View Single Post
Old 10-16-2014, 02:53 PM   #1
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Project of the Day : LGC Sign

I just got this sign finished, it's been sitting around forever waiting for the edge to get sanded.
I did the LGC modeling a long time ago so I could make these in 3D, but I wanted to try this wood stabilization technique that some guys were working on.
So I decided to get the torch out and burn this board to a crisp on top. I made it my mission to get it burned nice and deep and it took a good while.
The reason I wanted it burned up so much is that I wanted to know this wood stabilization thing really worked, and worked good.

It certainly did. In essence, it turned the burned parts into plastic. Coolest thing ever. I know this is a gimmicky aesthetic thing, but the technique has lots of practical applications in woodworking, so I'll put it to use in the future when I get in a jam.

In case anyone wants one of these signs, I can grind one out for you in about a year. Somewhere around one billion dollars.

I made a video so I didn't have to upload pics.

I got a few pics anyways, it took me a few hours to get this post finished...