Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Wine, Beer, and Spirits (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   What beers are you enjoying? (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=309)

AAlmeter 01-26-2009 10:26 PM

Re: What beers are you enjoying?

I had the pleasure of hanging out with the Great Lakes Brewery reps tonight.

As a background, the bar I frequent brought this brand (out of Cleveland) to the area (Buffalo)....literally. Before they became popular, he would drive to Cleveland or Erie to pick up a keg at a time, long story short they are now in many bars and also in all of our supermarkets.

Naturally, I had some of their beers, mainly the Edmund Fitzgerald Porter. I truly enjoy that as well as all of their non-wheat beers.

They will be coming out with two new beers for any of you in the area, a German inspired beer (little info) called Glockenspiel and a seasonal Marzen style beer (also little info).

BP22 01-26-2009 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newcigarz (Post 184872)
I just finished up a 6-pack of Dogfish Chicory Stout. very nice .

I've got a bottle of Ommegang Three Philosophers chillin in the fridge for tonight.

Thursday night I drank a few Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA's on draft during our anniversary dinner...so good! :chr

SmokinDuck 01-26-2009 11:37 PM

Just opened a Red Stripe.

Heatmiser 01-27-2009 12:46 AM

It was the wifes birthday today and we enjoyed two bottles of the Chimay Blue and Red as well as a few Stone IPA's with some friends...

ActionAndy 01-27-2009 01:03 AM

I think it was mentioned earlier but Young's Double Chocolate Stout is pretty damn good...

yellowgoat 01-27-2009 01:30 AM

Been drinking Pilsner Urquell exclusively as of late.

FriskyDingo 01-27-2009 07:02 AM

Recently I've been drinking:

Ommegang Chocolate Indulgence
Goose Island Nut Brown Ale
Sam Adams Winter Lager
Guinness

Skywalker 01-27-2009 07:19 AM

Sierra Nevada just released there Torpedo Extra IPA (India Pale Ale)!!! This one is hoppy with some pine and citrus notes!!!

Not my favorite SN but a good one!!!

Partagaspete 01-27-2009 10:44 AM

I am actually enjoying some cider, Magners Irish cider to be specific. Nice change from beer.

T

ActionAndy 01-27-2009 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Partagaspete (Post 195408)
I am actually enjoying some cider, Magners Irish cider to be specific. Nice change from beer.

T

I love Magner's. I think it's also known as Bulmer's in Ireland. Try Strongbow if you see it.

smokeyandthebandit05 01-27-2009 06:56 PM

Ive been drinkin alot of Sam Adams. Ive been into the winter sampler packs and so far the only one I dont like is the cranberry lambic and the cream stout bein my favorite, I also like the Holiday porter

Ace$nyper 01-27-2009 07:03 PM

Dog fish head 90 min IPA tonight.

smokeyandthebandit05 01-27-2009 08:59 PM

Workin on a Sam Adams Cream Stout right now. Damn these are good!

----------------
Now playing: Crossin Dixon - Guitar Slinger
via FoxyTunes

icehog3 01-27-2009 10:34 PM

Had a few Harp Lagers at the Metallica concert last night....the venue didn't have Guinness. :mad:

Nick 01-27-2009 11:04 PM

Sam Adams Cream Stout is good. The only Sam Adams beer I like in fact.

SmokinDuck 01-27-2009 11:21 PM

Paulander Original Munich that my brother gave me for Christmas.

It's pretty yummy.

WhoDeySchenk 01-28-2009 05:40 AM

Belhaven Twisted Thistle (india pale ale)
Young's Double Chocolate Stout - plain YUM!

Caymus 01-29-2009 08:34 AM

There's a beer from Full Sail Brewing Co that I had lately called "Session Lager" in short stubby bottles....thought it was great.

I used to be in the wine/beer/liquor business as a rep and knew Sam Calagione when he started Dogfish. Great guy, great product...I just wish I could get the flagship Dogfish Pale Ale where I'm living now.

VirtualSmitty 01-29-2009 10:05 AM

Orval early this morning :r

newcigarz 01-29-2009 12:08 PM

I bought a couple Ommegang samplers that had a Hennepin, Chocolate Indulgence and a Three Philosphers. It also came with a glass. I love all three
of these beers

I also bought some Stone Brews. Ruination IPA, Arrogant Bastard, Double Bastard, and Smoked Porter.

smokeyandthebandit05 01-29-2009 08:41 PM

I dont really like lite beers but if I had to drink one and tonight I am. Im currently workin on finishing a 40 of miller lite. I wish I had the 750 of Rouge Imperial red ale but as of now this is all I got...

Steelergar 01-30-2009 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokinDuck (Post 197402)
Paulander Original Munich that my brother gave me for Christmas.

It's pretty yummy.

One of my favs, I swear that I can taste bacon as an aftertaste in this beer.

tenbaseg 01-30-2009 05:57 PM

Sam Adams winter lager. Great brew.

Partagaspete 01-31-2009 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ActionAndy (Post 195479)
I love Magner's. I think it's also known as Bulmer's in Ireland. Try Strongbow if you see it.

Bulmers is similar but a different brand. Strongbow is a staple in every pub I've been in here. It is good also but it is different than the other two. Not as sweet with a dry finish.

You need be wrned this stuff may seem like a girlie drink but can sneak up and knock you on your arse.

T

smokeyandthebandit05 01-31-2009 10:54 PM

Im still really enjoying the Sam Adams winter brew pack, workin on my fourth and really like em all minus the cranberry lambic. If I wanted an ale and cranberry juice I would go get some damn ocean spray!!

acarr 02-01-2009 08:53 AM

Coors light, It has a complexity unlike any of the before mentioned beers:ss

kaisersozei 02-01-2009 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acarr (Post 208141)
Coors light, It has a complexity unlike any of the before mentioned beers:ss

:r

I picked up a 6pack of Flying Dog Snake Dog IPA. Not bad, it lists 7.1% alc & 60 IBU, but I think it's a bit on the malty side. Doesn't compare to Victory Hop Devil, which I'm also drinking these days.

On the look out for that Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA that skywalker mentioned recently--hope it's not just a local Chico brew :(

acarr 02-01-2009 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaisersozei (Post 208287)

I picked up a 6pack of Flying Dog Snake Dog IPA. Not bad, it lists 7.1% alc & 60 IBU, but I think it's a bit on the malty side. Doesn't compare to Victory Hop Devil, which I'm also drinking these days.
:(

Or Coors Light!

Geppetto 02-01-2009 01:53 PM

Well after being Pimped at the Cincy Herf, I've become a Bells Hopslam Ale dirty ho.
Great stuff although $$$.

Skywalker 02-01-2009 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaisersozei (Post 208287)

On the look out for that Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA that skywalker mentioned recently--hope it's not just a local Chico brew :(

You need to move to the West Coast!!!:D

Sauer Grapes 02-01-2009 03:05 PM

Just try Flying Dog's Double Dog Double Pale Ale. It'll be hoppy enough for you.

SilverFox 02-01-2009 03:07 PM

Black Cat Ale

leasingthisspace 02-01-2009 03:29 PM

I started with a Circus Boy made by Magic Hat. Smooth and lemony. It went well with dinner.

kaisersozei 02-01-2009 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sauer Grapes (Post 208781)
Just try Flying Dog's Double Dog Double Pale Ale. It'll be hoppy enough for you.

I passed that over for the IPA--for the same price I went with quantity (6 vs 4pk) over quality. Maybe I'll get some tomorrow!

yourchoice 02-01-2009 08:33 PM

Super Bowl Sunday selection - not necessarily in this order:

Dogfish Head 60 min
Victory Hop Devil
Samuel Adams Black Lager
Victory Old Horizontal Barley Wine
Flying Fish ESB

Overall, a good beer day! :al

groogs 02-01-2009 09:36 PM

Had a few Coronas while watching the game.

jquirit 02-01-2009 11:07 PM

Cracked open my bottle of Root's Epic Ale during the Superbowl, and it was epic (both the beer and the game.. crazy finish). It was quite fruity in the finish, almost wine-like in some ways. It's probably too "sweet" for most beer drinkers, but I found it to be a fine sipping beer. Also helps since it's also somewhere around 13-14% ABV, so going slow is good (unless you're aiming to get sloshed very quickly). Due to it's seasonal availability and it's high cost (about $22 for a 22 oz bottle), it's one of those beers that I'll do once a year.

Drat 02-02-2009 08:11 AM

I had the Brooklyn Black Ops last night. Limited release bourbon barrel aged chocolate stout. It's similar to the black chocolate stout, but smoother and has that great bourbon barrel aftertaste. Highly recommended if you have $20 to spend on a 750ml bottle...

JohnnyKay5 02-02-2009 08:28 AM

Alot of the Ommenang line right now. Belgian Style brew that works with Duvel to produce some pretty tasty beers. Three Philosophers (9.8% alcohol bomb, redish ale brewed with a hint of cherry), Chocolate Indulgence (A great chocolate stout hitting at 7%), Hennipin (lager like if i remember correctly around 7.7%) the Ommenangdon is a citriousy wheat like brew at 8% and the Abby ale was a very good dark lager like brew at 8.5%.

smokeyandthebandit05 02-02-2009 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leasingthisspace (Post 208817)
I started with a Circus Boy made by Magic Hat. Smooth and lemony. It went well with dinner.

When I first tried these I didnt like it but the more I drank em, it got better and better and better.

Skywalker 02-02-2009 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smokeyandthebandit05 (Post 209873)
When I first tried these I didnt like it but the more I drank em, it got better and better and better.

I find this to be true about almost any beer!!! The more I drink the better I like!!!:D

leasingthisspace 02-03-2009 09:54 AM

I am looking forward to being back in Cali and getting some OAKED Arrogant Bastard Ale. It is so good.

newcigarz 02-03-2009 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyKay5 (Post 209777)
Alot of the Ommenang line right now. Belgian Style brew that works with Duvel to produce some pretty tasty beers. Three Philosophers (9.8% alcohol bomb, redish ale brewed with a hint of cherry), Chocolate Indulgence (A great chocolate stout hitting at 7%), Hennipin (lager like if i remember correctly around 7.7%) the Ommenangdon is a citriousy wheat like brew at 8% and the Abby ale was a very good dark lager like brew at 8.5%.

Did you buy that three pack sampler with the glass?

leasingthisspace 02-18-2009 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leasingthisspace (Post 212173)
I am looking forward to being back in Cali and getting some OAKED Arrogant Bastard Ale. It is so good.

So tasty with a smoke.

PinkPistol86 02-19-2009 07:27 PM

I like Leinenkugel's Wheat, Chimay, Blue Moon, and if I have to it is Michelob Ultra or Bud Light.

PinkPistol86 02-19-2009 07:29 PM

If you are looking for a good place to drink beer, I can recommend the Flying Saucer. It is a great place with many beer choices. www.beerknurd.com for locations.

kaisersozei 02-21-2009 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skywalker (Post 194898)
Sierra Nevada just released there Torpedo Extra IPA (India Pale Ale)!!! This one is hoppy with some pine and citrus notes!!!

Not my favorite SN but a good one!!!

Holy crap this stuff is good! I like it much better than the original SN PA and that's one of my favorite go-to IPAs. And it's only $1 more/six pack. :dance: Thanks for the heads' up on this one, Darrell!

beamish 02-21-2009 08:34 AM

Sam adams light the best light beer ever....:ss.......they know what they are doing...

Teeznutz 02-21-2009 11:50 AM

Had Costa Rican beer.....Imperial........Puro Vida!!

cort 02-21-2009 12:10 PM

Sierra Nevada E.S.B. (Early Spring Beer). This stuff is crazy good.