Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 11-07-2010, 05:40 AM   #1
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough
Default Anyone ever shop for hardwood online?

I gave a deposit for my flooring installer last night and now all I need to do is find what hardwood I want to use. I'm looking for around 1600 sq ft, so I stand to save a lot of money buying wholesale. Just wondering if anyone has had a good/bad experience and good pricing with anyone Thanks.
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 07:27 AM   #2
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Anyone ever shop for hardwood online?

Have you checked out Lumber Liquidators? There's a store in your neck of the woods. I bought my laminate flooring from them when I redid my kitchen. At the time, they had the best price/selection.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:54 AM   #3
floydpink
crazy diamond

First Name: Pete
Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation

Lumber Liquidators is good.

I put in Pergo a few years ago and was shopping around and stopped by Ifloors to compare their prices and materials before dropping 12 grande.

They didn't carry Pergo but swore their stuff that is made in China was better.

They had a great financing deal and ran my credit to see if I qualified. This was done by a very pushy salesperson.

Like a fool, I waited until AFTER I shopped to research the consumer reports and was horrified and the reviews on their company and product.

Before I knew it, I had a $10,000 line of credit opened and floors ordered without me ever signing a contract.

A few threatening emails to their corporate offices resolved that problem and I ended up using Lowe's.

In the end, I paid more but had a warranty for a long time and a reputable company putting in my floors which are awesome. I am convinced you need to go with a top quality brand when making this type of investment and Pergo fits that bill for me.

I went with laminate due to the fact that I have a dog and kid and it is supposedly much less succeptible to scratches and replacing sections is easy if they get damaged..
Old 11-07-2010, 11:59 AM   #4
forgop
Not a puffer

forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydpink View Post
Lumber Liquidators is good.

I put in Pergo a few years ago and was shopping around and stopped by Ifloors to compare their prices and materials before dropping 12 grande.

They didn't carry Pergo but swore their stuff that is made in China was better.

They had a great financing deal and ran my credit to see if I qualified. This was done by a very pushy salesperson.

Like a fool, I waited until AFTER I shopped to research the consumer reports and was horrified and the reviews on their company and product.

Before I knew it, I had a $10,000 line of credit opened and floors ordered without me ever signing a contract.

A few threatening emails to their corporate offices resolved that problem and I ended up using Lowe's.

In the end, I paid more but had a warranty for a long time and a reputable company putting in my floors which are awesome. I am convinced you need to go with a top quality brand when making this type of investment and Pergo fits that bill for me.

I went with laminate due to the fact that I have a dog and kid and it is supposedly much less succeptible to scratches and replacing sections is easy if they get damaged..
Thanks for the info. Headed to the local Lumber Liquidators in a moment. I looked at the ifloor.com site and saw some stuff I liked, but I'm not sure that's the kind of outfit I want to mess with.

Not sure that Lowes will be as competitive, but I do have a 10% off coupon, so I'll see what I can work out.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:15 AM   #5
jmsremax
Yet another Masshole

First Name: Jon
Trading: (19)
jmsremax will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
Have you checked out Lumber Liquidators?
My folks did most of their house with hardwood from LL. I helped them with one room and I must say I was very impressed with the quality.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:38 AM   #6
Gonesledn
making trails

First Name: Wes
Trading: (31)
Gonesledn will become famous soon enough

i am a florring installer, and i personally use Lumber Liquidators. prices are good, and their product is top notch.

the Bellawood is an excellent choice for a good price. 50 year finish warranty.

what is your installer charging you per foot to install? (if you dont mind me asking)

wes

here is a tiger stripe bamboo i did for a lady just north of you. she found the material online, i could ask her where if your interested.

Last edited by Gonesledn; 11-07-2010 at 09:49 AM. Reason: add pic
Gonesledn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:29 AM   #7
forgop
Not a puffer

My entire project is $10,500 for 1800 sq ft of hardwood, 225 sq ft of tile, and gutting my old shower and building out a beautiful doorless system with recessed shelves. He's not the cheapest but he's not the most expensive and he's a perfectionist at what he does.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:15 PM   #8
hscmit
Have My Own Room

First Name: James
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
hscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura about

Wes that floor looks great
hscmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 12:24 PM   #9
docdoty
Cigars & Guns...what else

First Name: Justin
Trading: (8)
RA AirForce
docdoty is on a distinguished road

I agree with the guys lumber liquidators is a very good place to go. What kind and size of tile are you using.
Old 11-07-2010, 04:30 PM   #10
forgop
Not a puffer

I went to Lumber Liquidators and wasn't overly impressed. There's a local wholesaler with more of closeout type of merchandise and to me had a better price on 5" white ash for 3/4" solid that I could find for the price at Lumber Liquidators. This is what I found that I really liked.

It's nonmally $6+/ft and they have it for $4.79. Trying to get them down to $4.49/ft for 1800 ft. 35 year warranty. For Lumber Liquidators, looking at 3/4" and 5" select ash, their lowest price was $0.80/ft more than my worst case scenario.

It's gonna be quite a transformation getting 2000 sq ft of new flooring, a complete shower makeover, and a built-in wall entertainment center in our great room.
Old 11-07-2010, 04:39 PM   #11
Gonesledn
making trails

please post pics along the way. i love to see works in progress
Old 11-07-2010, 05:00 PM   #12
forgop
Not a puffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonesledn View Post
please post pics along the way. i love to see works in progress
Will do...I'm really excited about all of this. Most of what is coming out is carpet and being replaced with hardwood. I have some laminate that was laid prior to my purchase that I just don't really care for. My son's room is being converted from carpet to laminate coming out of the kitchen as we need a solution to deal with the messes he makes. He's 3 years old with autism and let's just say it'll be easier to clean up messes he makes. Once we get past this stage, we'll go to something else.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:12 PM   #13
mmblz

Trading: (3)
Partagas
mmblz has disabled reputation

we decided on mesquite, and found a place in texas that shipped to us.

beautiful wood, and doesn't move whatsoever over radiant heat...

Old 11-07-2010, 07:59 PM   #14
forgop
Not a puffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmblz View Post
we decided on mesquite, and found a place in texas that shipped to us.

beautiful wood, and doesn't move whatsoever over radiant heat...

Looks nice. I like a darker grain than I've picked out, but I need to go with something lighter to provide more contrast between my kitchen/built-in cabinets. I'm afraid that going with more of a medium finish would make the floors/cabinets blend in too much together.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:54 PM   #15
forgop
Not a puffer

I picked up the 5" white ash for my great room. The place I got it is getting a visit from the same manufacturer and they have some various stuff that's closeout/overstocks that they're going to see what kind of deal they can work out for me in the 1400 sq ft range. If we don't workout something there, I think we'll go with the Bellawood 5" red oak as shown in this picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bellawood.jpg (74.7 KB, 231 views)
Old 11-09-2010, 08:36 PM   #16
forgop
Not a puffer

I stopped over at LL today and the guy working there was a complete idiot. In order to get 1600 ft of ANYTHING, he said it would be 2+ weeks. He was so helpful to suggest that we could round up inventory at other stores and charge me the freight to boot. No thanks.

Went and found the same thing at another local store that I already purchased at $4.79/ft and their sticker was at $5.75/ft. Got them down to $4.95/ft ad they threw in a 6' piece of stair nose as well.

Nothing better than walking around on 2000 sq ft of plywood, huh? Oh well, in less than 2 weeks, it'll all be like this.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:08 PM   #17
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Heh, heh, he said "hard wood" heh...
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 06:40 PM   #18
forgop
Not a puffer

Here are a couple of pics for the great room. On the right side, there was a closet that I'm converting into a recessed/built-in entertainment center that will house the 60" tv and front/center channel speakers. On the left of the closet will be additional shelving for audio components, subwoofer, etc. Electrician is coming over in a week to relocate the ATT Uverse stuff currently on the floor to the shelving to free all of that up. Once that is moved, the sectional will move to that corner.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0348.jpg (96.9 KB, 235 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0349.jpg (95.4 KB, 229 views)
Old 11-12-2010, 06:20 PM   #19
Gonesledn
making trails

looking good! i do like the look of the wider planks, i have to say.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:53 PM   #20
forgop
Not a puffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonesledn View Post
looking good! i do like the look of the wider planks, i have to say.
Yeah, I like the 5" ash. They also offered a 3-4-5 pattern, but opted for the 5" alone instead. Felt if I went with the 3-4-5, I'd most likely end up with 3-4" planks.

Not to shabby for less than $5/ft I think. 1610 sq ft due in on Tuesday and hoping it'll all be down in a a week or so.