you like. Maybe with a few years on it. My idea of a great cigar might not be yours.

With that said, what are a couple of your favorite Marca's both CC and NC?
Old 05-07-2009, 07:16 AM   #15
rrplasencia
monica lewinsky

First Name: Richard
Trading: (55)
JL Navy (Served With Honor)
rrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of light

GOF or Davidoff Winston Churchill

Congrats on making through culinary school. You should prepare yourself to miss holidays, birthdays, anny's, nights, and weekends, and family, and friends. Find yourself the biggest toughest S.O.B. chef you can find because it will pay off in the end. And don't be that guy that shows up the first day after graduating and has chef written on his jacket. We destroyed that kid when he walked in . It's a long, tough, thankless road but if you can weather it will truly be a rewarding career. Good luck.

books to get Michel Bras, Thomas Keller, & *Culinary Artistry*(for flavor profiles)
Old 05-07-2009, 07:18 AM   #16
Kwilkinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrplasencia View Post
GOF or Davidoff Winston Churchill

Congrats on making through culinary school. You should prepare yourself to miss holidays, birthdays, anny's, nights, and weekends, and family, and friends. Find yourself the biggest toughest S.O.B. chef you can find because it will pay off in the end. And don't be that guy that shows up the first day after graduating and has chef written on his jacket. We destroyed that kid when he walked in . It's a long, tough, thankless road but if you can weather it will truly be a rewarding career. Good luck.

books to get Michel Bras, Thomas Keller, & *Culinary Artistry*(for flavor profiles)
Thanks! I staged for a couple months in a restaurant here. The Chef really kicked my ass, and I enjoyed it to be honest. I felt like it made me tougher, but it also made me feel like part of the team instead of an outsider stage. The one thing I learned is that when you're new in a kitchen, you best keep your head down, your mouth shut, and your ears open.
Thanks for the book recs! I've got TFL and Culinary Artistry (those profile pages are seriously awesome) but I'll have to pick up Bras.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:33 AM   #17
D_A
Dave's not here

First Name: David
Trading: (7)
Bolivar
D_A is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrplasencia View Post
Congrats on making through culinary school. You should prepare yourself to miss holidays, birthdays, anny's, nights, and weekends, and family, and friends ...
Yup, that's one of the reasons I eventually left the business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwilkinson View Post
The one thing I learned is that when you're new in a kitchen, you best keep your head down, your mouth shut, and your ears open.
Hey, you passed FNG 101 already.
D_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 07:36 AM   #18
Kwilkinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_A View Post
Hey, you passed FNG 101 already.
Had to google FNG, but
Old 05-07-2009, 08:27 AM   #19
rrplasencia
monica lewinsky

First Name: Richard
Trading: (55)
JL Navy (Served With Honor)
rrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwilkinson View Post
The one thing I learned is that when you're new in a kitchen, you best keep your head down, your mouth shut, and your ears open.
With that statement alone you're more set-up to succeed then all the crap kids i get coming out of CIA, PICA, J&W, and Le Cordon Blew. (i spelled it that way on purpose)
Old 05-07-2009, 07:03 AM   #20
big a
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (42)
RyJ
big a will become famous soon enough

I just picked up some celevration sticks, I ended up getting a AF shark, Davidoff series R, Davidoff Millenium, And a Padron 1926. All of those came highly recommended to me from BOTL.