Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   All Cigar Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   This calls for a cigar (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=57933)

RHerrington 09-05-2012 05:07 PM

This calls for a cigar

I'm pretty curious - what activities for you, fellow BOTL's, absolutely calls for a good cigar? What do you normally find yourself doing when you are enjoying a stick? What is it that you can't imagine doing without a cigar?

For me, I always find myself reading. After a long day at work, nothing could make my day more enjoyable than to end it sitting on my balcony looking over the woods behind my apartment with a book in one hand and a good cigar in the other..

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-Q...4/PICT0070.JPG

Case in point - just now I had a Pinar del Rio Reserva Limitada while reading Mansfield Park, and tomorrow will most likely end the same way with whatever cigar looks tasty as I dig through my coolidor.

So, what is it for you guys?

longknocker 09-05-2012 05:10 PM

Re: This calls for a cigar

For Me, Any Time I Have An Hour Or So To Relax, Especially After A Tough Day At Work!:tu I Usually Listen To Music & Have A Cold Beverage With My Cigar.:)

kelmac07 09-05-2012 05:13 PM

Any time I need to "recharge and relax", a stick always seems to do it for me. On that same note...I so much prefer to enjoy them with good friends...always makes the stick so much more enjoyable. :D

equetefue 09-05-2012 05:35 PM

Every afternoon after a long day of work

Kevin(n)tn 09-05-2012 05:38 PM

I agree. Just anytime I have time to sit back relax. Nothing beats some quiet time on the patio with a book,beer and good smoke.

TJtorpedo 09-05-2012 06:09 PM

After a long day of work = cigar + music + beverage + back deck

markem 09-05-2012 06:15 PM

Usually, I grab the kindle (working through Terry Pratchett's Discworld Series) and head out back where I sit here:

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...54286317_n.jpg

and scratch these ears

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...23054563_n.jpg

love your spot as well. Most relaxing.

N2 GOLD 09-05-2012 06:19 PM

I find myself smoking, drinking & relaxing... :ss

RHerrington 09-05-2012 06:20 PM

Very nice spot you have there, Mark. I can't wait to have a place of my own so I can put together something half as relaxing as yours looks. :banger

icehog3 09-05-2012 06:53 PM

Relax...recharge...unwind. Three reasons already stated that are huge for me.

Also, if I am home watching a sporting event of interest, I usually burn a couple as well.

And herfs? Don't get me started.... :r

Ogre 09-05-2012 06:56 PM

It's great you can have that moment of time. Enjoy it brother.

markem 09-05-2012 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RHerrington (Post 1711630)
Very nice spot you have there, Mark. I can't wait to have a place of my own so I can put together something half as relaxing as yours looks. :banger

Hope you get it, Rick, and that you post pictures when you do.

EricF 09-05-2012 06:57 PM

Chillin' after work, watching football, a good movie and of course herfin' with friends!!

14holestogie 09-05-2012 07:11 PM

Golf and a cigar. Couldn't imagine a game without one or two.
Football season as well, whether in the sunroom or the garage, I need a smoke to calm me down. :D

And whenever Todd calls....:)

Taki 09-05-2012 08:21 PM

Hanging with all the boys from the neighborhood...Shane, Dennis, and Ken! Great times with great friends :tu

dvickery 09-05-2012 08:30 PM

interesting that there are a few who smoke and read.

i cannot smoke and read...even tho i probably read 25 hours a week and watch tv 5 hours a week...my favorite cigar activity is to smoke while watching hockey(mind you only the oilers games).

derrek

Zanaspus 09-05-2012 09:49 PM

I am reminded of a classic Champagne quotation:

"I only drink Champagne when I'm happy, and when I'm sad. sometimes I drink it when I'm alone. when I have company, I consider it obligatory. I trifle with it if I am not hungry and drink it when I am. otherwise I never touch it - unless I'm thirsty"
Lily Bollinger

Substitute cigar smoking where necessary. :D

icehog3 09-05-2012 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvickery (Post 1711707)
interesting that there are a few who smoke and read.

i cannot smoke and read...even tho i probably read 25 hours a week and watch tv 5 hours a week...my favorite cigar activity is to smoke while watching hockey(mind you only the oilers games).

derrek

Blackhawks games might make those cigars even sweeter, Derrek. ;) :r

jluck 09-05-2012 11:25 PM

I either sit at my picnic table or if the spine forbids I wander around my property looking at all things of interest....deer and elk sign, mushrooms,rabbits,birds,cows,fish etc. It is very relaxing for me.

Things that demand it...Sitting around a campfire.

Remo 09-06-2012 12:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This

Attachment 12312

irratebass 09-06-2012 03:55 AM

As already stated, back deck with a cold beverage, not always alcohol either.....with a book or possibly listening to music or surfing the web via laptop......and of course the cigars are much more enjoyable with friends and conversation.

RevSmoke 09-06-2012 07:02 AM

After a long week...
Whenever I get together w/friends who enjoy a cigar... (sometimes we create an excuse to get together)
Fishing...
Camping...

RHerrington 09-06-2012 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Remo_5_0 (Post 1711790)
This

Now that looks like a fine way to enjoy a cigar!

Mentallyrechartd 09-06-2012 07:43 AM

Obligatory, as Jared mentioned, is the campfire.
All of my friends smoke cigars, so generally when I'm with them, but every now and then, I'll have one solo, to collect my thoughts and pay attention to the smoke. I only smoke when I have the time to really enjoy the 5-35$ smoke that someone rolled with their hands, and that someone blended. Like Bill Paley said recently, so few things are handmade anymore. There's nothing wrong with smoking a cigar while you mow, or drive, but I like to give my sticks my fullest attention, and the respect they deserve.

maninblack 09-06-2012 01:03 PM

After waking up to another day above ground. Every day is a blessing.

The Poet 09-06-2012 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maninblack (Post 1712072)
After waking up to another day above ground. Every day is a blessing.

:tpd:

That was exactly my first thought.

Oh, and I gotta ask . . . Jane Austen? Oooooo-kaaaay. :D

Blak Smyth 09-06-2012 02:08 PM

Pretty much anytime I am outdoors not doing something pysically active demands a cigar!
I would kill to be able to watch the Skins games while smoking, need to figure that out since I can't smoke in the house.
Maybe I can run a cable to the garage and put a TV in there? Hmmm.

EricF 09-06-2012 02:16 PM

Being done with work and ready to leave for a 3 day herf in New Jersey!!! :noon

RHerrington 09-06-2012 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Poet (Post 1712140)
:tpd:

That was exactly my first thought.

Oh, and I gotta ask . . . Jane Austen? Oooooo-kaaaay. :D

I'm going through the various "classics" right now, because I was curious what made them last through the years. So far Jane Austen's writing style is not really drawing me in - unlike others that I've finished, like A Tale of Two Cities (Dickens), Count of Monte Cristo (Dumas), and David Copperfield (Dickens again).

But, I don't know how to not finish a book once I start it, so it looks like I'll be smoking quite a few cigars before it's finished. (not that I'm complaining about that! :r )

The Poet 09-06-2012 02:28 PM

Try James Fenimore Cooper and Joseph Conrad, brother. :tu

RHerrington 09-06-2012 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Poet (Post 1712158)
Try James Fenimore Cooper and Joseph Conrad, brother. :tu

Funny you mention Cooper - I was just calling my brother on his birthday last week and he's reading Last of the Mohicans. Says he absolutely can't stand the over-detail Cooper puts into the book.

I'm a glutton for punishment, maybe I'll read it anyways ;):r

The Poet 09-06-2012 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RHerrington (Post 1712160)
Funny you mention Cooper - I was just calling my brother on his birthday last week and he's reading Last of the Mohicans. Says he absolutely can't stand the over-detail Cooper puts into the book.

I'm a glutton for punishment, maybe I'll read it anyways ;):r

Then warn him to stay the hell away from Thomas Hardy and Henry James! :r

P.S. - And don't even MENTION Proust!!!

OLS 09-06-2012 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Poet (Post 1712164)
P.S. - And don't even MENTION Proust!!!

DUH!.....:r

I find the perfect time to smoke a cigar is when people are hollering at me for not updating my blog
for a while. It's all about the pressure for me I'm afraid. And right now its far too hot to smoke.

pektel 09-06-2012 06:45 PM

for me, it's when i come home from work and the gf is sound asleep with both our kids. i get all excited and hurry up to grab a smoke and a drink. as quietly as i can. then head out to the deck.
Posted via Mobile Device

Big Maduro 09-06-2012 10:24 PM

My favorite is camping. I don't smoke everyday,so it's a special time for sure.

joeobx 09-07-2012 05:58 AM

Anchored up on my boat or sitting on my buddy's dock. I also like having one on the way to work and on the way home. Pretty much anytime I can.

CasaDooley 09-07-2012 11:24 AM

Anytime, for me, is a good time for a cigar. Life's too short so why wait for a preordained time or event to lite up. Hell, I celebrate waking up each day with a cigar and coffee! :r

icantbejon 09-07-2012 12:34 PM

My happiness....the one room in my home (though still not complete) that the kids can't come into. I think my wife has begun to regret letting me build this room....she never sees me anymore.

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/l...20826-1715.jpg

lilninjabuddy 09-07-2012 12:39 PM

Whenever the sun is out, or a friend is coming over, or the kids are finally in bed, or the lawn needs to be mowed, or I've finished the week, or I've just gotten home from evening service on a Sunday evening, or I have a commute to a meeting somewhere, or...

cryan1980 09-07-2012 06:32 PM

Reading in the hammock
While tending my larger smoker (Meadow Creek offset)
Campfire

I have been trying to figure out a smoke that works for me while fishing, but haven't found one yet...

RCS44 09-07-2012 08:05 PM

Golf and a cigar is a must!! I can't imagine going with out a cigar on the golf course. Another occasion is when i am doing homework on my computer. Cigars make the time a lot more enjoyable too.

Dunkel 09-08-2012 01:00 AM

When I go fishing/camping. Something magical about a cigar when enjoying the great outdoors. Also when hangin' with friends.

warpedcigars 09-08-2012 04:28 PM

Usually when I need to clear my head, do design work, to get away, or read.

Sonic04GT 09-15-2012 10:37 PM

Normally relaxing with a beer, cigar, and the iPad. Recently I've just been walking across the street and smoking with my neighbor in his garage.

Nice pics in here. Certainly beats my scenery and lounge. Actually, when I get the opportunity, smoking one on the boat at the island is quite perfect.