Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 10-16-2008, 07:21 PM   #1
smitdavi
Ambassador of Quan

First Name: David
Trading: (9)
RA
smitdavi has disabled reputation
Default Dog Question

Katie and I are looking to get a Choc Lab puppy in the near future. The question is: Is there anything that I can rub on the legs of our TV stand,coffee table, and table and chair legs to keep the dog from chewing on it? Or are there any other tips to keep them from chewing on the furniture?

Thanks
smitdavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 07:26 PM   #2
Gargoyle
Got Coffee?

First Name: Patrick
Trading: (7)
Bolivar Navy (Served With Honor)
Gargoyle will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Dog Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitdavi View Post
Katie and I are looking to get a Choc Lab puppy in the near future. The question is: Is there anything that I can rub on the legs of our TV stand,coffee table, and table and chair legs to keep the dog from chewing on it? Or are there any other tips to keep them from chewing on the furniture?

Thanks
We have a couple greater swiss mountain dogs. The male loved to chew things and we tried some kind of rosemary spray that he actually loved to chew on. We had very good luck with Grannick's Bitter Apple spray. The only negative is it seems to only last a short time before you have to re-apply it.

Good luck!
Gargoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 07:28 PM   #3
pakrat
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Jim
Trading: (2)
pakrat is on a distinguished road

Lots of chew toys. Gives them something safe to chew on.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:30 PM   #4
DrDubzz
Formerly RX2010

First Name: Tim
Trading: (34)
Bolivar AirForce (Active)
DrDubzz has a spectacular aura aboutDrDubzz has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by pakrat View Post
Lots of chew toys. Gives them something safe to chew on.
What he said, and a close watch
DrDubzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 10:40 PM   #5
chibnkr
Pedestrian Habano Elitist

LFdC
chibnkr is on a distinguished road

There is a product called "Bitter Apple" that is supposed to work.
chibnkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 03:04 AM   #6
livwire68
Las Vegas Herf Crew

Trading: (7)
SLR
livwire68 is on a distinguished road

Bitter apple spray? Not sure they make it though. But if they did I think it would work! It could possibly be found at one of them there places they sell fish and critter food. But honestly with it being a hunting dog and a puppy, it will more than likely need plenty to chew on (provide him/her enough "safe" toys and they shouldnt chew on things they are not supposed to. Also check out sites like Cabella'a/bass pro shops or even specific hunting dog training sites so that you might be able to start them off the right way.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:29 PM   #7
smitdavi
Ambassador of Quan

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle View Post
We have a couple greater swiss mountain dogs. The male loved to chew things and we tried some kind of rosemary spray that he actually loved to chew on. We had very good luck with Grannick's Bitter Apple spray. The only negative is it seems to only last a short time before you have to re-apply it.

Good luck!
I figured there was a spray on the market. Does it affect the wood at all?
Old 10-16-2008, 07:36 PM   #8
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

Bitter Apple will do the trick, indeed. Shouldn't bother furniture, test to be sure. If you're around and the puppy starts to chew get a squirt gun, fill it with lemon juice, and shoot him in the face and yell "NO!" Eyes will sting, mouth will pucker, and he/she will get the idea!

Good luck!
Old 10-16-2008, 07:43 PM   #9
smitdavi
Ambassador of Quan

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotreds View Post
Bitter Apple will do the trick, indeed. Shouldn't bother furniture, test to be sure. If you're around and the puppy starts to chew get a squirt gun, fill it with lemon juice, and shoot him in the face and yell "NO!" Eyes will sting, mouth will pucker, and he/she will get the idea!

Good luck!
Yeah...good training is also the key too imo
Old 10-16-2008, 07:46 PM   #10
St. Lou Stu
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tim
Trading: (21)
HdM
St. Lou Stu is a jewel in the roughSt. Lou Stu is a jewel in the roughSt. Lou Stu is a jewel in the rough

I second the Apple Bitter spray. Google should reveal a source. Per forum rules I cannot reveal sources.

Pretending to play golf since 1989
St. Lou Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 06:40 AM   #11
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Quote:

Good luck!
Stuff works great.
Many, many years ago, used it for a yorkie that loved chewing up the dining table and chairs.
It worked.
Blueface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 07:02 AM   #12
Pulse
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
Pulse is on a distinguished road

Training....training....training...early and consistently. Bitter Apple will work in some cases but randomly at best and isn't a silver bullet for chewing. Dogs chew my nature so given you have the advantage of getting a puppy, condition him/her at an early stage and be consistent in your training. Pick one or 2 chew toys that will be "thiers" to chew on. DO NOT make it a toy that is similar to a human piece of clothing etc. ( I.E. a shoe, etc...) Dogs cannot differentiate between their "shoe" and your shoe...to them, it's a chew toy. So go buy them a toy that they can use regularly to chew on that won't be confused with something else they shouldn't be chewing.

NOTHING and I mean NOTHING works better than consistency when it comes to training a dog. Dogs look to YOU to guide them so do it and do it consistently. Having a puppy is a great advantage as they will look to you to teach them the appropriate way to behave. Now that does't mean that a full grown dog can't be reconditioned, far from the truth. The old adage that an old dog can't learn new tricks is total BS...hehehe. Exercise the hell out of them, then proceed to train them (fetch, stay, sit, blah blah blah), then praise them after they do it right. (in that order)

I could go on and on and on and on about this as i've trained dozens upon dozens of dogs over the years this way so feel free to PM me if you would like to discuss this in more detail or have more questions and want my opinion.

Training a dog is a lot simpler than it's made out to be and never requires aggressive/negative behavior on your part to accomplish what you want...(yelling/hitting/etc.)

Now, this is just one opinion and many here have had huge success in their own methods which is great so take it for what it's worth. Just a random guy offering an opinion on a topic you asked about on an open forum...hehehe.

Smoke on!
Pulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 07:46 AM   #13
smitdavi
Ambassador of Quan

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulse View Post
Training....training....training...early and consistently. Bitter Apple will work in some cases but randomly at best and isn't a silver bullet for chewing. Dogs chew my nature so given you have the advantage of getting a puppy, condition him/her at an early stage and be consistent in your training. Pick one or 2 chew toys that will be "thiers" to chew on. DO NOT make it a toy that is similar to a human piece of clothing etc. ( I.E. a shoe, etc...) Dogs cannot differentiate between their "shoe" and your shoe...to them, it's a chew toy. So go buy them a toy that they can use regularly to chew on that won't be confused with something else they shouldn't be chewing.

NOTHING and I mean NOTHING works better than consistency when it comes to training a dog. Dogs look to YOU to guide them so do it and do it consistently. Having a puppy is a great advantage as they will look to you to teach them the appropriate way to behave. Now that does't mean that a full grown dog can't be reconditioned, far from the truth. The old adage that an old dog can't learn new tricks is total BS...hehehe. Exercise the hell out of them, then proceed to train them (fetch, stay, sit, blah blah blah), then praise them after they do it right. (in that order)

I could go on and on and on and on about this as i've trained dozens upon dozens of dogs over the years this way so feel free to PM me if you would like to discuss this in more detail or have more questions and want my opinion.

Training a dog is a lot simpler than it's made out to be and never requires aggressive/negative behavior on your part to accomplish what you want...(yelling/hitting/etc.)

Now, this is just one opinion and many here have had huge success in their own methods which is great so take it for what it's worth. Just a random guy offering an opinion on a topic you asked about on an open forum...hehehe.

Smoke on!
Wow...thanks for the response. Some good insight there. We find out today from the landlord if they will allow it or not. So keeping fingers crossed, I might pm you later today
Old 10-17-2008, 08:01 AM   #14
King James
Regard Me!

First Name: Jim
Bolivar
King James has disabled reputation

I second (well maybe 4th by now) using bitter apple. Although, I've never had to use it. Usually having a chew tow and watching closely to correct them (like Pulse said) if they start chewing works.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:38 PM   #15
Genetic Defect
difetosso

First Name: Perry
Trading: (5)
VR
Genetic Defect has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post
Stuff works great.
Many, many years ago, used it for a yorkie that loved chewing up the dining table and chairs.
It worked.
maybe you should spray Bill's ankles with bitter apple.
Genetic Defect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 06:45 PM   #16
chibnkr
Pedestrian Habano Elitist

LFdC
chibnkr is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post
Stuff works great.
It worked.
Yeah, that's what my wife told me...bitter apple. FWIW, she is a veterinarian so she knows her stuff, LOL.
chibnkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 07:03 PM   #17
Genetic Defect
difetosso

First Name: Perry
Trading: (5)
VR
Genetic Defect has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by chibnkr View Post
Yeah, that's what my wife told me...bitter apple. FWIW, she is a veterinarian so she knows her stuff, LOL.
she did marry you
Genetic Defect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 02:22 AM   #18
RGD.
God Like Status

First Name: Ron
Trading: (1)
VR Army (Served With Honor)
RGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura about

Another thumbs up on the Bitter Apple - but the way I found best to use it is this:

Take a rag and soak it with the Bitter Apple. Let the puppy smell it - and then pretty much just put it in his/her mouth. This way they will know that the smell goes with the taste - and will avoid it.

But as noted above - some dogs actually like it. My neighbors have a new Boston Terrier pup that goes around licking it off the furniture. Go figure.

Bitter Apple is safe for most all furniture finishes and fabrics with the exception of lacquer I have found. As with most liquids, lacquer tends to cloud slightly if you put enough on.

Best bet is the above and plenty of chew toys, bones and training crate as chewing is vital.

Ron
RGD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 09:55 AM   #19
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
We have a couple greater swiss mountain dogs.

Love the Alpenzeller dogs. My cousin has a GSMD in Switzerland.

As for the question posted:

-Don't buy a puppy
-Live with it
-Hope they don't chew it
-Work the dog until he's too tired to chew
-Keep the dog out of the room unless you are watching him
Old 10-29-2008, 10:11 AM   #20
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
Love the Alpenzeller dogs. My cousin has a GSMD in Switzerland.

As for the question posted:

-Don't buy a puppy
-Live with it
-Hope they don't chew it
-Work the dog until he's too tired to chew
-Keep the dog out of the room unless you are watching him
uh.... psssst.......

He already got a puppy.......

(goes back to reading the content of the thread)

replicant_argent is offline   Reply With Quote