Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Coffee Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Who has a Keurig coffee pot? (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=26693)

tobii3 12-27-2010 06:47 AM

Re: Who has a Keurig coffee pot?

Add me to the list of new owners.

Apparently it was a combined effort from the wife and cousin - Got the brewer (B60) 3 "My KCups" and at best guess, 300+ "cups" - (I think they robbed the department store) Seriously, now my kitchen makes the waiting room lounge at the Infiniti dealership look cheap. :r

alley00p 12-27-2010 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waffle (Post 1094164)
Had not seen that... here's their website... looks pretty promising.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wayner123 (Post 1094068)
Do any of you have the 'Perfect Pod Holster'? It seems you can open up another 200+ coffee's and less mess than the 'My K-Cup'.

Has anyone ever tried a product called the ""MyKap"? I've seen it advertised on my gmail account. Apparently, it's a small, round hard plastic cover that you snap on top of a used K-cup, after cleaning and refilling. their website is here: MyKap

I was just wondering.... :)

Charlie

wayner123 12-27-2010 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alley00p (Post 1108378)
Has anyone ever tried a product called the ""MyKap"? I've seen it advertised on my gmail account. Apparently, it's a small, round hard plastic cover that you snap on top of a used K-cup, after cleaning and refilling. their website is here: MyKap

Charlie

I haven't personally used it, but I have watched a few video reviews. It seems like it's more of a pain than the my K-cup. As you have to remove the foil then clean out the small cup first. There also seems to be a good amount of carry over on flavor as the paper filter that was used previously is saturated with the previous flavor/blend.

tobii3 12-27-2010 07:55 AM

Just looked at it oop - only thing is, how many times can the bottom of the cup be punctured?

Hey wayner!

Did you notice they sell "baby" filters as well??

wayner123 12-27-2010 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tobii3 (Post 1108394)
Just looked at it oop - only thing is, how many times can the bottom of the cup be punctured?

Hey wayner!

Did you notice they sell "baby" filters as well??

You can align the bottom hole up with the needle so that you use the same hole.

Dave128 12-27-2010 09:04 AM

I just got one for Christmas as well. So far, so good.

waffle 12-27-2010 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alley00p (Post 1108378)

Charlie

Taking a look at those versus the Make Your own K-cup, I think I'd rather have the Make your own K-Cup... we actually returned the K-Cup unit Keurig sells and I'm ordering the make your own... no switching out the unit, etc and it uses tiny filters which makes the cleanup easier... just my 1.5 cents!!!

wayner123 12-27-2010 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waffle (Post 1108708)
Taking a look at those versus the Make Your own K-cup, I think I'd rather have the Make your own K-Cup... we actually returned the K-Cup unit Keurig sells and I'm ordering the make your own... no switching out the unit, etc and it uses tiny filters which makes the cleanup easier... just my 1.5 cents!!!

I am not sure which one you are talking about. There are a few aftermarket parts:

My K-Cup
My Kap
Perfect Pod Holster
Perfect Pod maker

Which are you talking about?

RatherUneek 12-27-2010 01:05 PM

I bought my fiance one for Christmas. She seems to be enjoying it.

Sawyer 03-17-2011 02:10 PM

I just got two Solofill cups for my Keurig. After a little experimentation with fill level and grind, I am getting pretty damn good coffee out of my Keurig. Which is saying a lot. Works about a hundred times better than the My K-cup. It is definitely on par with a really good regular drip machine and definitely surpasses regular K-cups. Not quite as good as a french press, but it is definitely quicker and cleaner.

wayner123 03-17-2011 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sawyer (Post 1208787)
I just got two Solofill cups for my Keurig. After a little experimentation with fill level and grind, I am getting pretty damn good coffee out of my Keurig. Which is saying a lot. Works about a hundred times better than the My K-cup. It is definitely on par with a really good regular drip machine and definitely surpasses regular K-cups. Not quite as good as a french press, but it is definitely quicker and cleaner.

How does it work better than the My k-cup? It's essentially the same thing, right? IMO, the down side to the My k-cup is washing that screen out. Is the plastic filter easier to clean? I would think that it would be, but then it's a trade off as it would onto stains/flavors more.

The regular K-cups imo are awesome. I have had a few bad coffee's but that's not the fault of the K-Cup, it's more a fault of the blend/roast.

Sawyer 03-17-2011 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wayner123 (Post 1208800)
How does it work better than the My k-cup? It's essentially the same thing, right?

It gets better extraction than the my k-cup. It seems with the my k-cup the water just drills a hole down through the grounds and the majority of the extraction process just comes out as hot water. Not so with the solofill.
Quote:

IMO, the down side to the My k-cup is washing that screen out.

In my opinion, the downside to the my k-cup is a weak ass cup of coffee. Basically that is the downside to the keurig in general. In order to get a decent cup, you have to use 2 k-cups on the lowest water setting. Seems like a waste to me.

Quote:

Is the plastic filter easier to clean? I would think that it would be, but then it's a trade off as it would onto stains/flavors more.

It is not easier to clean, but I dont think that it is in any way hard to clean.

Quote:

The regular K-cups imo are awesome. I have had a few bad coffee's but that's not the fault of the K-Cup, it's more a fault of the blend/roast.

I have tried probably 100 different blends of k-cups and have only ever had a decent cup of coffee. Nothing I would ever brag about or come close to saying it was awesome. With the solofill, it is still not an awesome cup of coffee, but it is a lot closer than I thought this machine could come.

688sonarmen 03-17-2011 07:50 PM

I've heard rumors the Starbucks is canceling their contract with tassimo and going to Keurig. Can anyone confirm?

wayner123 03-17-2011 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sawyer (Post 1209070)
I have tried probably 100 different blends of k-cups and have only ever had a decent cup of coffee. Nothing I would ever brag about or come close to saying it was awesome. With the solofill, it is still not an awesome cup of coffee, but it is a lot closer than I thought this machine could come.

Thanks for your thought out replies. I am by no means an expert on coffee, but it makes it strong enough for me and tastes wonderful, imo.

Do you drink espresso straight?

Sawyer 03-17-2011 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wayner123 (Post 1209094)
Do you drink espresso straight?

Not really all that often. Mostly french press or americanos.

Chainsaw13 03-17-2011 08:32 PM

I've had one of those Solofil's in the cart on Amazon, but never pulled the trigger. Looks like I should finally get it after reading your review Sawyer. Probably should get 2.

Can you expand a bit on your grinding/filling method? From the research I did on the K-Cup, that was the thing most people had trouble with.

68TriShield 03-18-2011 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 688sonarmen (Post 1209093)
I've heard rumors the Starbucks is canceling their contract with tassimo and going to Keurig. Can anyone confirm?

it's true.

taltos 03-18-2011 05:52 AM

Also if anyone here likes any of the Gloria Jean's non-flavored coffees such as Black Gold, Green Mountain will be announcing on April 1 that non-flavored Gloria Jean's coffees will not be available in K-Cups anymore.

Sawyer 03-18-2011 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 (Post 1209123)
I've had one of those Solofil's in the cart on Amazon, but never pulled the trigger. Looks like I should finally get it after reading your review Sawyer. Probably should get 2.

Can you expand a bit on your grinding/filling method? From the research I did on the K-Cup, that was the thing most people had trouble with.

I fill it to the line inside, not all the way to the top, with a grind slightly finer than regular drip. If you get slow extraction, then it is either too fine or packed too tight. Takes a bit of practice.

This guy says he gets a good cup with preground. I dont fill it as full as he does because I find that I get a really slow extraction with the grind I use if I fill it all the way to the top.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA8Zz7toAoE

wayner123 03-18-2011 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taltos (Post 1209351)
Also if anyone here likes any of the Gloria Jean's non-flavored coffees such as Black Gold, Green Mountain will be announcing on April 1 that non-flavored Gloria Jean's coffees will not be available in K-Cups anymore.

I need to stock up on some Black Gold then.