Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 01-27-2011, 06:48 PM   #1
jcruse64
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Joe
Trading: (1)
jcruse64 is on a distinguished road
Default Tennessee Titans and Fisher Divorce

Okay, gotta say I didn't see this one coming, after they agreed to play out the last season of his contract, AND Bud agreeing to pull the plug on VY. Interesting though, with 2 coaches leaving for other jobs, and then Fish firing his buddy, after getting him a contract near the end of the season. Didn't really care for Cecil.

But...I had hoped that Bud and Fish would call it quits back in December. I appreciate the 17 years of tenure, and the stability, as well as the good years for the Titans. But the last 5 or 6 seasons...mehhh. 13-3 season gets us a playoff loss. I'd forgotten how long it HAS been since the Titans had a playoff win. The lion's share of playoff wins came in the Superbowl season of '99, saved by the Music City Miracle.

I was getting tired of "dink'n'dunk" offense, relying on a passing offense that centered on tight ends (most of which, since Wychek, had poor hands), and playing a style of ball that was okay with just getting field goals most of the time, and then hanging on for the win in the 2nd half.

It's been time for a change for a while. I wish Fish all the best. I'm just ready for new leadership (including Bud retiring, if we're lucky).

But, why now!!!!!!! Lot's of names that were available a month ago are not around now. I'm not sure who I'd like to see in here. Not Mangini. Not really Cowher or Billick either. Maybe Gruden. I beg him not to call Kiffin!!!!!!!
jcruse64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 06:50 PM   #2
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tennessee Titans and Fisher Divorce

Billick would be a good fit for that club, and Cowher isn't going anywhere.
Maybe I should say Cowher isn't going anywhere unless he can take everyone he wants with him. That's gonna be a tough sell, and I don't think he's all that motivated to coach.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:07 PM   #3
jcruse64
Adjusting to the Life

I don't know; it's just that he was the leader of our mortal enemy for so long, it would seem weird to see him on the Titan sideline .

I actually felt bad for the way Billick got hung out to dry by RayRay, considering how Billick stood by RayRay when his high-profile legal troubles hit.

Whoever takes the job sure won't have to do a lot of housecleaning...if 'Dinger's health does not come back, most of the main assistant coach positions will be vacant. That, and if Bud stands behind his earlier decision to let VY go, we need some QB fill-in (PLEASE tell me Kerry will not be back!!!).

It's going to be interesting to hear what actually happened to precipitate this.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:31 AM   #4
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcruse64 View Post
we need some QB fill-in (PLEASE tell me Kerry will not be back!!!).
There's a need for starting qb's in a lot of cities. I bet we'll see a lot of dealing going on in the off-season.
That Flynn kid in Green Bay looks like a mega-stud. I'd like to see him in Pittsburgh. It'd be a shame to see him languish behind Ben, but with Charlie retiring, and Dixon not developing, and Byron getting old, we need a real arm to step in when Ben gets hurt. And the way he plays ball, that could be any minute.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:24 PM   #5
chand
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Damian
Trading: (22)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
chand will become famous soon enough

I was sure they were staying together for the kids. I figured it was Fisher or VY not Fisher and VY.What I can't believe is how he managed to last 16 years!
chand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 08:02 AM   #6
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Carolina needs a QB too. Not much to choose from this year. Too many has beens available and not much in the draft that would fit a pro-style offense. Good luck with finding a good coach and QB all at once.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 08:07 AM   #7
Noodles
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (2)
HUpmann
Noodles is on a distinguished road

Fisher's coming to Philly to be a DC for two years then take over as HC when Reid move upstairs.

Please let this happen
Noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 12:35 PM   #8
yourchoice
Down the stretch

First Name: Joel
Trading: (36)
Cohiba
yourchoice has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonggoy View Post
Fisher's coming to Philly to be a DC for two years then take over as HC when Reid move upstairs.

Please let this happen
Not a chance! (IMO)
yourchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:03 PM   #9
jcruse64
Adjusting to the Life

My wife's cousin is a Titan hater (BIG Lions fan), so he texts me that he hears that Chilly is on his way to Nashville. Not EVEN funny! 'Course, even worse than that would be Matt Millen coming to town.

I don't care who they get, if there's not a work stoppage, 2011 is not going to be a banner season for the Titans, as it stands now.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:14 AM   #10
Powers
Swamp Ash member in exile

First Name: Michael
Trading: (17)
Bolivar
Powers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to all

I'm a Braves fan, a Titans fan and a Gator fan.

What am I gonna do next year with no Bobby Cox, no Jeff Fisher and no Urban Meyer!!
Its the coaching apocalypse for my sports teams
Old 01-28-2011, 11:12 AM   #11
Wanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFPowersmoker320 View Post
I'm a Braves fan, a Titans fan and a Gator fan.

What am I gonna do next year with no Bobby Cox, no Jeff Fisher and no Urban Meyer!!
Its the coaching apocalypse for my sports teams
Might as well just end it now, Mike.

Could be worse, though...you could be a Twins, Vikings, and Gophers fan...wait...that's me.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:17 AM   #12
Powers
Swamp Ash member in exile

First Name: Michael
Trading: (17)
Bolivar
Powers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanger View Post
Might as well just end it now, Mike.

Could be worse, though...you could be a Twins, Vikings, and Gophers fan...wait...that's me.
Appreciate the empathy brother. Let's try to remain positive!