Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 02-14-2009, 02:41 PM   #1
eboniknight
Hit 'em Hard and Deep!

First Name: JC
Trading: (0)
eboniknight is on a distinguished road
Default Splitting wrapper issues.

Pulled a couple of smokes out of the humi yesterday to enjoy on the links and had an issue that I have not experienced before. After being lit for about 10 minutes or so, the filler expanded and the wrapper started to split like crazy. Got to the point where I just gave up since I was not enjoying them. Is this caused by being too dry?? They were resting in the humi between 64-66% for about a month. Don't want to experience this with other smokes in the humi. Any suggestions would be helpful.......
Old 02-14-2009, 02:53 PM   #2
Bax
C A P S...CAPS CAPS CAPS!

First Name: Tim
Trading: (70)
Partagas
Bax is a jewel in the roughBax is a jewel in the roughBax is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Splitting wrapper issues.

Do you have a digital or analog hygro?
Old 02-14-2009, 03:24 PM   #3
acarr
Have My Own Room

Trading: (34)
acarr will become famous soon enough

I seem to have gotten this once or twice in the past and I think it was because of previous storage conditions, not the current ones.
acarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 03:27 PM   #4
tunes
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Bruce
Trading: (3)
AirForce (Served With Honor)
tunes is on a distinguished road

I had this happen the other day with a Hemingway signature. After a couple of minutes it split on both sides from the head down about 3/4". Never had that happen before with any other smokes from my humidor.
Old 02-14-2009, 05:26 PM   #5
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

I suspect over humidification. When the filler and binder are at a higher rh, they will swell up when heated and split the outer wrapper. This can also occur when moving from a warm area(inside) to a very cold one(outside).
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 07:12 PM   #6
groogs
Have My Own Room

First Name: Grant
Trading: (62)
Trinidad
groogs will become famous soon enoughgroogs will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
I suspect over humidification. When the filler and binder are at a higher rh, they will swell up when heated and split the outer wrapper. This can also occur when moving from a warm area(inside) to a very cold one(outside).
My first thought was an extreme temperature change, or the cigars were to moist.
groogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 06:57 PM   #7
Boomer
Back In Iowa

First Name: Dick
LGC
Boomer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by eboniknight View Post
Pulled a couple of smokes out of the humi yesterday to enjoy on the links and had an issue that I have not experienced before. After being lit for about 10 minutes or so, the filler expanded and the wrapper started to split like crazy. Got to the point where I just gave up since I was not enjoying them. Is this caused by being too dry?? They were resting in the humi between 64-66% for about a month. Don't want to experience this with other smokes in the humi. Any suggestions would be helpful.......
It serves you right, smoking cigars on a golf course in the middle of freaking winter.
Old 02-15-2009, 01:40 AM   #8
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by eboniknight View Post
Pulled a couple of smokes out of the humi yesterday to enjoy on the links and had an issue that I have not experienced before. After being lit for about 10 minutes or so, the filler expanded and the wrapper started to split like crazy........
I guess a few questions come to mind first:

What was the brand/size that the mishap occurred to?

What was the wrapper type?

What's the RH in your humi or cooler currently at?
Old 02-15-2009, 04:38 AM   #9
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

I've only had this happen once and it was recently. I was out of town and had put the humi I usually use as a dry box in my truck with 15 or so sticks. I left the humi in the truck and it got down into the 20s for a couple of nights. All of the sticks I smoke split. I am no rocket scientist but I now know not to let my sticks have dramatic temp changes any more.
Old 02-15-2009, 04:44 AM   #10
taltos
Really, really old

First Name: Paul
Trading: (3)
Punch MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
taltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the rough

I have to watch this here in the northeast during the winter and be careful about what I smoke. I have had problems with Oliva O's when taking one out of a humi and going outside when the temp is at freezing or below and rh is just about nonexistant. I find myself smoking many Gran Habanos and Oliva G Maduros since they seem to tolerate the temp and humidity change. My humis are kept at about 68 degrees and 63% rh. Just my , hope it helps.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:03 AM   #11
beamish

this seems to happen to me with pepin jj line or the pepin blue all other brands do just fine,so far
Old 02-15-2009, 04:22 PM   #12
ChINaMaN1472

This usually happens to me when there's a massive change in humidity quick, like if I smoke outside and its drier than usual.

The other time is getting the crp sticks.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:30 AM   #13
eboniknight
Hit 'em Hard and Deep!

LOL....as far as golfing in winter I guess I am a glutton for punishment. I hope the wrapper issue was due to the temp change....it was about 52degrees that day. The brands were both CAO.....Gold Madura and an MX2.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:18 PM   #14
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

I've had this happen several times when it has been cold outside. I think the extreme temperature and humidity change can shock the cigars. Especially for ones with Cameroon wrappers.
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 10:52 PM   #15
Swampper
Still Watching My Back

VR
Swampper is on a distinguished road

I suspect a crummy wrapper. One brand in particular, mentioned a few post before, is having this problem. Several robusto's of various colored bands [red/blue/black/white] are splitting on me like crazy. No problems with any of the other sticks in my vino.

If you bought a box of these I would be calling that vendor.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:04 AM   #16
jm0307

I too have had problems with Oliva Os and Gs, but merely from time to time and regardless of whether smoked in- or outdoors. Perhaps one or two out of every box are affected. I don't think its due to my storage conditions, as I do not have this issue with any other cigar. However, bearing in mind their usually decent construction and great value, I can tolerate a few split cigars.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:14 AM   #17
dentonparrots

I've had a Graycliff that I was sooooo looking forward to smoking almost explode on me once. The thing literally cracked as I was smoking it and I noticed the swelling too, from the inside out. I feel it was almost the wrapped being too tight as it felt really solid. That particluar cigar was at 69% RH inside the humi then dry boxed at 57% for 2 days before being smoked, although it was smoked outside in cold-ish weather so maybe that had something to do with it too.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:38 AM   #18
eboniknight
Hit 'em Hard and Deep!

I getting ready to bust out some more smokes from the humi.....different brands....and give them a go. I have smoked when conditions were colder than when I played golf and had no problems. I suspect (hope) that is was a bad lot.....