Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   Red Sox Nation -Check In (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=15635)

VTDragon 07-08-2010 02:34 PM

Re: Red Sox Nation -Check In

Quote:

Originally Posted by Subvet642 (Post 909322)
Who were those guys wearing Red Sox uniforms last night? I hardly recognised any of them. :<

Whoever they were, they can't hit. On a positive note, Beckett had a good throwing session, Youk is still playing, and Elsbury is rejoining the club, (though not yet to play) in Toronto. Maybe they can all get healthy over the Allstar Break. Don't forget - vote for Youk!

The Poet 07-19-2010 02:39 PM

Hello? Hello? Anybody there? Is this thing even on? Hello?

VTDragon 08-04-2010 10:33 AM

I've been busy while we moved into our new house but have been paying some attention to the boys. Injuries still are dogging this team, but at least some of the wounded are starting to come back. (even as some more go down-losing Youk really hurts)
Watched Mikey Lowell's triumphant return last night, (good for you Mikey) and now hear that Jacoby comes back tonight.
I'm still puzzled by that one...Is he a slacker? Did the club want him in Arizona? Why so long playing in Pawtucket? What do Tito and his teammates REALLY think of his VERY LONG recovery? ... I just don't know. Untill all this happened I thought he was a very talented, exciting player to watch and envisioned great things for him and the Sox. Now I question whether he will even be hear next year.
As usual - there is nothing boring about rooting for the Sox. Should be a fun series this weekend in NY. I would love to see our newly resurgent pitching shut the Evil Empire down completely for four games ... well, I can dream.

VTDragon 08-12-2010 09:43 AM

Well, no sweep in NY- just a split, but a nice couple of wins in Canada. We are still within striking distance of both the AL East and the wildcard. Hope springs eternal -so long as the pitching holds up.
Keep the faith.

PeteSB75 08-12-2010 10:51 AM

Francona is making a strong case for himself as manager of the year with the way he's kept this team playing well and in contention despite the huge number of injuries to the core starting lineup.

VTDragon 08-13-2010 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeteSB75 (Post 950527)
Francona is making a strong case for himself as manager of the year with the way he's kept this team playing well and in contention despite the huge number of injuries to the core starting lineup.

:tpd: Now if he would only take his tiring pitchers out one batter earlier.
(see Matusaka's record as evidence)

The Poet 08-13-2010 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VTDragon (Post 951670)
:tpd: Now if he would only take his tiring pitchers out one batter earlier.
(see Matusaka's record as evidence)

Or Poopiebum yesterday, who got tired before he even got one out. :r

PeteSB75 08-13-2010 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Poet (Post 951719)

He said he was groggy. Sounds like bull to me. He likes to throw heat and gets shelled whenever he does that and nothing else. Idiot needs to remember that he has more than one pitch.

The Poet 08-13-2010 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeteSB75 (Post 952083)
He said he was groggy. Sounds like bull to me.

So you're saying that BS stands for more than "blown save" here? :D

VTDragon 08-17-2010 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Poet (Post 951719)

It may be time to swap him and Bard. I know Papelbon would be royally pissed ... tough.
We're still only 4 1/2 games out of the wildcard ... We can't afford to carry a primadonna who has clearly lost it. Pitch a few clean eigth innings and we'll talk about getting your closer role back.

VTDragon 08-23-2010 02:09 PM

Report is that the Sox claimed Johnny Damon off the waiver wire--now that would be fun

The Poet 08-23-2010 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VTDragon (Post 963039)
Report is that the Sox claimed Johnny Damon off the waiver wire--now that would be fun

Yeah, it'll be fun to see if the Fairweather Park faithful will cheer him or boo him. :r

VTDragon 08-23-2010 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Poet (Post 963043)
Yeah, it'll be fun to see if the Fairweather Park faithful will cheer him or boo him. :r

He'll be cheered --- his Yankee years are behind him and the Fenway Faithful wont forget his contribution to Breaking the Curse

PeteSB75 08-23-2010 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Poet (Post 963043)

Wait, is that a yankee fan calling us fairweather? Have you ever looked at the stands at yankee stadium in the 8-9th inning of a game the yanks are losing? Strangely empty...

Anyway, the crowd at Fenway will cheer him, especially if he shows up with a beard :ss

The Poet 08-24-2010 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeteSB75 (Post 963358)
Wait, is that a yankee fan calling us fairweather? Have you ever looked at the stands at yankee stadium in the 8-9th inning of a game the yanks are losing? Strangely empty...

Anyway, the crowd at Fenway will cheer him, especially if he shows up with a beard :ss

Have you ever counted the number of posts on this thread in recent months, despite the fact that, as Yogi wisely said, it ain't over 'til it's over? :r

Oh, and by the way, Damon has announced he has declined the Red Sox offer to return. Been there, done that, and don't want no more of it. In case you missed it, last week when at Yankee Stadium, he was asked which he preferred . . . being a Boston or New York player. He replied that everything . . . the fans, the organization, the treatment of players, the environment and facilities . . . all was better by far with the Yankees. ;)

Bruins Fan 08-24-2010 05:57 PM

Sox did not want him back, it was just a blocking move.

VTDragon 08-25-2010 10:41 AM

Having Damon again would have been fun... but what's past is past, time to move on... besides I think our young guys are doing pretty well.

The Poet 08-25-2010 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruins Fan (Post 964496)
Sox did not want him back, it was just a blocking move.

Maybe so. And maybe this is revisionist history . . . again. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by VTDragon (Post 965455)
Having Damon again would have been fun... but what's past is past, time to move on... besides I think our young guys are doing pretty well.

Yes, those who are managing to stay healthy are doing pretty well. Unfortunately, "pretty well" may not be good enough in the AL East.

VTDragon 08-30-2010 12:30 PM

Lost a couple of close ones in St Pete...the playoff picture is not looking any brighter today.. had hoped to win at least 2 of 3 from the Rays.. but instead we lost 2 of 3. Maybe we can feast on some Bluejay.

The Poet 08-30-2010 01:58 PM

You still have time. I'd like to see the Sox get back in it . . . it's just not the same for we Yankees when they ain't.

area51 09-07-2010 04:29 AM

Now this looks like a nice place to check in at.

Bruins Fan 09-07-2010 06:03 AM

Well it looks like wait till next year.
This season was a major disappointment.
I don't know if it was Theo or if he had his hands tied?
To many bad off season signings, I think the team needs a good house cleaning, reshuffle the deck and lets get it on next season, I like a lot of the kids They brought up, lets hope they keep some of them.
The team has do do something TV ratings are down that means revenue, we all know how the Sox like to squeeze every penny that can out of the brand.

VirtualSmitty 09-07-2010 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruins Fan (Post 979977)
To many bad off season signings, I think the team needs a good house cleaning, reshuffle the deck and lets get it on next season, I like a lot of the kids They brought up, lets hope they keep some of them.
The team has do do something TV ratings are down that means revenue, we all know how the Sox like to squeeze every penny that can out of the brand.

Very disappointing. I hate the Red Sox with a passion, but I love the back and forth between Yanks/Sox fans. But Boston just never was really all that good this year, there wasn't one point during the season I thought they were going to make a run. Yankees/Rays just isn't the same.

area51 09-08-2010 02:25 AM

This year was a let down but hey there is always next year.

PeteSB75 09-08-2010 07:33 AM

Isn't it football season?

VTDragon 09-08-2010 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruins Fan (Post 979977)

The Globe ran an article back in Spring Training paraphrasing Theo essentially saying that this was a transition year awaiting fresh blood from the minors. He quickly distanced himself from those statements but .... well, look where we are and judge for yourself.
Having said all that... IF the pitching had been anywhere near what we expected from them, we would still be in it. But, yes even I am now willing to conceed that this season is gone.

TheDudeAbides 09-08-2010 10:12 PM

http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/a...itek_arod3.jpg

Just checking in. Good looking win against Garza and the devil rays tonight. On espn no less.
-Dude
{We don't throw at .260 hitters}

MedicCook 09-08-2010 10:14 PM

I have to say I was actually rooting for the Red Sox to win tonight. Gives the Yankees a bigger lead on the Rays now. :tu

Luc13 09-08-2010 10:34 PM

Bad year? I don't think so, they have the 5th best record in MLB and are in the same division as 1st and 2nd best. While the season might be a disappointment, its not over yet, remember that the Rays still play the Yankees 8 times. At best they might be able to sneak in the playoffs and play the role of spoiler. Losing Elsbury, Yuuuuk, and Pedroia was devastating and I for one am surprised and happy as a Sox fan that they are doing as well as they are.

area51 09-08-2010 10:43 PM

Good win tonight.

The Poet 09-09-2010 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luc13 (Post 982366)
Bad year? I don't think so, they have the 5th best record in MLB and are in the same division as 1st and 2nd best. While the season might be a disappointment, its not over yet, remember that the Rays still play the Yankees 8 times.

I'd agree that, disappointing as it must be for Boston fans, it cannot be classed as a "bad year". Yet I do think that, barring some miracle finish, it is over. My Yankees have only 22 game left, and the Sox are 9 back. Plus, they are 7 behind Tampa on the loss side. They can play a spoiler role (and have already done so a bit against the Rays), but the odds of them jumping BOTH teams for the wild-card is unrealistic. Hell, the White Sox have as good a chance of finishing juuuuuust out of it, as they are only one behind your boys for the "also-contended" crown.

VTDragon 09-17-2010 08:07 AM

I know this is ridiculously optimistic .... BUT we're 6 games out of the wild card with 6 games left to play vs. the Yankees ... I'm just looking at the numbers.

The Poet 09-17-2010 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VTDragon (Post 991643)
I know this is ridiculously optimistic .... BUT we're 6 games out of the wild card with 6 games left to play vs. the Yankees ... I'm just looking at the numbers.

Hey, I said it wasn't over long ago, back when most of you guys had given up on your Sox. You still have a decent shot . . . but you'd better not lose more than a few games, because you can't depend on the Yankees to keep dropping close games.

PeteSB75 09-17-2010 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Poet (Post 991682)
Hey, I said it wasn't over long ago, back when most of you guys had given up on your Sox. You still have a decent shot . . . but you'd better not lose more than a few games, because you can't depend on the Yankees to keep dropping close games.

Yankees seem to be dropping most of the games that CC is not pitching. They certainly looked very flat vs Tampa in their last series. The only questions are how long will they keep it up, and can Boston keep winning.

VirtualSmitty 09-17-2010 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeteSB75 (Post 991737)
Yankees seem to be dropping most of the games that CC is not pitching. They certainly looked very flat vs Tampa in their last series. The only questions are how long will they keep it up, and can Boston keep winning.

Flat? That was one of the closest series i've seen all year. And they lost CCs game, they won the game Nova pitched. That series was more about excellent pitching by both sides, offense on either side couldn't do much.

The Poet 09-17-2010 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VirtualSmitty (Post 991747)
Flat? That was one of the closest series i've seen all year. And they lost CCs game, they won the game Nova pitched. That series was more about excellent pitching by both sides, offense on either side couldn't do much.

And, not to make excuses, but the series against the Rangers was played like playoff games too. Hell, in one of those games the Texas coaches and manager went to the mound about twenty times, and they used more pitchers than regular fielders and batters. The game took foooooooooooorevvvvvvvvvvvver!

Bruins Fan 12-04-2010 02:07 PM

Sox deal for Adrian Gonzalez, this guy is going to tear up the AL. :tu

massphatness 12-04-2010 02:08 PM

I like this move, but I wish we still had Martinez too.

Bruins Fan 12-04-2010 02:12 PM

I think this is the first shoe to drop, with the ML winter meetings next week lets see what happens?

timo 12-04-2010 04:56 PM

Now get Crawford

MedicCook 12-04-2010 09:43 PM

That is a good pickup for the Red Sox. Sounds like they did not give much up to get him either.

pnoon 12-04-2010 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MedicCook (Post 1082917)
That is a good pickup for the Red Sox. Sounds like they did not give much up to get him either.

Tell me about it. Sheesh.

Bruins Fan 12-05-2010 02:58 PM

S. I. has reported that the deal for Gonzalez has fallen through :sh

Bruins Fan 12-06-2010 02:15 AM

ESPN reports the deal is done with a press conference @ 11:00 am. :tu

kugie 12-06-2010 03:11 AM

They get the deal done. They had to do something.
http://www.boston.com/sports/basebal...p1=Upbox_links

VTDragon 12-06-2010 10:53 AM

We still need some bullpen help

Bunker 12-06-2010 11:12 AM

I can't believe how much Washington gave Jason Werth (who apparently is ready to retire without ever seeing the playoffs again), there goes the price for Crawford.

dogface_313 12-06-2010 08:13 PM

Things are looking up for Sox.

Bunker 12-09-2010 03:08 AM

So let's see, without any more moves my guess for a line-up:

Crawford -CF
Pedroia - 2b
Gonzalez - 1b
Youklis - 3b
Ortiz - DH
Drew - RF