Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 07-24-2024, 08:32 AM   #4101
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: The Bourbon Thread!!

I had some JD SB Barrel Proof last night. I don't know if there's currently another whiskey out there that I enjoy the aroma of more than it.
Old 07-24-2024, 11:41 AM   #4102
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porch Dweller View Post
I had some JD SB Barrel Proof last night. I don't know if there's currently another whiskey out there that I enjoy the aroma of more than it.
So solid in every way, James...I had a pour last night of a store pick.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2024, 10:39 AM   #4103
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Stopped by my local store to see if they had anything new. The Four Roses store pick is in, the owner is still figuring out when he’s going to release it. Snagged one of their Woodenville Rye picks. Marked down from $80 to $50. Got to talking with the owner about the Woodenville Moscatel finished. He hadn’t tried it yet, so told him I’d bring him a sample. In exchange he gives me a sample of OF 13 year brown label.
Old 07-25-2024, 12:21 PM   #4104
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Stopped in to one of my less-frequented B&Ms. They didn't have anything great, but I grabbed a Buffalo Trace and a Dickel BIB.
Old 07-25-2024, 01:29 PM   #4105
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Win for you, Bob! Did he tell you which recipe and tier the FR was?

James, always good to have those on hand.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old Yesterday, 07:58 AM   #4106
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

The past couple years I've been seeing a lot of single barrel picks locally from a Wisconsin distillery, Dancing Goat. When I saw a West coast guy whose picks I've enjoyed had picked an 8 year MGP barrel, I ordered one up. It arrived today, I'll probably open it this weekend.

Old Yesterday, 09:02 AM   #4107
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

First Name: Ben
Trading: (50)
RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

Nice pickup! Jay doesn't pick bad barrels, and he sure has a lot of them set aside at Dancing Goat. The releases are just gonna get better and better
Old Yesterday, 10:18 AM   #4108
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Win for you, Bob! Did he tell you which recipe and tier the FR was?
No, unfortunately. I believe I’m getting the sample second hand. He just told me it spent 13 years in the barrel, then another 12 in a stainless cask before bottling.
Old Yesterday, 02:17 PM   #4109
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by stearns View Post
Nice pickup! Jay doesn't pick bad barrels, and he sure has a lot of them set aside at Dancing Goat. The releases are just gonna get better and better
I've had good luck with several of jay's picks too, Ben. Good to hear his standing with DG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
No, unfortunately. I believe I’m getting the sample second hand. He just told me it spent 13 years in the barrel, then another 12 in a stainless cask before bottling.
The 13 year age itself is crazy, but I don't understand Bob....12 more years in a stainless cask? Never heard of that.

I went to Binny's to pick up something for QT. New Maker's Mark picks were $15 off. At under $50, it was a no-brainer.

Old Yesterday, 02:38 PM   #4110
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Quote:
The 13 year age itself is crazy, but I don't understand Bob....12 more years in a stainless cask? Never heard of that.
Makers did something similar with their Cellar Aged. I’ve been searching the web for any info if what I was told was true, but haven’t found anything. Maybe Ben knows?

Either way, it was fantastic. Drank it this afternoon. So smooth. Wish I had more.
Old Yesterday, 02:51 PM   #4111
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
Makers did something similar with their Cellar Aged. I’ve been searching the web for any info if what I was told was true, but haven’t found anything. Maybe Ben knows?

Either way, it was fantastic. Drank it this afternoon. So smooth. Wish I had more.
Sounds delicious, Bob, nice.

MM cellared 12 year bourbon for their Cellar Aged, but I believe it was still oak barrels and not anything metallic?

Old Yesterday, 02:53 PM   #4112
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Quote:
Sounds delicious, Bob, nice.

MM cellared 12 year bourbon for their Cellar Aged, but I believe it was still oak barrels and not anything metallic?
That’s right about the Cellar Aged. My bad.
Old Yesterday, 05:01 PM   #4113
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

First Name: Ben
Trading: (50)
RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

Quote:
Allow me to translate!

Bob was talking about the Old Fitz, not the Four Roses. The Old Fitz was the 25yr anni bottle, distilled right after HH took over Bernheim? Fact check me. After 13 years they put it in a tank then bottled for this anniversary thing. I'd kill to try it, but not willing to pay the ~$900 they're going for on secondary. Glad you got a chance!
Old Today, 05:34 AM   #4114
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by stearns View Post
Allow me to translate!

Bob was talking about the Old Fitz, not the Four Roses. The Old Fitz was the 25yr anni bottle, distilled right after HH took over Bernheim? Fact check me. After 13 years they put it in a tank then bottled for this anniversary thing. I'd kill to try it, but not willing to pay the ~$900 they're going for on secondary. Glad you got a chance!
Thank you Ben, that makes more sense. Whoever gave the sample to the owner, wrote on the bottle with marker that has partially worn off. Thus why it’s easy to confuse Old Forester for Old Fitz.