Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 09-22-2011, 10:00 PM   #1
PindarsLight

Default Packs or Boxes?

I smoke but not often enough I don't think to make a huge coolidor or get multiple humidors. I was wondering what your thoughts are on a guy on a budget (wife and kids) This isn't my hobby nor something I think most of my money will go to. Should I just get like a travel humidor and by 5 packs? or should I get a quality humidor that holds 40 cigars and call it gravy?

I love smoking cigars and I enjoyed everyone of them I had on my deployments and stuff and I want to continue to smoke, just not sure how I should go about it
Old 09-22-2011, 10:41 PM   #2
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation
Default Re: Packs or Boxes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PindarsLight View Post
I smoke but not often enough I don't think to make a huge coolidor or get multiple humidors. I was wondering what your thoughts are on a guy on a budget (wife and kids) This isn't my hobby nor something I think most of my money will go to. Should I just get like a travel humidor and by 5 packs? or should I get a quality humidor that holds 40 cigars and call it gravy?

I love smoking cigars and I enjoyed everyone of them I had on my deployments and stuff and I want to continue to smoke, just not sure how I should go about it

I think you should get a 150 count and call it George.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:49 PM   #3
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

Get a cooler and call it Tim because we all sounded like you at one point or another and than we all eventually go slip sliding away down the slope and out grow our realistic and practical smaller humidors into larger and multiple humidors. If you would like to keep your inventory down to a practical 5 to 10 sticks at a clip my only advice is to delete this place from your memory and your internet history and forget you ever stumbled upon this place as we are all very bad influences on each other.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:59 PM   #4
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Yup...think about the biggest humidor you might need....and multiply that times 3.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 12:47 AM   #5
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Yup...think about the biggest humidor you might need....and multiply that times 3.
This
Old 09-23-2011, 02:35 AM   #6
jdakine
Sawadee

First Name: Jay
Trading: (34)
Partagas
jdakine has a spectacular aura aboutjdakine has a spectacular aura aboutjdakine has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Agree, however this math word problem has not worked for me. Started off on track, however it has grown and i'm not slipping down the slop, i'm flying down it Just added a 100 qt cooler to the collection.

BTW: My father was stationed at Ft Riley in the early 60's, was born there.

Good luck, God Bless
Old 09-23-2011, 12:52 AM   #7
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Coolidors are cheaper than wooden desktops may as well get a nice 70 Quart and toss a pound of beads in it.
Old 09-23-2011, 05:21 AM   #8
thechrisdotcom

Trading: (2)
thechrisdotcom has disabled reputation

If you don't find yourself smoking a lot, why not get a nice little humidor? 40ct would be good enough.

Or you could just get a jar and put a humidifier in it. Though I prefer to lay my cigars down rather than having them stand on end.
thechrisdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 05:43 AM   #9
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Buy A Large Tupperware Container & Put One 65% Boveda Pack In It Every 3 Months. My Co-Workers Have Been Using These For Years. Cheap As Dirt & Works Well!
Here's A Link: http://www.bovedadirect.com/
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:10 AM   #10
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by longknocker View Post
Buy A Large Tupperware Container & Put One 65% Boveda Pack In It Every 3 Months. My Co-Workers Have Been Using These For Years. Cheap As Dirt & Works Well!
Yup!
Old 09-23-2011, 09:27 AM   #11
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm with Greg, 100%.
A tupperware container with a Boveda pack is going to keep your cigars in perfect shape. Odds are that a cheap desktop will not.
If you find that this is something that you'll enjoy down the road and want a nice desktop humidor, you can start saving and buy one that will actually work. You can even modify a cheapo and make it seal well enough to keep your smokes in a nice, airtight, humidity controlled environment, which is what you're after with a humidor.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:55 AM   #12
N2 GOLD
MIND OVER MATTER...

First Name: RICO
Trading: (1)
SCdlH
N2 GOLD will become famous soon enoughN2 GOLD will become famous soon enough

Just get yourself a nice quality humidor that can hold atleast 50 count. Once you took that first hit of a cigar you were hooked for LIFE. No stopping or turning back now. Accept it & come to terms with it. Just enjoy the KICK A$$ ride. All of us here started with just one cigar & look at us now. Everyone starts with a few sticks then come the 5ers, small humi, med humi & then before you know it you get a "CABINET"
Old 09-23-2011, 11:01 AM   #13
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2 GOLD View Post
Just get yourself a nice quality humidor that can hold atleast 50 count. Once you took that first hit of a cigar you were hooked for LIFE. No stopping or turning back now. Accept it & come to terms with it. Just enjoy the KICK A$$ ride. All of us here started with just one cigar & look at us now. Everyone starts with a few sticks then come the 5ers, small humi, med humi & then before you know it you get a "CABINET"
I bought a larger cooler last month (maybe 2 months ago). The large cooler is now almost full, and I have a box and some singles on the way. But that shouldn't take up too much room...

The smaller cooler is now nicely packed with flavored sticks for the gf (thanks again, ninja).
Old 09-23-2011, 11:11 AM   #14
Ashcan Bill
Ol' Dude

Trading: (6)
Partagas
Ashcan Bill has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
You should be fine. Don't let these reprobates affect your buying decisions. THERE ARE people in the world who can
buy a few cigars, keep them in proper conditions and enjoy this endeavor without having to own everything. I think
based on the way you describe your situation, it would be best if you did exactly what you seem intent on doing.
Enjoy it as a dalliance and leave it at that. A 50-100 ct. humidor would be good for you. However, I would suggest
trying to find a good one or having one made by Waxing Moon that would hold really good humidity. A 50 dollar
humidor is going to keep smokes like a 50 dollar humidor. If all you want is a box, no trays or frills, you should be
able to get something small AND custom for a reasonable rate.
Quote:
Thanks guy I'm pretty glad I got referred to such a professional and honest forum not to many of these anymore. I like cigars but as I said I wanna keep it at a minium I'm a very simplistic individual so the 50 count is right up my alley. Thanks again gents
This. I used a good quality 50 count cherry desktop for many years as my sole unit for keeping cigars, and was very happy. Admittedly I've expanded my storage capacity a bit since then, but I still use and place a high sentimental value on my 50 count. My only advice would be to do what Brad suggests and purchase a quality humidor that you can use for the next fifty years.
Ashcan Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 06:10 PM   #15
ckay
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
ckay is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Start here. Inexpensive, and gets the job done.
ckay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:34 PM   #16
PindarsLight

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckay View Post
Start here. Inexpensive, and gets the job done.
does it matter which packet I get? and should I get a digital read out or an analog to go with it?

How large should I go? Should I get it big enough to put dividers in it? What dividers are the best to use?

Is there a particular Tupperware that better then another?
Old 09-25-2011, 07:17 AM   #17
ckay
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
ckay is on a distinguished road

Quote:
does it matter which packet I get? and should I get a digital read out or an analog to go with it?

How large should I go? Should I get it big enough to put dividers in it? What dividers are the best to use?

Any Tupperware that utilizes a gasket will work fine. A large 65% humipack is perfect.

As far as dividers, they aren't necessary. If you want to use them, go to your B&M and see if they will give you empty boxes. More times than not they are lined with thin sheets of cedar.

As far as a hygrometer get a digital unit and calibrate it. To do so, you just need to throw it in the Tupperware with your hydration packet and see if they coincide after a day. If not, you have your standard error.

Lastly all you need is three Boveda packs to rotate as you can recharge these.
ckay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 09:15 AM   #18
Ashcan Bill
Ol' Dude

Trading: (6)
Partagas
Ashcan Bill has disabled reputation

Quote:

I got tired of trying to figure out where to put the odd bundle I'd pick up. Seems like I was always trying to cram them in here or there. I finally bought one of these. I keep a small container of beads in it and with the airtight silicone seal it sports, I can pretty much forget about it for long periods of time (still have a couple JLP bundles in it). It holds around six bundles, with room left over.

Linky
Ashcan Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 11:20 PM   #19
ysr_racer

Quote:
Agreed, I have a few myself.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:42 AM   #20
PindarsLight

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
Agreed, I have a few myself.
So I'm guessing you have alot considering you may have a different brand in each container?