Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 04-10-2010, 06:17 PM   #1
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough
Default Are you addicted to cigars?

Just curious because my body doesn't crave cigars the way a cigarette smoker craves a cigarette. Is a cigar much more addictive if you enhale?
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 06:22 PM   #2
Ratters
Have My Own Room

Trading: (2)
Ratters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Are you addicted to cigars?

I'm addicted in the sense that if I had to take a two week break on smoking it would be hard and really suck. But I'll go two or three days without one and there's no physical effect. I usually smoke 2-3 a day, and 4-8 at events or herfs. And I don't think you need to inhale, you get plenty of nicotine from just puffing. But I think cigar addiction is more of a mental thing than a physical one.
Ratters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 06:43 PM   #3
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratters View Post
I'm addicted in the sense that if I had to take a two week break on smoking it would be hard and really suck. But I'll go two or three days without one and there's no physical effect. I usually smoke 2-3 a day, and 4-8 at events or herfs. And I don't think you need to inhale, you get plenty of nicotine from just puffing. But I think cigar addiction is more of a mental thing than a physical one.
I would have to totally agree.
Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 06:46 PM   #4
tomc3084
Feeling at Home

First Name: Tom
Trading: (26)
tomc3084 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre3239 View Post
I would have to totally agree.
Also totally agree........
tomc3084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 06:51 PM   #5
Stevez
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Steve
Trading: (7)
HUpmann
Stevez will become famous soon enough

As a 20 year cigarette smoker, then a cigar smoker, they are quite different. I would really miss not having a cigar for sure and enjoy 3 - 4 per day now. I don't crave cigars the way I did cigs. I had to have a cig first thing in the morning. I think the cigar desire is much more mental, although I agree there are physical addiction attributes.
Stevez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:17 AM   #6
newlifetaxidermy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevez View Post
As a 20 year cigarette smoker, then a cigar smoker, they are quite different. I would really miss not having a cigar for sure and enjoy 3 - 4 per day now. I don't crave cigars the way I did cigs. I had to have a cig first thing in the morning. I think the cigar desire is much more mental, although I agree there are physical addiction attributes.
Same story here. When I was a cigarette smoker, I would smoke in the cold, rain, etc and when I was dead dog sick. Since I only smoke cigars now, I will not sit outside in cold or rainy weather to smoke and I can go well over a week if I'm sick without smoking. Do I still want one, sure...but not to the point of where I get nervous, on edge, "antsy", short tempered, or any of the other feelings I would experience if I didn't smoke a cigarette.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:45 AM   #7
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevez View Post
I am with not-so-stupid on this one.
Some of it sounds good to me. But as a former smoker for SOME time, I KNOW what nicotine addiction
is like. The only problem you ever run into is with know-it-alls, in my case my mother, a dear woman
and a nurse, who believes everything she reads by do-good, best-intentioned family practitioners with no
knowledge of oncology, but who love to get paid to write articles for Parade newspaper insert mags
about how bad cigar smoking is for you and how it is as addictive as cigarettes, and it makes you go
blind and impotent, etc.

Just insert your personal busybody in place of my mother and you will get an earful of all this valuable
health info theyuncovered. Probably in a fortune cookie. You can REALLY want a cigar, but you will
not likely become an abrasive, jittery @$$}{)Le for one. You get nicotine, yes, and I know this because
I often use a cigar to get over quitting withdrawals with some success.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 10:02 PM   #8
Stinky
Join CigarRights.org NOW!

First Name: Stinky
Trading: (1)
Punch
Stinky will become famous soon enoughStinky will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratters View Post
I Also Agree.

As you know, cigar tobacco is the only tobacco that is fermented. Numerous books and articles on the subject of curing and fermenting cigar tobacco explain what happens to the leaf. The fermentation process is sometimes referred to as "sweating" the leaf. Among other things, ammonia is sweated out of the leaf as well as reducing nicotine content. Many people don't realize that cigar tobacco is actually quite low in nicotine.

Promoting the Enjoyment of Fine Cigars!
Stinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 06:47 PM   #9
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

too
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 06:51 PM   #10
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

I've yet to get addicted to cigars. Cigarettes on the other hand...

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 07:40 PM   #11
bigpedunn
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Patrick
Trading: (0)
Montecristo
bigpedunn is on a distinguished road

Just went 2 weeks without one cause the weather was so bad in nebraska no problems.
bigpedunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 07:58 PM   #12
maninblack
Will smoke for food

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (80)
Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold

I wouldn't say I'm addicted but I crave one after a few days, but if the weather is bad or I'm busy, I have no problem going for a week or two without one. But this time of year, when the temps are hitting the 70's and the sun is out, I gotta go sit in the hammock and enjoy a nice big churchill.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:28 AM   #13
bookman

Quote:
Originally Posted by maninblack View Post
I wouldn't say I'm addicted but I crave one after a few days, but if the weather is bad or I'm busy, I have no problem going for a week or two without one. But this time of year, when the temps are hitting the 70's and the sun is out, I gotta go sit in the hammock and enjoy a nice big churchill.
That's what she said.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:43 PM   #14
1badhog07
Still Watching My Back

First Name: gustavo
Trading: (2)
HdM
1badhog07 is on a distinguished road

The one thing for sure is im addicted to buying them..
Old 04-10-2010, 08:44 PM   #15
pitbulljimmy

I like 'em a lot, but I'm not addicted to 'em. I was addicted to cigarettes for 13 or 14 years. The cigars are entirely different. I only smoke about 1 a day unless it's a herf, then I may have 2 or 3.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:54 PM   #16
sikk50
Just Bored Really...

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (13)
LGC
sikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of light

Your question needs clearification IMO.

Physicaly: No, I can stop with out any nicotine withdrawl symptoms.
Mentaly: Sure. In that if I'm having a horrible day, depressed, or anxious the only thing on my mind is wanting to lose my thoughts in a cloud of smoke.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:07 PM   #17
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

I am not addicted to them.
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 09:17 PM   #18
stogiereport

Addicted physically = NO

Addicted Mentally = YES

When I can't smoke cigars I find my self reading reviews and shopping for cigars.

Probably why I created my website:

STOGIE REPORT

If your like me you'll love it.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:38 PM   #19
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

I refuse to reply to this question as I plea the fifth at the advice of my counsel, who also smokes lots of cigars.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:50 PM   #20
Ashcan Bill
Ol' Dude

First Name: Bill
Trading: (6)
Partagas
Ashcan Bill has disabled reputation

No. I smoked cigs for over thirty years and I think I have a pretty fair understanding as to what addiction is all about.

My cigars aren't even in the running. I haven't even had a cigar today, though I usually do smoke one or two a day. Just haven't had the time or opportunity today - no biggie. With cigarettes, I couldn't wake up and go a few hours without needing one. If I ran out, all I could think about was a trip to the liquor store to get another pack. Quitting cigs was tough.

Cigars I enjoy, but on my terms. Cigarettes were a desperate craving.
Ashcan Bill is offline   Reply With Quote