Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 12-03-2008, 01:51 PM   #1
Heliofire
Ward Photographer

Trading: (14)
Bolivar
Heliofire is on a distinguished road
Default Winter Humidor Humidity?

So as winter temps and humidity begin to set it now I am noticing that my heartfelt beads are in need of more water more often than I remember they needed last winter. We keep the house around 70 degrees but I have noticed that the room humidity is around 35% so I guess that might make the beads dry faster and keep them a couple points below where I am used to seeing the humidity in my cabinet. I just checked the accuracy of both hygrometers that I keep in there (which i do every six months) and they are both still spot on. So I am wondering how many other brothers out there have had to do more work on their humidity in the winter time. As far as I know the humidity beads don't go bad right? If they do how long do they usually last before they need to be replaced? Thanks for any help or stories you guys might have on battling the dry winter humidity.
Heliofire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 01:54 PM   #2
Bubba - NJ
Deep Cherry Finish

First Name: Rolf
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Bubba - NJ is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Winter Humidor Humidity?

It's drier during winter around here so I add water more often .
Bubba - NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 01:56 PM   #3
Heliofire
Ward Photographer

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba - NJ View Post
It's drier during winter around here so I add water more often .
Are you using the humidity beads? and if so how long do you go before you need to re-wet them again?
Old 12-03-2008, 01:57 PM   #4
Drat

I open my desktop way more often that I should be considering I'm not smoking as much because it's freaking cold outside. The result is that my beads have already needed additional water once and are starting to look a little dry again.

From what I've heard and ready, as long as you are using distilled water, your beads should last a few years.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:00 PM   #5
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

As long as you’re using distilled water, the beads should be fine. I also use Heartfelt beads in my humis and I definitely have to tend to them more during the winter. I really don’t open my humis that frequently and I charge the beads every four weeks or so during the winter. The drier air zaps them. I charge them less frequently during the spring and summer. So, no worries….what you’re experiencing is normal.
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 02:07 PM   #6
Heliofire
Ward Photographer

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucla695 View Post
As long as you’re using distilled water, the beads should be fine. I also use Heartfelt beads in my humis and I definitely have to tend to them more during the winter. I really don’t open my humis that frequently and I charge the beads every four weeks or so during the winter. The drier air zaps them. I charge them less frequently during the spring and summer. So, no worries….what you’re experiencing is normal.
Thanks for the input, yeah I always use distilled water on the beads. What's funny and not a winter only related observation, is that I bought the 70% humidity beads but they have alway read around 68% and I know my hygrometers are correct. which is fine with me I would rather have the humidity around 68%. Anyone have that kind of experience with there beads?
Old 12-03-2008, 02:13 PM   #7
Snake Hips
Götterdämmerung

First Name: Tyler
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
Snake Hips will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heliofire View Post
Thanks for the input, yeah I always use distilled water on the beads. What's funny and not a winter only related observation, is that I bought the 70% humidity beads but they have alway read around 68% and I know my hygrometers are correct. which is fine with me I would rather have the humidity around 68%. Anyone have that kind of experience with there beads?
I have 65% beads but rarely see my humidor hit 65%. It hangs out around 62-64%, which is good for me.
Snake Hips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 02:14 PM   #8
Heliofire
Ward Photographer

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Hips View Post
I have 65% beads but rarely see my humidor hit 65%. It hangs out around 62-64%, which is good for me.
So I guess that is just how the works work then. Thanks for your input.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:20 PM   #9
Anthem
Feeling at Home

First Name: Mike
Trading: (18)
Bolivar
Anthem is on a distinguished road

I've switched over to beads (65%) and I find that I'm already having to recharge them more often. The RH is around 35% in the house as well.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 02:08 AM   #10
Good_Stogies_Mon

Quote:
This is interesting, my 65% beads from hearthelt keep my vinotemp about 68% and I keep them pretty dry. I have always wondered if i actually got 70% beads by mistake?
Old 12-08-2008, 02:50 AM   #11
s15driftking
Go Browns!

First Name: Bobby
Trading: (16)
Partagas
s15driftking has a spectacular aura abouts15driftking has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_Stogies_Mon View Post
This is interesting, my 65% beads from hearthelt keep my vinotemp about 68% and I keep them pretty dry. I have always wondered if i actually got 70% beads by mistake?
trade me for my 655!!!!!
Old 12-03-2008, 02:08 PM   #12
zmancbr
CERTIFIED THREAD KILLER!!

First Name: Zach
Trading: (41)
HUpmann
zmancbr has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucla695 View Post
Yup definitely normal. I tend to keep my house a bit colder in the winter and just use blankets if we get cold so it is usually at 67 degrees or maybe 68. The thing I notice most about the winter is my Hygrometers tend to be more accurate which makes me happy!
zmancbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 02:13 PM   #13
Heliofire
Ward Photographer

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmancbr View Post
Yup definitely normal. I tend to keep my house a bit colder in the winter and just use blankets if we get cold so it is usually at 67 degrees or maybe 68. The thing I notice most about the winter is my Hygrometers tend to be more accurate which makes me happy!
What about your humidors do you cover them in blankets too just in case they get to cold.

LOL
Old 12-03-2008, 04:10 PM   #14
acruce
Just killing Time

First Name: Andy
Trading: (1)
Bolivar
acruce is on a distinguished road

Quote:
What about your humidors do you cover them in blankets too just in case they get to cold.

LOL
I do.
Old 12-03-2008, 04:17 PM   #15
Heliofire
Ward Photographer

Bolivar

Quote:

LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by acruce View Post
I do.
I am sure your humidors love you for it.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:08 PM   #16
auburnfan1980

all is lost, i'm afraid. you may have to disperse your stock among us so we can take care of it for you in the meantime...just my

Jason
Old 12-04-2008, 04:29 AM   #17
racer3

It's normal, I used to go crazy in the winter with my humi but it all works out. Just do what your doing and you will be fine.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:02 AM   #18
Cyanide

I am pretty new to this too, but I suspected it was going to happen.

But around here, it went from autumn to winter in one day, yesterday. Until then I was still able to wear shorts out to the car (to go to the gym at 0530 am), and was still well above freezing. Yesterday it went straight to frigid cold, well below freezing.

In that single day, my humi's RH dropped close to 10%, 68-58%. I am currently using straight distilled water.

What you may want to do, is consider looking at the seals on your humi. My humi was hand-made by a dude in Cuba....so it may not seal as good as others. I ran a strip of electrical tape along the inside lip of the lid, and the RH started to climb. The downside of this is that now there will be less air circulation. I am pondering how that is going to affect my cigars in the next weeks to months....

Cheers

Cyanide
Old 12-04-2008, 06:45 AM   #19
WyoBob
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Bob
Trading: (1)
WyoBob will become famous soon enough

I imagine that genuine humidor's are more difficult to maintain than coolers. That's why I use coolers.

I use 1/2 lb. of 65% beads in each 120 quart cooler and set a small bowl of distilled water beside the beads. I no longer spray the beads. (I think they'll last longer, i.e. not crack, that way.) Our basement is 30% and I top off the water bowl every 1-2 weeks, depending on how often I'm in the coolers. Humidity holds at 65%.

WyoBob
WyoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 05:43 AM   #20
goalie204
Have My Own Room

First Name: Myles
Trading: (12)
Bolivar
goalie204 will become famous soon enoughgoalie204 will become famous soon enough

my beads are on the way in the mail, but my humi was 58-59 before i ordered them and was using 2 humidification devices. My ambient humidity of my condo is 20%

Currently i am re-seasoning my humidor because i dont think it got properly stabilized during initial seasoning because of cold/dry winter weather, and my sticks are in tupperware, hope when my puckifier comes it will save the day. Thanks to all who have helped me.

I'm considering puttin the humidor and the room humidifier in a closet in one of my non leaky rooms of my condo to try and help it out. Anyone tried this or have advice, please PM or reply, thanks
goalie204 is offline   Reply With Quote