Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 11-27-2010, 12:33 PM   #1
jonan

Default traveling with lighters...

i ran a search and the only thread that popped up was a bit old...has anyone traveled recently with a higher end softflame lighter that was NOT a bic...i know the TSA website says that "common" "soft flame" lighters are ok...

problem is, i don't want my st dupont line 2 to get confiscated...because it isn't "common" to the TSA agent...
Old 11-27-2010, 12:37 PM   #2
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: traveling with lighters...

Get a TSA approved case and pack it in your checked luggage. Works for me all the time.
Old 11-27-2010, 12:39 PM   #3
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

You could always mail your ST Dupont lighter to your destination insured. Or risk a less costly lighter, maybe a decent $15-$25 Xikar. For the cost of your Dupont lighter I'm not sure I'd ever feel comfortable taking that one out of the house.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 12:47 PM   #4
jonan

ugghh, i bring it with me everywhere i go...so i feel naked without it...guess i'll just have to buy a box of cedar matches when get to CA...

i read on a few other sites that people have had their lighters stolen from them by TSA agents that were stored in approved TSA cases...ahh well, guess it's not worth the risk...
Old 11-27-2010, 12:49 PM   #5
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonan View Post
ugghh, i bring it with me everywhere i go...so i feel naked without it...guess i'll just have to buy a box of cedar matches when get to CA...

i read on a few other sites that people have had their lighters stolen from them by TSA agents that were stored in approved TSA cases...ahh well, guess it's not worth the risk...
FAA regulations say that "torch" lighters cannot be in carried bags..but have had no problem with them being in my checked luggage. Another cheap alternative is to buy a
$ 2.88 Ronson jetlite...that way if they take it, you're not out all that much.
Old 11-27-2010, 12:52 PM   #6
jonan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
FAA regulations say that "torch" lighters cannot be in carried bags..but have had no problem with them being in my checked luggage. Another cheap alternative is to buy a
$ 2.88 Ronson jetlite...that way if they take it, you're not out all that much.
that's the thing, i travel light and never check bags so i'd be carrying it on...but even the TSA website states that the TSA regulations themselves are open to interpretation by the TSA agents...so items on the approved list can still be confiscated if they deem the item dangerous...
Old 11-27-2010, 12:56 PM   #7
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Quote:
that's the thing, i travel light and never check bags so i'd be carrying it on...but even the TSA website states that the TSA regulations themselves are open to interpretation by the TSA agents...so items on the approved list can still be confiscated if they see something they want...
Fixed it for ya.
Old 11-27-2010, 12:59 PM   #8
jonan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post
Fixed it for ya.
hhaha, so true it's terrible...
Old 11-28-2010, 09:02 AM   #9
captain53
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (3)
captain53 will become famous soon enough

Quote:

When you go thru a Rapid Scan you will be naked so might as well leave your lighter at home and get used to the feeling.
captain53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 12:01 PM   #10
cmitch
Heads up get down

First Name: Clayton
Trading: (25)
Montecristo
cmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nice

I had a buddy at the cigar shop tell us he had his $100 lighter confiscated in Nashville. Best thing to do is don't travel with them.
Old 11-27-2010, 12:48 PM   #11
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

+1 for what Mac posted however, every airport is different. Some will let all lighters through, some none. It's a messed up system.

I wouldn't risk it with that lighter.
Old 11-27-2010, 12:50 PM   #12
jonan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post
+1 for what Mac posted. Every airport is different. Some will let all lighters through, some none. It's a messed up system.

I wouldn't risk it with that lighter.
that's what irks me, but i have a feeling they'd definitely confiscate it, since i plan on opting out of the digital strip search...
Old 11-27-2010, 01:33 PM   #13
Stinky
Join CigarRights.org NOW!

First Name: Stinky
Trading: (1)
Punch
Stinky will become famous soon enoughStinky will become famous soon enough
Thumbs down Re: traveling with FANCY SMANCY lighters...

First let me say:

YOU ARE WAY TOO ATTACHED TO YOUR FANCY SMANCY LIGHTER! ! !

Now that I've given you the wake-up slap. Here's some experience from my travels.

TSA stole one of my old favorites (an engraved lighter) on a trip to Jamaica. What happened was. . . we were scrambling off to the airport and I didn't realize my torch lighter was in my pocket! So, I just unzipped the luggage and dropped it in. Never saw it again. I suspect Continental Airlines or TSA employees just took it. BTW: if they search (roust) your luggage, they are supposed to put an official note inside. I've found those notes on a couple occasions (and they missed the lighters in the Dopp Kit!!) . . . but, there was no TSA note when they stole my lighter.

SUGGESTION:
Get one of the TSA "approved" lighter cases and pack it in your checked luggage. Or, do what I've done since 2001. . . just put the torch lighter(s) in the Dopp Kit with all the shaving things, cigar-cutters, phone charger, fingernail clippers, etc. and put it inside your checked-luggage. Never had a problem with that.

Disclaimer:
There are NO guarantees! ! ! Remember; the TSA are a bunch of sheep managed and supervised by psychotic losers on big ego trips! TSA is just as corrupt as any government agency anywhere. JMHO. No matter how you transport or ship your torch lighter, you run some risks.

Promoting the Enjoyment of Fine Cigars!
Stinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 07:13 PM   #14
poker
1:11

First Name: Kelly
Trading: (7)
Cohiba
poker has disabled reputation
Default Re: traveling with FANCY SMANCY lighters...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky View Post
First let me say:

YOU ARE WAY TOO ATTACHED TO YOUR FANCY SMANCY LIGHTER! ! !
I am very attached to my fancy smancy Dupont Ligne 2's.

Cigar Asylum: A cigar board birthed without agendas, without profiting, and without advertisements. Amor puro

Character is what you do when no one is watching
poker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 08:50 PM   #15
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by poker View Post
I am very attached to my fancy smancy Dupont Ligne 2's.
Old 11-28-2010, 02:39 AM   #16
14holestogie
Serial banter killer

First Name: Tim
Trading: (52)
Partagas
14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky View Post
TSA stole one of my old favorites (an engraved lighter) on a trip to Jamaica. What happened was. . . we were scrambling off to the airport and I didn't realize my torch lighter was in my pocket! So, I just unzipped the luggage and dropped it in. Never saw it again. I suspect Continental Airlines or TSA employees just took it. BTW: if they search (roust) your luggage, they are supposed to put an official note inside. I've found those notes on a couple occasions (and they missed the lighters in the Dopp Kit!!) . . . but, there was no TSA note when they stole my lighter.

SUGGESTION:
Get one of the TSA "approved" lighter cases and pack it in your checked luggage. Or, do what I've done since 2001. . . just put the torch lighter(s) in the Dopp Kit with all the shaving things, cigar-cutters, phone charger, fingernail clippers, etc. and put it inside your checked-luggage. Never had a problem with that.

Disclaimer:
There are NO guarantees! ! ! Remember; the TSA are a bunch of sheep managed and supervised by psychotic losers on big ego trips! TSA is just as corrupt as any government agency anywhere. JMHO. No matter how you transport or ship your torch lighter, you run some risks.
Just so you are aware, all "torch" lighters are still banned from air travel, no matter how they are packaged in checked or carry-on luggage. I've had luck transporting them both in the "egg" or buried in my golf bag, but I wouldn't try anything you're real attached to. Can't fault TSA for following what seems to be a pretty black and white rule.
Old 11-28-2010, 08:59 AM   #17
captain53
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (3)
captain53 will become famous soon enough

Best bet these days is don't travel via Commercial Air Carrier but if you must then just don't take anything - so much B.S. Just like someone mentioned the rules are different at every airport and all subject to interpretation.

For sure don't take anything of more value than you are willing to throw away at the airport!
captain53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 03:11 PM   #18
jonan

i have an excuse though, because it was a gift...i'm more attached to a cheap .50 cent led flashlight that i got from a cousin for xmas who knows i love flashlights than some of the more expensive surefires i've bought for myself hehe...

i'm just like that when it comes to gifts...
Old 11-27-2010, 07:41 PM   #19
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

The Dupont lighters....people really pay the $800-$1000? Or is there a place to get them cheaper? If so whats the deal with them, I've held one before they are nice but wow they are pricey.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 12:18 PM   #20
Stinky
Join CigarRights.org NOW!

First Name: Stinky
Trading: (1)
Punch
Stinky will become famous soon enoughStinky will become famous soon enough

I've suggested the local B&M's promote a Lighter Rental program for visitors. Deposit equal to full price. . . Rental only $1.00 per day. Return to store or send back by mail. . . still a new way to draw out-of-town customers.

Or, just sell some really cheap torch lighters. One local shop had a clearance on torches for $1.50! ! ! FWIW: when we travel, I can always find a cheap torch for $5 to $12. . .

REMEMBER:
Taking torch lighters on a commercial airline is risky. You're a big boy. . . make your own decision.

Promoting the Enjoyment of Fine Cigars!
Stinky is offline   Reply With Quote