Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-16-2010, 06:40 PM   #1
rhmalone
Still Watching My Back

First Name: R. Harrison
Trading: (5)
rhmalone will become famous soon enough
Default Rocky Patel OWR

Thanks to Lear31MX for the opportunity to review a great cigar!

Rocky Patel Old World Reserve

Wrapper: Maduro
Binder: Nicaragua
Filler: Nicaragua
Size: 5 x 54 [Torpedo]

As the evening wind softly announced the impending storm that loomed on the far horizon; I was struck by the regal charm of the Rocky Patel OWR. Encased by a rich, leathery maduro wrapper, this 5×54 torpedo need not beg to be clipped; for I had already done it the honor. without effort the double blade of the Palio made quick work of the well crafted cap.

My pre-light inspection turned up hints of aged caramel notes; which served to only heighten my excitement for smoking this find cigar. Before setting flame to tobacco, I tested the draw. It was found to be easy and open.

Now with nothing left to do, my Xikar lighter clicked to life, sending billowing plumes of smoke rising into the air. Instantly, I was made aware of the earthy–almost cashew nuttiness of the OWR. This tone would continue for the duration of the cigar; much like the rain that was now falling rhythmically from above. Mixed with the earth tones was a robust hint of fine German chocolate and the faintest hint of white pepper that graced the back of the throat like a velvet blanket.

Within those first few draws I knew I would be in for a fine cigar. About ninety minuets later my predictions would be confirmed.

Personal rating: 8.25 (10 pt. scale)