Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Coffee Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   What are you roasting today? (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=41579)

Blak Smyth 02-27-2012 05:55 AM

Re: What are you roasting today?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 (Post 1572823)
Thanks Mark, I'm reading right now about how much to roast each batch. Next time I'm going it increase the bean weight and see how it performs. The videos on SM's talk about just under half a cup, which is what my weights were at. But everything I'm reading says use 2/3 to 3/4 cup, or up to 4oz.

Temps are still low here, in the mid 30's to low 40's. Even with the propane heater going in the garage, it still doesn't get that warm. Guess I should do something about all those gaps in the walls. :r

The Nesco requires almost 30 mins to roast a small batch, it has to be the most time consuming roaster out there.

BSB 02-27-2012 09:47 AM

El Salvador Las Mercedes Pepinal 1, from Klatch. Roasted up pretty nice, to just FC.

Blak Smyth 02-27-2012 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BSB (Post 1573363)
El Salvador Las Mercedes Pepinal 1, from Klatch. Roasted up pretty nice, to just FC.

Sounds delightful!

ApexAZ 02-27-2012 10:52 AM

Quote:

Thanks Mark, I'm reading right now about how much to roast each batch. Next time I'm going it increase the bean weight and see how it performs. The videos on SM's talk about just under half a cup, which is what my weights were at. But everything I'm reading says use 2/3 to 3/4 cup, or up to 4oz.

Temps are still low here, in the mid 30's to low 40's. Even with the propane heater going in the garage, it still doesn't get that warm. Guess I should do something about all those gaps in the walls. :r

I'm sure it depends on the popper. I think the idea is just to keep the beans moving.

BSB 02-27-2012 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blak Smyth (Post 1573411)
Sounds delightful!

I'll let ya know on Wed -(P

Chainsaw13 02-27-2012 07:31 PM

Just got my tracking number from SM's. :noon

x man 02-28-2012 07:42 AM

I`ve been using my Westbend Poppery 2 for 2 yrs now.
I put in 6 to 8 ozs. in a measuring cup, depending on the density of the beans.
It was 60 in Philly yesterday, i roasted 1 1/2 lbs. of Ethiopian Yir.

BSB 02-28-2012 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BSB (Post 1573363)

There is a great, peanutty aroma, coming from the beans today, very excited, very excited! :noon

ApexAZ 02-28-2012 09:49 AM

I roasted some El Salvador Majahual -Tablon La Montana to Full City + on Saturday. I can't wait to drink it. Just now finishing up the last of the Satpura Fold blend.

Mr B 02-28-2012 11:45 AM

Try blending it w/ about 2/3 Papua New Guinea at FC/FC+. It makes a great blend

ApexAZ 02-29-2012 05:44 PM

Roasted the second half of my Ethiopia Limu Jimma - Alaga Sekala. Was shooting for city + but it looks more like full city I guess.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7066/6...a5e51f6ec5.jpg

BSB 03-01-2012 09:32 AM

I see a few beans I'd pull out of there, but that's just me.
Roasted some Guatemala Genuine Antigua Covadonga to FC. From Klatch.

ApexAZ 03-01-2012 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BSB (Post 1577227)
I see a few beans I'd pull out of there, but that's just me.
Roasted some Guatemala Genuine Antigua Covadonga to FC. From Klatch.

There were even lighter ones I chucked. The others I wasn't quite sure on.

Mr B 03-01-2012 05:13 PM

Ethiopians tend to have a range of colors. It is good to get rid of those true quakers though. The Real light tan ones.

BSB 03-01-2012 06:45 PM

I'm just very picky -(P

icehog3 03-01-2012 07:03 PM

smitty.

ApexAZ 03-01-2012 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icehog3 (Post 1577891)
smitty.

non sequitur

Blak Smyth 03-02-2012 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApexAZ (Post 1576506)
Roasted the second half of my Ethiopia Limu Jimma - Alaga Sekala. Was shooting for city + but it looks more like full city I guess.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7066/6...a5e51f6ec5.jpg

Looks good Brian, that one bean catches my eye though. You know the one. If it is anything like my camera phone it doesn't look like that in real life though. :tu

BSB 03-02-2012 09:00 AM

Yeah, that one bean in paticulure, you see it, right? :D -(P

Mr B 03-02-2012 09:33 AM

Quote:

Here's what I do:
Before starting the Air Popper, put in in a box that is just a few inches larger in diameter than the popper. The height of the box should come up to just under the throat of the popper. Start your regular roast cycle. once you notice that the roaster does not seem to be getting any hotter (or as hot as you want) plug in another popper and have it blowing into the box that the first popper is in. This additional hot air will increase the temp very nicely.
Without this, my poppers during the winter time, can barley get the beans to first crack.

Here is my roast cycle:
Start the first popper. Let it run for 6-8 minutes. Plug in the additional popper and get it up to first crack. Once first crack gets going I unplug the second popper and let first crack ride for a minute or two.
Then I plug back in the second popper and bring it up to whatever level I want it to finish at.

The second popper can just be any ol style popper. I use an easy to find, cheap one that has the vent at the bottom. All you are using it for is extra hot air.
:tu

ApexAZ 03-02-2012 10:22 AM

Dang quakers.

physiognomy 03-02-2012 06:04 PM

I'm going to roast some of the El Salvador beans I got from Klatch last month... I haven't decided which one yet, but probably the Pepinal 1

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApexAZ (Post 1578764)
Dang quakers.

I don't usually bother doing anything with them... Imho, they don't change the flavor enough to worry unless there are a lot of really light beans.

BSB 03-02-2012 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by physiognomy (Post 1579265)
I'm going to roast some of the El Salvador beans I got from Klatch last month... I haven't decided which one yet, but probably the Pepinal 1

I don't usually bother doing anything with them... Imho, they don't change the flavor enough to worry unless there are a lot of really light beans.

How could you possibly know that? :confused: And it's not really hard or time consuming. I don't get it.

physiognomy 03-03-2012 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BSB (Post 1579335)
How could you possibly know that? :confused: And it's not really hard or time consuming. I don't get it.

I'll make sure to take them out when you come over for a cup, Bob :)

I've just found that (to my taste) the one or five beans that end up two shades lighter (I'm not talking about the beans that just don't roast) don't really make much of a difference in a 1/2lb lot. I've left them in for a couple of cups/pots and then picked them out for the remainder plenty of times... Not enough difference (to my tastes), so I've given up worrying unless they are still yellow or really light brown.

People who know better than me say that you need to take out any abnormal beans post-roast for the best flavors. I'm not suggesting anyone do otherwise & agree that they are right... Just sharing that it doesn't seem to make much difference to me. YMMV :cf1

I just roasted 1/2lb of El Salvador Las Mercedes Pepinal 1... Smells fantastic, so I'm looking forward to tomorrows cup!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-h...inal%25201.jpg

BSB 03-03-2012 12:32 PM

Got it! I'll keep picking :D -(P

ApexAZ 03-04-2012 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by physiognomy (Post 1579934)
I'll make sure to take them out when you come over for a cup, Bob :)

I've just found that (to my taste) the one or five beans that end up two shades lighter (I'm not talking about the beans that just don't roast) don't really make much of a difference in a 1/2lb lot. I've left them in for a couple of cups/pots and then picked them out for the remainder plenty of times... Not enough difference (to my tastes), so I've given up worrying unless they are still yellow or really light brown.

People who know better than me say that you need to take out any abnormal beans post-roast for the best flavors. I'm not suggesting anyone do otherwise & agree that they are right... Just sharing that it doesn't seem to make much difference to me. YMMV :cf1

I just roasted 1/2lb of El Salvador Las Mercedes Pepinal 1... Smells fantastic, so I'm looking forward to tomorrows cup!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-h...inal%25201.jpg

Looks great! Full city?

physiognomy 03-04-2012 03:06 PM

About 30secs past the end of first crack... I don't think it made full city (a little uneven surface to the bean), but tasty nonetheless!

BSB 03-04-2012 04:05 PM

Roasted a new coffee this morning, Colombia Finca Buenavista - Carlos Imbachi to city+. Cupping on Tues.

Chainsaw13 03-04-2012 08:29 PM

I'm gonna be like a kid on Christmas come Saturday. That's when I get home and I can open my shipment from SM's. Wonder what I'll get.

ApexAZ 03-04-2012 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 (Post 1581482)
I'm gonna be like a kid on Christmas come Saturday. That's when I get home and I can open my shipment from SM's. Wonder what I'll get.

Did you get samplers?

Chainsaw13 03-04-2012 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApexAZ (Post 1581526)
Did you get samplers?

Yea, the 4lb sampler and 1lb of the Monkey Blend.

ApexAZ 03-04-2012 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 (Post 1581529)
Yea, the 4lb sampler and 1lb of the Monkey Blend.

Sweet!

Blak Smyth 03-05-2012 05:50 AM

Went far darker than they recommend, but we will see how it tastes.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7051/6...9afbe29d_z.jpg

Mr B 03-05-2012 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by physiognomy (Post 1579265)

Try collecting a batch of them and make a cup of coffee form them. Betcha it tastes like crap. ;)

Mr B 03-05-2012 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BSB (Post 1581218)
Roasted a new coffee this morning, Colombia Finca Buenavista - Carlos Imbachi to city+. Cupping on Tues.

I loved that one. Especially after 4-5 days. It seemed to be better with more rest IMO.

BSB 03-06-2012 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr B (Post 1582218)
I loved that one. Especially after 4-5 days. It seemed to be better with more rest IMO.

Interesting, I loved it today, with 2 -(P

Blak Smyth 03-07-2012 06:22 AM

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7068/6...aa02fc25_z.jpg
A little lighter than last time, looks great. It is right where I wanted it.

forgop 03-07-2012 09:52 AM

Picked up a West Bend Poppery II and then ordered an 8# sampler from Sweet Marias. Let the roasting begin. :)

Mr B 03-07-2012 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by forgop (Post 1584398)
Picked up a West Bend Poppery II and then ordered an 8# sampler from Sweet Marias. Let the roasting begin. :)

BSB 03-07-2012 10:46 AM

Yemen Mokha Ismaili :cf1 half City+ - FC, half FC+, this will rest 6 days and be sampled when I get back from Phoenix. I choose Yemen, because it's been said, it really benifits, from extra rest. We will see.

forgop 03-13-2012 09:54 AM

8# sampler arrived today:

Rwanda Kibuye Gitesi
El Salvador Majahual-Tablon La Montana
Ethopia Illubabor-Camp Cooperative
El Salvador Matalapa-Tablon El Naranjo
India Poabs Organic Seethargundu Estate
Guatemala Acatenango-Finca La Soledad
Ethopia Limu Jimma-Alaga Sekala
Brazil Cerrado Fazenda No-Name-O

Now which one to do first...

Mr B 03-13-2012 10:21 AM

Nice Selection.

ApexAZ 03-13-2012 11:14 AM

I really screwed up a roast of beans from Bolivia. I ran out of propane halfway through a roast and during my attempt to try and get the flame lit and then ultimately bringing them inside to finish off on the stove, many of the beans got scorched. I picked out the ones that were blackened, but overall the coffee sucks. Blech.

BSB 03-13-2012 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by forgop (Post 1589814)
8# sampler arrived today:

Rwanda Kibuye Gitesi
El Salvador Majahual-Tablon La Montana
Ethopia Illubabor-Camp Cooperative
El Salvador Matalapa-Tablon El Naranjo
India Poabs Organic Seethargundu Estate
Guatemala Acatenango-Finca La Soledad
Ethopia Limu Jimma-Alaga Sekala
Brazil Cerrado Fazenda No-Name-O

Now which one to do first...

I roasted that one this morning -(P half city+, half FC+ cupping Thurs

forgop 03-17-2012 05:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My first batch of home roasted coffee-Ethopia Limu Jimma-Alaga Sekala. Will grind and brew in the morning.

I really have no idea what I'm doing. I just watched the video on Sweet Maria's and hope it turns out ok. :D

Chainsaw13 03-18-2012 01:18 PM

Roasted some SM's Monkey Blend and some Ethiopia Illubabor. These were part of my recent order. Also got the Brazilian Fazenda No-Name-O,
India Poabs Organic Seethargundu Estate and Guatemalian Acatenango - Finca Le Soledad.

BSB 03-19-2012 07:01 PM

Roasted some Panama Elida Natural - Elida Reserve, 50-50% city+ and FC+ Hoping for big rum flavor on Wed.

Chainsaw13 03-19-2012 07:45 PM

Did a couple more batches today to keep fine tuning the technique. Much better results.

Some SM's Brazilian No-Name-O just into 2nd crack (FC+ if I read their descriptions right). Can't wait to try this come Wednesday.
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/pictur...pictureid=6935

Before the Brazilian, I sacrificed some Burundi, letting it go all the way into 2nd crack. I wanted to see how long it took. Started around the 7:30 mark for 2nd crack and kept going for some time. I don't think it'll be drinkable, but you never know. I"m not throwing it away yet.
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/pictur...pictureid=6934

floydpink 03-20-2012 09:57 AM

I wouldn't discard the 2nd one so fast. Looks just like how I roast my Brazilian beans, although I don't have experience with Barundi.

Some of Sweet Maria's roasting notes would lead you to believe that 2nd crack is some horrible mistake and should be avoided.

I completely disagree and usually go 20 seconds into second crack on the blends I like to roast.

Chainsaw13 03-20-2012 10:30 AM

Yea, I"m holding onto it and will try it out. Who knows. I took it well into 2nd crack, which started around the 8min mark. I kept it going until the 11min mark just to see how long second crack would take. I could still hear pops going on at that point but figured it was time to pull the plug.

The batch of Brazilian hit 2nd crack right around 7min and I pulled it 20 seconds after that.