Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 05-04-2009, 07:43 PM   #1
TripleF
11/11/11 EPIC IV

First Name: Scott
Trading: (176)
TripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to behold
Default The newspaper today

Did you ever have a newspaper route? I did.

I know new ways to obtain news is quickly taking over the traditonal morning delivered newspaper. Very few get the newspaper anymore.

It's saddening for me to see something this traditional slipping away. Kinda represented simplicity. Guess I'm just old fashioned.
TripleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 07:45 PM   #2
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of
Default Re: The newspaper today

How about in the old days when there was an evening edition of the paper.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:48 PM   #3
SmokeyJoe
Chief Wannastogie Lounge

First Name: Joe
Trading: (28)
VR
SmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud of

I was an "alternate" paper-boy. I would do the route for three guys who had three different routes if one of them was sick or on vacation. Remember delivering during the blizzard of 1977... 3 feet of snow with some huge drifts.

I haven't taken the paper in 6 years or so...
Old 05-04-2009, 07:50 PM   #4
TripleF
11/11/11 EPIC IV

TripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicCook View Post
How about in the old days when there was an evening edition of the paper.

I do remember the evening newspaper. Now I'm even sadder....
Old 05-04-2009, 07:46 PM   #5
DPD6030
Shepard of the sheeple

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (151)
Partagas
DPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud of

Or when milk came in glass bottles by the milkman. Not that old just saw it on tv.
DPD6030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 08:04 PM   #6
TripleF
11/11/11 EPIC IV

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPD6030 View Post
Or when milk came in glass bottles by the milkman. Not that old just saw it on tv.

Yes sir I do remember the milkman. I actually collect milk bottles from my grandmother's dairy:
Old 05-04-2009, 08:09 PM   #7
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleF View Post
Yes sir I do remember the milkman. I actually collect milk bottles from my grandmother's dairy:
There is a country store up by me that has a huge collection of old glass milk bottles. You can see some of the bottles on the shelf top right of the picture. There are hundres of them around the store.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:49 PM   #8
cricky101
Micro brew tester

First Name: Chris
Trading: (8)
RA
cricky101 will become famous soon enough

I still like to buy a newspaper on the weekend when I have time to read the whole thing. But most of my news comes from newspaper Web sites these days.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:58 PM   #9
DPD6030
Shepard of the sheeple

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (151)
Partagas
DPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud of

Our city paper where I work used to be thick and huge back in the 50s and such (I looked at the archives). Now it's about 3 pages of worthless crap.
DPD6030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 08:05 PM   #10
floydpink
crazy diamond

First Name: Pete
Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation

I tell my kids about riding my bike through rain and snow on my bike with bag strapped on filled with newspapers and making 2 trips on Sundays due to the size of the papers.

My mom only felt sorry and drove me on a very rare occasion of a blizzard.

More than once, I wiped out on ice and had to pick up scattered papers off the road and put them back together and I remember a particularly mean German Shepard that never quite caught me although he tried for years.

I knew all my neighbors by name and for a 12 year old, the money was pretty good.

My newspaper route, shoveling snow from driveways and hot walking horses at the racetrack after they ran excercises at 5 am, I believe, gave me the work ethic I carry today in my 40's and probably explains why I feel that today's youth is lazy and has no idea what growing up really means...
Old 05-04-2009, 08:06 PM   #11
TripleF
11/11/11 EPIC IV

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydpink View Post
I tell my kids about riding my bike through rain and snow on my bike with bag strapped on filled with newspapers and making 2 trips on Sundays due to the size of the papers.

My mom only felt sorry and drove me on a very rare occasion of a blizzard.

I knew all my neighbors by name and for a 12 year old, the money was pretty good.

My newspaper route, shoveling snow from driveways and hot walking horses at the racetrack after they ran excercises at 5 am, I believe, gave me the work ethic I carry today in my 40's and probably explains why I feel that today's youth is lazy and has no idea what growing up really means...

Here! Here! Brother!! Preach it!!
Old 05-04-2009, 08:02 PM   #12
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

LGC

I only delivered a couple of times when my brother was not able to do his route. It took me forever since I did not know the route and it was on a Sunday with the huge paper.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:10 PM   #13
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

First Name: Warren
Trading: (19)
BlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the rough

I still occasionally buy a Sunday paper, but otherwise rarely read a paper. By the time I get today's newspaper, the news is a day old. I can get "fresh" news on the internet.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:18 PM   #14
kaelaria
Cigarobsession.com Baby!

First Name: Bryan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann
kaelaria is on a distinguished road

I had two huge routes before the internet existed obviously. I'm shocked there are any left now to tell you the truth - I literally only buy them when I need more fuel to light my charcoal.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:24 PM   #15
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

With the advent of the Internet it was only a matter of time before newspapers became obsolete. In the world now, people need everything now including the news. Throw in the economy and newspapers simply cannot make enough money to produce the paper form everyday.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:28 PM   #16
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Newspapers in NC went up to 75 cents today. I hate to see them fail, but...

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 08:28 PM   #17
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

LGC

It would be interesting to see if the papers make more advertising money with paper or internet.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:30 PM   #18
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicCook View Post
It would be interesting to see if the papers make more advertising money with paper or internet.
I may be wrong, but I think most papers make more revenue from their internet sites than the papers.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 08:35 PM   #19
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysutherland View Post
I may be wrong, but I think most papers make more revenue from their internet sites than the papers.
That is what I would guess also.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:42 PM   #20
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

I used to deliver a free, local paper in my neighborhood on my bike. It made money from advertising and I got paid a couple cents more per paper when there were inserts. Luckily, it only came out once a week so it didn't take up that much time. I lost my job when they decided to find delivery people who could cover more area in a car. Anyway, I still get the paper every day and enjoy reading it more on paper than I do online. Gotta like the ability to write on it and take it with you wherever you want (read: easy to toss after sitting on the throne a while - a place you might not want to bring a laptop or 3G phone ). That said, unless it can reinvent itself, I think it's just a matter of time before old media dies out.
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote