Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   Red Sox Nation -Check In (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=15635)

The Poet 05-03-2010 04:01 PM

Re: Red Sox Nation -Check In

Quote:

Originally Posted by gettysburgfreak (Post 847154)
Tough year so far, really not a good sign coming out of the gate this slowly. Pitching is horrible especially the bullpen. Hitting is pretty bad as well. Tito needs to make a few moves or else this season will turn into a wash by June.

Change that to "Girardi", and you could be talking about my Yankees this time last year. It's freakin' May 3, for Kris'sakes! Anything can happen.

macsauce13 05-03-2010 04:05 PM

Go Yanks!

VTDragon 05-03-2010 09:11 PM

Sox win -score 16 runs! Celtics win, Bruins win. I'll sleep good tonight:)

VTDragon 05-07-2010 09:32 AM

We get swept by the Orioles and then turn around and we sweep the Angels. Who can figure?

Hope we can keep up the good play against the Yankees this weekend. Should be an interesting series.

jmsremax 05-07-2010 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macsauce13 (Post 847880)
Go Yanks!

Boo that man!

taltos 05-07-2010 12:08 PM

Hope that they step up to the plate this weekend.

VirtualSmitty 05-08-2010 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taltos (Post 851966)
Hope that they step up to the plate this weekend.

Looks like the BoSox were just what Tex needed to come out of his slump :r

floydpink 05-08-2010 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VirtualSmitty (Post 853097)
Looks like the BoSox were just what Tex needed to come out of his slump :r

Love it. Much more to come.:banger

ScottieM 05-09-2010 07:29 AM

Wow, It may be early but the Sox really look flat. Hell, Toronto looks better than they do.

VTDragon 05-10-2010 09:38 AM

Sigh ... lost 2 of 3 to the Evil Empire. Just when I hoped the Sox were coming out of their funk. Maybe we'll do better against the Jays.

Bruins Fan 05-10-2010 03:04 PM

Let's face it guys this team is not that good and will not make the playoffs.
The sad part it is not even June.

The Poet 05-10-2010 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruins Fan (Post 854610)

Though it's 'way too early to throw in the towel, you might be right. And it's not just the obvious things either. For instance, your Sox are at the top of the majors in allowing stolen bases, and at the bottom in stealing them yourselves.

One more brick in the monstrous wall you need to scale.

VTDragon 05-10-2010 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruins Fan (Post 854610)
The sad part it is not even June.

Can't give up on 'em yet, remember the Yankees started out slow last year. If the pitching gets hot, (which it should), we have a chance.

tupacboy 05-13-2010 10:32 AM

hey hey hey... where's the faith... remember the angels last year? started at 16-16 and went on to win 90+ games!

our pitching is starting to settle in... same will happen with our hitting...

keep in mind guys... we've been playing horrible and still above .500 (granted its by 1 game)... that's with early injuries... beckett and lester not showing up yet... dice-k getting better...

PeteSB75 05-13-2010 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tupacboy (Post 857645)
hey hey hey... where's the faith... remember the angels last year? started at 16-16 and went on to win 90+ games!

our pitching is starting to settle in... same will happen with our hitting...

keep in mind guys... we've been playing horrible and still above .500 (granted its by 1 game)... that's with early injuries... beckett and lester not showing up yet... dice-k getting better...

Lester has shown up, and with a vengeance. He's been almost untouchable his last three starts. Beckett is completely off the rails though, really gotta wonder what is going with him. Matsuzaka had a good start on Tuesday, and even Wake was good yesterday, just didn't get any run support. Lackey has also been good. Where we are lacking is in the hitting department. We need Ellsbury back, and if they are serious about a playoff run this fall, they will need to sit Ortiz for Lowell, and either hope Cameron starts hitting well or trade for a bat in the outfield.

Bruins Fan 05-13-2010 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeteSB75 (Post 857661)
Lester has shown up, and with a vengeance. He's been almost untouchable his last three starts. Beckett is completely off the rails though, really gotta wonder what is going with him. Matsuzaka had a good start on Tuesday, and even Wake was good yesterday, just didn't get any run support. Lackey has also been good. Where we are lacking is in the hitting department. We need Ellsbury back, and if they are serious about a playoff run this fall, they will need to sit Ortiz for Lowell, and either hope Cameron starts hitting well or trade for a bat in the outfield.

Theo's run prevention is a bunch of crap.
Cameron just plain Suxs, the Brewers let him go, and Beltre for the best third baseman in baseball has a boat load of errors and would have at least a dozen more if not for hometown score keepers?
I think Tampa and the Yanks are just to strong in the AL East?

Bruins Fan 05-27-2010 03:48 AM

What a turn around, playing like crap for a month, to the hottest team in baseball.
The pitching has finely kicked in, they got to keep it up and beat up on the bad teams on this home stand.:tu

PeteSB75 05-27-2010 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruins Fan (Post 870475)
What a turn around, playing like crap for a month, to the hottest team in baseball.
The pitching has finely kicked in, they got to keep it up and beat up on the bad teams on this home stand.:tu

Yeah, hell of a road trip. Hopefully KC won't be too much trouble.

Still down on Beltre? He had a pretty good game last night :ss

TripleF 05-27-2010 07:22 AM

I jumped in this thread when my Rays swept the Sox in April.

I gotta jump in NOW and take my whipping cuz you boys sure swept us like we were a high school team....

PeteSB75 05-27-2010 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripleF (Post 870564)

I gotta jump in NOW and take my whipping cuz you boys sure swept us like we were a high school team....

Gotta say, while I certainly expected them to do better than last time we saw you guys, that was much better than anticipated. Especially Crawford and Maddon getting ejected the other night :tf you guys still have a few games on us and on the yanks, so don't despair. You can still take the wild card :tf

jmsremax 05-27-2010 07:44 AM

Anyone going to tonight's game?

Bruins Fan 05-27-2010 07:45 AM

Beltre, had a great game but I'm not sold on him, the seven errors should be a lot more,
way to many for the so called best fielding third baseman in baseball:confused:
At least the guy can hit, I hope it continues?
The pitching looks a lot better with Beckett sitting out.

PeteSB75 05-28-2010 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruins Fan (Post 870581)
Beltre, had a great game but I'm not sold on him, the seven errors should be a lot more,
way to many for the so called best fielding third baseman in baseball:confused:
At least the guy can hit, I hope it continues?
The pitching looks a lot better with Beckett sitting out.

Last night Matsuzaka looked like the pitcher we've come to know over the past few season. Walking the whole roster.:td

Bruins Fan 05-28-2010 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeteSB75 (Post 871535)
Last night Matsuzaka looked like the pitcher we've come to know over the past few season. Walking the whole roster.:td

That guy is painful to watch :td

VTDragon 05-28-2010 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruins Fan (Post 871760)
That guy is painful to watch :td

I couldn't agree more.

VTDragon 05-28-2010 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripleF (Post 870564)

Sox, Yanks and Rays are going to all be there right through Sept. This looks to be an exciting pennant race this year. Hey the AL East wildcard team will probably have a better record than the other divisions' winners.

Bruins Fan 05-28-2010 04:58 PM

Ellsbury might be going on the DL, he said he hurt his ribs and he came back to soon?
All the talking heads sound like they are trying to run him out of town?
I can see him being pissed, They bring in Cameron to play center who is over the hill and could not keep his job with the Brewers.
Cameron has been hurt most of the season and says he is going to need surgery.
I think they are going to package Ellsbury up to get a slugger?

VTDragon 05-30-2010 05:04 PM

Boy, I hope they don't get rid of Elsbury. He brings a whole new dimension to the team with his speed and it's pretty obvious that we need that added dimension to the offense. Maybe they've got a slugger down in Pawtucket?

Bruins Fan 06-02-2010 02:22 AM

I think I have been a little harsh on Beltre he played like crap the first month.
The guy is red hot now, I hope he keeps it up :D

PeteSB75 06-02-2010 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VTDragon (Post 873484)
Boy, I hope they don't get rid of Elsbury. He brings a whole new dimension to the team with his speed and it's pretty obvious that we need that added dimension to the offense. Maybe they've got a slugger down in Pawtucket?

I think it would be a mistake to get rid of Elsbury. He's a good hitter and a very good centerfielder. Chuck Cameron, not Jacoby. Get Lowell to play left :ss :r

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruins Fan (Post 875423)
I think I have been a little harsh on Beltre he played like crap the first month.
The guy is red hot now, I hope he keeps it up :D

He sign a one or a two year deal?

Bruins Fan 06-02-2010 12:11 PM

Two years for Cameron.

VTDragon 06-08-2010 10:34 AM

Nice to see the Sox have been playing better lately. I do wish that Elsbury were back on the field and that Big Papi were not so inconsistant, (nothing in April - AL Player of the month in May - now nothing so far in June ???). They are fun to watch again.

Now, what is going to happen with Lowell? Clearly he is unhappy and I don't see the current situation extending beyond the trading deadline. Best hope is we can get a decent minor league prospect for him. It will be too bad once he's gone though-he has been a class guy.

VTDragon 06-14-2010 10:06 AM

How about Daniel Nava - now THAT's a major league debut.

We're slowly inching up in the standings...hope springs eternal in New England!

The Poet 06-14-2010 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VTDragon (Post 881117)
Now, what is going to happen with Lowell? Clearly he is unhappy and I don't see the current situation extending beyond the trading deadline. Best hope is we can get a decent minor league prospect for him. It will be too bad once he's gone though-he has been a class guy.

A class guy? OK, I'll grant you he's handled himself pretty well throughout his career. But since his injury he can't run and can't field, and now he can't hit either. As it stands now, I wouldn't give you a decent little league prospect for him . . . and that's really a shame.

VTDragon 06-15-2010 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Poet (Post 886929)
A class guy? OK, I'll grant you he's handled himself pretty well throughout his career. But since his injury he can't run and can't field, and now he can't hit either. As it stands now, I wouldn't give you a decent little league prospect for him . . . and that's really a shame.

Sorry, I've got to disagree...When I say he is a class guy I am referring to how he handles himself with his teammates, management, media and the fans. Many older players react very poorly to the inevitable reduction in their playing time as their skills diminish and become a real distraction in the clubhouse, in the media and utimately become a detriment to the team. Lowel hates his situation but has remained the consumate team player. Notice how often he is the first in the dugout to greet a player who has just scored a run. He never complains to the media (who are constantly quizzing him re: his status) and when he does play, he plays hard. Yes, his range is limited and he runs like I do, but he can still hit and I will be sorry to se him go.

The Poet 06-15-2010 02:28 PM

Sorry, Gary, but I have to disagree with your disagreement. Firstly, I granted your point about him handling himself well, and meant in good part by that the way he has handled his reduced role by not b!tching and becoming a distraction. If I did not spell that out, I apologize, to him and you, but I did imply it. As for the rest, his range has become slightly better than a statue, and his speed is glacial, and you might argue that in tone but not in kind. And his hitting? As of today, he has 12 RBI, 11 BB, 10K, and is batting .215. One can forgive the RBIs, etc., as a factor of his limited appearances, but if he was hitting better than 2 bucks he might get more action.

Hey, I like the guy. But he's toast. Eat the contract, and let some kids earn a slot.

VTDragon 06-16-2010 10:33 AM

No real disagreement on Lowell's diminishing skills...I just will be sorry to see a good guy move on... even though it is clearly time for him to do so. Hey, I hated to see Trot Nixon move on too, but that didn't mean it did not have to happen.

timo 06-18-2010 08:50 PM

One game out of first! GO SOX

VTDragon 06-21-2010 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spitnchew (Post 892120)
One game out of first! GO SOX

...and we swept Manny and the Dodgers to boot:ss

PeteSB75 06-21-2010 02:28 PM

One game out is better than we have been, but still not making the playoffs. Gotta beat them Ray and Yankees, damnit!

VTDragon 06-23-2010 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeteSB75 (Post 894270)
One game out is better than we have been, but still not making the playoffs. Gotta beat them Ray and Yankees, damnit!

Oh ye of little faith. It's not even the All Star game yet. They can both be beat.
Go Sox!

CoventryCat86 06-23-2010 10:17 PM

Jonathan blew one tonight.:confused:

Oh well, ya can't be perfect every outing. He's still awesome and I'll take him on my team (the Astros) anytime.:tu

colimo 06-24-2010 12:52 AM

TUES: ROCKIES 2, SOX 1
WED: ROCKIES 8, SOX 6....

gotta love jason Giambi....:=::tf

VTDragon 06-29-2010 09:26 AM

Call the Medics! Everyone is hurt ... but still in 2nd place.

Ewingrules 06-29-2010 09:36 PM

With all the injuries they still find a way to win.

timo 06-29-2010 09:39 PM

One game out of first place!!

PeteSB75 06-30-2010 06:51 AM

Let me know when it's September and we're a game out :xxx

Nice to see the yankees lose to the mariners and us beat up on the rays though :tu

VTDragon 07-02-2010 01:45 PM

Now Varitek has a broken foot too!

Medic, medic, medic, medic -Help!

PeteSB75 07-07-2010 06:54 AM

Youk injured last night. I'll be playing first tonight against the rays. Look for me standing on base with a cigar in my mouth...

Subvet642 07-07-2010 09:20 AM

Who were those guys wearing Red Sox uniforms last night? I hardly recognised any of them. :<