Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 03-01-2010, 11:03 AM   #1
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough
Default 2 Puppies @ Once?

So after the loss of my dog Scout, I have started a peripheral search for another.... Always have had/will have, a dog in the house....

Anyway, we talked numerous times about getting Scout a friend to have around. I looked a bit, but always hesitated related to having to go through the training process ALL OVER AGAIN.....

Now I wonder...... What if I did it.... What if I picked up 2 dogs....???

Anyone here done it? Would you advise against it? Thoughts?
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:22 AM   #2
68TriShield
Got Torque?

First Name: Dave
Trading: (40)
HUpmann
68TriShield has disabled reputation
Default Re: 2 Puppies @ Once?

We got two Dalmation pups at one time.
We would do it again in a heartbeat,they keep each other company.
68TriShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:22 AM   #3
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

It's just as easy to train two at once as it is one, but it's a lot easier to train a new dog with an old dog.
If you're talking about little dogs, I'd say go for it, especially if you think you'll enjoy them. If they're big dogs, I'd train one first and add a puppy in a couple years. Big dogs tend to get big and dumb together and get a mind of their own (bad habits) if you can't spend lots of time with them.
It's not so much what will they do, as what do you have time for.
Let us know what kind of dog you're getting so I can live vicariously through you. I miss having dogs, bad.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:32 AM   #4
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

If you can get two from the same litter, how cute would that be! Male and female. What breeds are you looking for?

You could also get two dogs from a shelter that seem to get along with each other.

I have always taken in dogs as adults, so I have little puppy experience.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:46 AM   #5
Razorhog
Feeling at Home

First Name: Beau
Trading: (4)
Razorhog is on a distinguished road

I also suggest getting shelter dogs. The people that work there can tell you the temperament of each dog. A lot of shelters have websites where you can see and read about them. Depending on your stage in life, getting a puppy might not be the best thing - two would be crazy IMHO. My dog is 6 years old now, and I got him when I was single. I had time to watch him like a hawk during the potty training time. Some friends of mine have a dog that died, and they immediately got another puppy. They have a 2 year old girl and another dog too - trying to watch/train a puppy in that environment is nearly impossible. Now the dog is getting older and still not house trained.
Razorhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:40 AM   #6
Brilliant

I have 2 ACD blue heelers they are litter mates ones a male Mahone and the other a female Pogue. I would always have 2 dogs, sometimes it get difficult with training them to do tricks and stuff but they keep each other busy so in the end I think its better
Old 03-01-2010, 11:48 AM   #7
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

We more or less did the same thing but got them 2 months apart. My wife trains them together and I actually think they learn quicker together because if one gets it the other one follows and than figures out the command. We also like the fact that if we are not home that they have each other to occupy one another rather than always getting into trouble like our Dalmation did when left alone for too long. Our two dogs are always playing together and will rarely be found away from the one another.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:35 PM   #8
jaydub13
aka Little Pickle

First Name: Jason
Trading: (5)
Partagas
jaydub13 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brilliant View Post
I have 2 ACD blue heelers they are litter mates ones a male Mahone and the other a female Pogue. I would always have 2 dogs, sometimes it get difficult with training them to do tricks and stuff but they keep each other busy so in the end I think its better
Pogue and Mahone?!?! LMAO That's fantastic! Well done!

And I agree with what most everyone is saying. I have one dog now, but if I had it to do over, I would have gotten 2 at once. Especially since I have a cocker spaniel, and those dogs just love to cause trouble when they're bored...
jaydub13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 01:30 PM   #9
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

No rescue dog.... One bad experience was enough....
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 01:34 PM   #10
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

We got two togethger (miniature Poodles) and don't regret it. We were warned however that the dogs would tend to bond with each other more than with us, and that is true. Still, no regrets!

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 02:12 PM   #11
SmokeyJoe
Chief Wannastogie Lounge

First Name: Joe
Trading: (28)
VR
SmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud of

OHHHHHHH.... OK.

You didn't mean THESE puppies.

More on topic... everyone I know that has tried two dogs has said they prefer it. We are sticking with one at my house, though.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:13 PM   #12
papichulo
Diablo Canoso

Trading: (2)
papichulo will become famous soon enough

those look like small melons
Old 03-01-2010, 02:38 PM   #13
Razorhog
Feeling at Home

First Name: Beau
Trading: (4)
Razorhog is on a distinguished road

I have a miniature schnauzer and a golden retriever. They are a great pair, but not bought at the same time. The schnauzer is dominant and incredibly intelligent. The golden is a little dopey, but very sweet and lovable. Next big dog I get will probably be a Goldendoodle.

Razorhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 06:49 PM   #14
ashtonlady
The Lady is Here

First Name: Laura
Trading: (8)
Navy (Served With Honor)
ashtonlady will become famous soon enoughashtonlady will become famous soon enough

I have had 2 dogs at a time. But I am also a believer that you should raise one dog at a time.
ashtonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:42 PM   #15
montecristo#2
Don't Taze me Bro!

Trading: (49)
Cohiba
montecristo#2 will become famous soon enough

I think I am on the side of one at a time. I would probably get one and then wait a year to get a second. Although, I can only speak from experience. We tried two puppies at the same time and had to return one to our breeder (granted these were our first dogs). She was actually really against it but thought we could give it a try. She was really cool about the whole situation though.

It was extremely hard to separate them when we had both. All they wanted to do was play with each other and they were rather violent when playing (they were litter mates). Plus, house training was twice a difficult as we had to constantly watch two puppies.

We actually thought they would keep each other company when we were gone. But instead of no lonely puppies, we had two lonely puppies. Granted, we have a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel and these dogs were basically bread to sit on peoples laps, so independence is not in their DNA.

Now that he has calmed down and is fully trained, sometimes I wish we had not returned his brother, but I know it was best for both him and Crick (the one we kept).

Also, I cannot imagine twice the Vet bills - two dogs to vaccinate and get fixed at the same time.
montecristo#2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 02:30 PM   #16
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (19)
ERdM Navy (Retired)
Volt has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by montecristo#2 View Post
I think I am on the side of one at a time. I would probably get one and then wait a year to get a second. Although, I can only speak from experience. We tried two puppies at the same time and had to return one to our breeder (granted these were our first dogs). She was actually really against it but thought we could give it a try. She was really cool about the whole situation though.

It was extremely hard to separate them when we had both. All they wanted to do was play with each other and they were rather violent when playing (they were litter mates). Plus, house training was twice a difficult as we had to constantly watch two puppies.

We actually thought they would keep each other company when we were gone. But instead of no lonely puppies, we had two lonely puppies. Granted, we have a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel and these dogs were basically bread to sit on peoples laps, so independence is not in their DNA.

Now that he has calmed down and is fully trained, sometimes I wish we had not returned his brother, but I know it was best for both him and Crick (the one we kept).

Also, I cannot imagine twice the Vet bills - two dogs to vaccinate and get fixed at the same time.

Hehe - I have had chows for the past 20 years - independant is all they are. They favor us by letting us pet them and play with them. Fiercely loyal and great defenders of the homestead.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:12 AM   #17
King James
Regard Me!

First Name: Jim
Bolivar
King James has disabled reputation

I didn't get my two dogs at the same time, but the older one was still around a year old when we got the other. the older one obviously had a head start and was fairly well trained by the time the pup came around, but I don't think you would have too many problems either way
Old 03-02-2010, 11:28 AM   #18
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

Yes!
Old 03-02-2010, 01:24 PM   #19
Lucky_Hippo
A Cigar = 42

First Name: Gary
Lucky_Hippo is on a distinguished road

When my Chocolate Lab started to look like she was going down hill we brought in a boxer pup. The puppy "forced" the Lab to play and she started to move around more. Lost some extra weight and got a little of the bounce in her step back. Although she's slid in the health department since then, that was 2 years ago and I truly belive the puppy helped all of us to gain a few extra years together that we probably wouldn't have had.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:28 PM   #20
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (19)
ERdM Navy (Retired)
Volt has disabled reputation

My ...... man cannot have too many dogs. They bring smiles to my face, lower my blood pressure and make me laugh with their antics. Only keeping peace with the wife keeps me from having more.