Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 12-22-2010, 09:46 PM   #1
Devanmc
Have My Own Room

First Name: Devan
Trading: (40)
RyJ Army (Disabled Vet)
Devanmc is a jewel in the roughDevanmc is a jewel in the roughDevanmc is a jewel in the rough
Default Viaje cigars

Im curious, So far i have a love affair with Viaje. Every cigar ive had has been amazing and they are not hard on the wallet compared to alot of others out there. Besides being pretty limited, with small batch releases.

Does anyone have any hate toward viaje? Seems kinda strange to ask, but i cant come up with anything to put in the negative side about viaje
Old 12-22-2010, 10:22 PM   #2
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future
Default Re: Viaje cigars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devanmc View Post
Im curious, So far i have a love affair with Viaje. Every cigar ive had has been amazing and they are not hard on the wallet compared to alot of others out there. Besides being pretty limited, with small batch releases.

Does anyone have any hate toward viaje? Seems kinda strange to ask, but i cant come up with anything to put in the negative side about viaje
Had a 50/50 and a platinum. Didn't impress me much at all.

Got one holiday blend, will see what that does. I have hope from all I've heard.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:46 PM   #3
akumushi
Habanos Apologist

Trading: (11)
LGC
akumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura about

Smoked a 50/50 Red tonight and it was tasty. I had a DES a while back that was too harsh for my taste, but I smoked it right before coming down with a bug so I may have been getting sick and not realized it yet, thus coloring my experience. So far my impression has been that Viajes are a touch harsh for my tastes, but they have good earthy flavors and are quality smokes. If you like full bodied Nicaraguans they are certainly worth a try, and they definitely have a distinctive character as a brand.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:49 PM   #4
auburnfan1980

Devan, I'm curious about your question as well as other cigars that seem to be a hot commodity on this board. At my local shop, I'm the only person who has smoked a Viaje, let alone heard about it. Yet if you logged onto this website as a brand-new cigar smoker, you'd think it was one of the most highly sought after cigars on the market- but in Florence, Birmingham, Huntsville, and Nashville, I have rarely heard any BOTL at B&Ms mention it at all.

There are several other cigars that it seems everyone will jump on the bandwagon with here and it makes me curious as to why. Perhaps it's due to the fact that because of the generosity of the friends we have on here, some have been bombed back and forth with this stick until everyone has tried it and generally enjoyed it. Perhaps this is a case where we may not want to admit it, but our palate for cigars can often be heavily influenced psychologically through the praise of BOTL/SOTLs we sometimes hold in high regard.

In any instance, I thoroughly enjoyed the two I smoked earlier this year and would like it if my local shop carried the line. However...like many other cigars, it's hard to add it to my lineup when I have my standard faves as well as so many other new blends I've yet to try that I have to make time for as well.

I say all that to say this: I don't have anything negative to say about the line, but I sometimes think brands can be fallen in love with or written off based on the consensus of the inmates and how many hundred times you see it appear in the WTB thread.

That's just my and i'm getting so sick of hearing how good Gurkhas are, too! If Tom doesn't stop with his love-affair with Kaisad, I'm gonna swear he's working for them!
Old 12-23-2010, 12:33 AM   #5
akumushi
Habanos Apologist

Trading: (11)
LGC
akumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by auburnfan1980 View Post
Devan, I'm curious about your question as well as other cigars that seem to be a hot commodity on this board. At my local shop, I'm the only person who has smoked a Viaje, let alone heard about it. Yet if you logged onto this website as a brand-new cigar smoker, you'd think it was one of the most highly sought after cigars on the market- but in Florence, Birmingham, Huntsville, and Nashville, I have rarely heard any BOTL at B&Ms mention it at all.

There are several other cigars that it seems everyone will jump on the bandwagon with here and it makes me curious as to why. Perhaps it's due to the fact that because of the generosity of the friends we have on here, some have been bombed back and forth with this stick until everyone has tried it and generally enjoyed it. Perhaps this is a case where we may not want to admit it, but our palate for cigars can often be heavily influenced psychologically through the praise of BOTL/SOTLs we sometimes hold in high regard.

In any instance, I thoroughly enjoyed the two I smoked earlier this year and would like it if my local shop carried the line. However...like many other cigars, it's hard to add it to my lineup when I have my standard faves as well as so many other new blends I've yet to try that I have to make time for as well.

I say all that to say this: I don't have anything negative to say about the line, but I sometimes think brands can be fallen in love with or written off based on the consensus of the inmates and how many hundred times you see it appear in the WTB thread.

That's just my and i'm getting so sick of hearing how good Gurkhas are, too! If Tom doesn't stop with his love-affair with Kaisad, I'm gonna swear he's working for them!
If you log onto a specialty forum of any kind you're not going to find the average, run of the mill consumer, you're going to find the die-hard fans, enthusiasts and connaisseurs, who are going to have a very different take on what is good vs. the average Joe off the street. Perhaps there is a little bit of the hype going on here when something new and good comes out, but in the end if the product sucked I think there would be enough of us that would come out and say, I had it and it sucked. Take any type of product with a vast array of selections like cigars, wine or beer and there are going to be the mass produced popular items that take the lion's share of the market, and then there will be any number of small scale, boutique producers that are lauded and sought after by those in the know.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:35 AM   #6
auburnfan1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by akumushi View Post
If you log onto a specialty forum of any kind you're not going to find the average, run of the mill consumer, you're going to find the die-hard fans, enthusiasts and connaisseurs, who are going to have a very different take on what is good vs. the average Joe off the street. Perhaps there is a little bit of the hype going on here when something new and good comes out, but in the end if the product sucked I think there would be enough of us that would come out and say, I had it and it sucked. Take any type of product with a vast array of selections like cigars, wine or beer and there are going to be the mass produced popular items that take the lion's share of the market, and then there will be any number of small scale, boutique producers that are lauded and sought after by those in the know.
I don't know, Clayton...I ain't no connoisseur, I'm just an average run of the mill consumer from Alabammer who think the finer things in life are buffets and a good bowel movement afterwards. We ain't got much appreciation fer things of this nature in general....I just like them ceegars!
Old 12-23-2010, 08:38 AM   #7
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Sofaman and I smoked an OR Viaje a good while back, or at least I was under the impression it was original release. We both agreed they sucked. The fervor surrounding Viaje is a mystery to me, but it's like a wise man once said; "Smoke what you like, like what you smoke."
Old 12-23-2010, 09:10 AM   #8
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I don't know, Clayton...I ain't no connoisseur, I'm just an average run of the mill Auburn fan from Alabammer who think the finer things in life are buffets and a good bowel movement afterwards. We ain't got much appreciation fer things of this nature in general....I just like them ceegars!
Fixed that for ya.
rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 08:55 AM   #9
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Perhaps this is a case where we may not want to admit it, but our palate for cigars can often be heavily influenced psychologically through the praise of BOTL/SOTLs we sometimes hold in high regard...

I think that first statement is absolutely true, to a point. It's a "first impression" phenomena. I know that personally, even packaging and/or a cigar band makes a big impression on me when I'm looking for something new. An esteemed BOTL's word is definitely going to put me in the right mind to try a new smoke, from a favorable, slightly swayed standpoint. If nothing else, I'll give a cigar a lot more time to develop before I chuck it, just out of respect for my brother's opinion.
Ultimately, a cigar has to stand on it's own two feet. That's why I left the
Gurkha comment in there. All the bling in the world isn't going to save Gurkha, but they have their niche. That niche might be fancy packaging on a lousy cigar sold to guys who haven't had the good fortune to be exposed to something they like better, but it works for Gurkha. Plus their cigars are damned near free on cbid. Plus Bobby likes them, so at least we know one guy smokes them.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:08 AM   #10
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
I think that first statement is absolutely true, to a point. It's a "first impression" phenomena. I know that personally, even packaging and/or a cigar band makes a big impression on me when I'm looking for something new. An esteemed BOTL's word is definitely going to put me in the right mind to try a new smoke, from a favorable, slightly swayed standpoint. If nothing else, I'll give a cigar a lot more time to develop before I chuck it, just out of respect for my brother's opinion.
Ultimately, a cigar has to stand on it's own two feet. That's why I left the
Gurkha comment in there. All the bling in the world isn't going to save Gurkha, but they have their niche. That niche might be fancy packaging on a lousy cigar sold to guys who haven't had the good fortune to be exposed to something they like better, but it works for Gurkha. Plus their cigars are damned near free on cbid. Plus Bobby likes them, so at least we know one guy smokes them.
Couldn't have said it better.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:52 PM   #11
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by akumushi View Post
Smoked a 50/50 Red tonight and it was tasty. I had a DES a while back that was too harsh for my taste, but I smoked it right before coming down with a bug so I may have been getting sick and not realized it yet, thus coloring my experience. So far my impression has been that Viajes are a touch harsh for my tastes, but they have good earthy flavors and are quality smokes. If you like full bodied Nicaraguans they are certainly worth a try, and they definitely have a distinctive character as a brand.
No you're right Clayton the DES is a bit harsh. Probably the only Viaje I've had that was harsh IMO. I still enjoyed it a great deal, nubbed it. Then and again I've only recently hopped over on the CC boat. So far I can say it's been a lot mellower. So I can see why it might effect you a bit more.

Me and Devan we're talking about Viajes, and honestly for the $$ (IMO) it's hard to find better consistency and quality smokes. All of the Viaje's I've had have been burning perfect no touch ups, draw was always perfect got a good amount of smoke. They never went out. (I've found this problem in a few CC"s it's frustrating no doubt) I really cannot say that about any other cigars. I have also never put a Viaje down before reaching 1.5 inches left, think I got rained out once but that's about it. Also it's nice to see that most Viaje's can be had at $5-$10 a piece.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:58 PM   #12
maninblack
Will smoke for food

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (80)
Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold

I have no hate for Viaje. I like to see these small companies get some rep. But before long we'll jump on some other brand I'm sure and ride that bandwagon off into the sunset. Happens every few months. Thats the great thing about cigars. Variety.
Old 12-23-2010, 12:01 AM   #13
auburnfan1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by maninblack View Post
I have no hate for Viaje. I like to see these small companies get some rep. But before long we'll jump on some other brand I'm sure and ride that bandwagon off into the sunset. Happens every few months. Thats the great thing about cigars. Variety.
So true, brother.....and never have we been blessed as we are now with so many blends in the market that are actually really really good, allowing some competition and opportunities for start-up companies to make a splash.
Old 12-23-2010, 12:03 AM   #14
maninblack
Will smoke for food

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (80)
Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
So true, brother.....and never have we been blessed as we are now with so many blends in the market that are actually really really good, allowing some competition and opportunities for start-up companies to make a splash.
Damn straight!
Old 12-23-2010, 02:04 AM   #15
Adriftpanda
Peter's Daddy

First Name: Huy
Trading: (74)
Guantanamera
Adriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud of

Steve (Ratters) loves Viaje. If you guys don't want yours send them to him. Stickers, apparel, cigars, he will take it all.

I actually really do enjoy them. My buddy Mark (NorCalMark) was probably one of the first shops to carry Viaje, so I have been very fortunate to try almost all the new stuff that comes out. They make a good stick, what can I say.
Adriftpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 04:12 AM   #16
Dunkel
Maduro & Oscuro Whore-O

First Name: Doug
Trading: (75)
Dunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really nice

I have smoked almost all the Viaje's out there including the limiteds. IMHO DES and TNT were pretty bad. I loved everything else which includes Satori, Holiday Blend (both releases), Skull & Bones 2010 release, 50/50 Black, Platino, and Oro.
Old 12-23-2010, 04:19 AM   #17
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Oro Is My Favorite So Far, Waiting To Try The 50/50 & Holiday Blends I Have Resting. Platinum Is My Least Fav. DES Tasted Fine To Me, But I Mostly Smoke Strong, Full Bodied Sticks.
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 04:13 AM   #18
Superbad
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bobby
Trading: (53)
PL
Superbad has a spectacular aura aboutSuperbad has a spectacular aura aboutSuperbad has a spectacular aura about

I enjoy Viaje very much. I do get frustrated by the hype around the limited releases. That does not mean I won't try and buy a few limiteds. I just won't go nuts trying to get them.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:07 AM   #19
quantim0
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (20)
quantim0 will become famous soon enough

Have not tried one yet because no one around me carries them. Once I come across a shop (or order from NHC again) I'll probably grab a couple of the standard lines. I agree with Bobby about the LEs. I think that their LEs are way to limited and I have given up on trying to get a hold of them online.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:17 AM   #20
MiamiE
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Erick
Trading: (38)
RA
MiamiE will become famous soon enoughMiamiE will become famous soon enough

I love most Viaje LE's. Their regular blends are OK.
MiamiE is offline   Reply With Quote