Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Whats in your bowl? (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=128)

Nick 09-02-2014 10:59 AM

Re: Whats in your bowl?

Scottish cake in a bjarne viking.

WaRevo 09-03-2014 12:18 PM

Today smoking Treasures of Ireland by Dan Tobacco in my Dr. Grabow Golden Duke. Finished off with a Raspberry Macha.

James

RHNewfie 09-03-2014 02:53 PM

Butternut Burley these days.

TXSmokey 09-03-2014 05:53 PM

H&H larry's blend
MM American patriot

TXSmokey 09-05-2014 04:07 PM

Ole Shenandoah
Hillands Black Gold

WaRevo 09-05-2014 06:33 PM

Smoking a MM Straight COB acquired today. Virginia Gold Tobacco. Got a 9oz bag today as something to smoke between my Non OTC smoking times. This Tobacco is ok for a Bulk OTC Lane LTD tobacco. Smooth, nice room note burns little hot in a cob. But this is only to get me through until I get my normal everyday go to in.

Happy Smoking
James

OnePyroTec 09-10-2014 06:47 AM

Been smoking H&H White Knight in cobs & meers this week.

WaRevo 09-10-2014 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnePyroTec (Post 1985631)
Been smoking H&H White Knight in cobs & meers this week.

There is a new Tobacco I haven't seen yet. I love the H&H Blackhouse, House of Lords, 10 to Midnight, daybreak to name a few and my wife and son like more then I do but the Distinguished Penguin! There is more just can't think of them all right now. TO many tobaccos to remember. Guess one I will need to check out on my next order. However I will have to buy from the other site. Seeing I have Been getting my orders from one that don't carry it. Looking at the other retailer I order from time to time they have it. I know That is where I found most of the H&H line. oh yeah stogie, Sunjammer and how could i forget meat candy lol

Anyway smoking my last bowl of House of Lords in my Kudu 73 covered in leather. Enjoy your day all

James

OnePyroTec 09-10-2014 02:51 PM

I'm assuming you know Russ's story behind the Black House and the White Knight blends. I'd be happy to send you a sample of the White Knight no strings attached.

WaRevo 09-10-2014 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnePyroTec (Post 1985757)
I'm assuming you know Russ's story behind the Black House and the White Knight blends. I'd be happy to send you a sample of the White Knight no strings attached.

I did hear about the one for the BlackHouse. I didn't know it was under the same for WhiteKnight blend as well. I would love to try some if you have a little sample to spare! Just remember no kind deed goes unpunished LOL.

James

OnePyroTec 09-10-2014 03:26 PM

I have plenty of it on hand. PM me your address and I'll get some in the mail.

It is one blend I keep a large jar of and don't plan on aging it. Russ in my opinion made a time machine with the blends. The Black House is what Balkan Sobranie, in his blending wizardry, had aged to after twenty + years as you know, and the White Knight is what he remembers Balkan Sobranie being in the late 70's. I WAS lucky enough to have it months before the official release. It is a blend that Russ is really proud of.

WaRevo 09-10-2014 03:55 PM

Thank you
Well I will say for sure that BlackHouse so far is my 10000000% favorite tobacco. Liked it so much that I have even gifted a few tins to people in the past so they could enjoy life like I was.

Thank you
James

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnePyroTec (Post 1985763)
I have plenty of it on hand. PM me your address and I'll get some in the mail.

It is one blend I keep a large jar of and don't plan on aging it. Russ in my opinion made a time machine with the blends. The Black House is what Balkan Sobranie, in his blending wizardry, had aged to after twenty + years as you know, and the White Knight is what he remembers Balkan Sobranie being in the late 70's. I WAS lucky enough to have it months before the official release. It is a blend that Russ is really proud of.

WaRevo 09-11-2014 01:01 PM

Today going through my desk I found some Tobacco that has been in here since 2009ish, I am not sure if it was Dec 09 or feb 10 somewhere between there I was sent some things from Holland and UK from a friend.

Anyway I thought I had long smoked all this tobacco and happy that I had just over a bowl left of some (Gawith, Hoggarth & Co) Coffee Caramel. That is what I am told it was from the UK. This tobacco was a nice treat today with my AM Coffee. I do admit I liked it more then my coffee. Ash in pipe and still 3/4 cup full of coffee..

i did find this tobacco to be alittle on the wet side, Smoked alittle hot in my slight caked Arlington Standard pipe. Ran 3 pipe cleaners through the pipe while smoking to keep it clean. I spent the better part of 2 hours smoking this. I found this to be a little light on the Coffee and very caramel rich in taste. Now I just need to find some more of this tobacco.

Hope you all enjoy your day
James

WaRevo 09-18-2014 09:33 PM

Hello all, Starting a bowl of Hearth & Home White Knight. In a Interesting Medico Apollo Brylon pipe. The tobacco taste great in every type of Pipe I have tried it in. Brylon, Briar, Meerschaum and Cob. So far great tobacco in all of them.

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/h...ps5ed36de9.jpg

Col. Kurtz 09-19-2014 08:46 PM

PS luxury navy flake followed by McClelland's Beacon Extra. BE is a hearty, sweet, meaty Vaper. Heavy on the Perique. Lovely

OnePyroTec 09-19-2014 09:20 PM

This pipe loaded with And So To Bed. I altered the mouthpiece since the picture was taken. It now has a 1/4 bend.
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/pictur...pictureid=8560

WaRevo 09-20-2014 04:31 PM

Smoking a Special Blend from a brother, Without giving out amount I will just give the Tobaccos that are in it. Yellow Virginia, Orientals, Red Virginia, Latakia and some Perique. Smoking in a Dr. Grabow. Love this pipe and this TOBACCO. It smokes great in everything I have smoked it in. This tobacco has a Great Finish long lasting. In all honesty I could really cut down on how much I smoke tobacco by smoking this blend 2 times a day. I would be content. My wife loves the smell and while she was smoking a bowl says it is very smooth. For me this is close to House of Lords my Fav however there is no Turkish in this and no Perique in House of Lords so are different beasts. Yummm

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/h...pspenteyru.jpg

WaRevo 09-20-2014 07:36 PM

Smoking some Hearth & Home Fusilier's Ration in a Dr. Grabow Royal Duke. beautiful Tobacco..

James

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/h...psigvzjcud.jpg

WaRevo 09-21-2014 12:03 AM

Today has been a Grabow day. 8 pipes today. No smoking tomorrow or monday. We will see about Monday lol
Tonight smoking some Frog Morton on the Town, In a Vintage Dr. Grabow wire carved Starfire Bulldog. This pipe smokes great. and this Blend is perfect in this pipe. Truth is I haven't found a pipe I own that I can't smoke H&H or Frog Morton in yet.

James
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/h...ps0jvmued2.jpg

WaRevo 09-21-2014 09:21 PM

Well come to find out today I can smoke. Until tonight at midnight my time. So I am and have been taking advantage of that. Just have to wait to see what tomorrow brings after my hope brief stay under the DOC. So right now I am smoking some Hearth & Home Fusilier's Ration in a Dr. Grabow Golden Duke. Going to have to find a Gold Plate person to make the band gold again. For the age this pipe don't look to bad..

James

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/h...psz1qupe5p.jpg

WaRevo 09-22-2014 09:37 PM

Today was a slow day for Pipe smoking. I am on my First. Was in Day Surgery at 9:15 out by 1pm, After a couple hour nap and a small dinner. I thought I would get back into the mix of things with my First Pipe, an Arlington Standard filled with some F&K Lancer Slices.
For me this is a Nice Va/Lat for me it seems very heavy on the Latakia. Not a Every day type of tobacco. One that I could put in my Rotation 2 or 4 times a week.
James

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/h...psr8ymlwg8.jpg

WaRevo 09-23-2014 08:58 PM

Smoking a MM Cob some nice Orlik Golden Sliced. Smooth pipe, Smooth blend.

James

Subvet642 09-24-2014 05:04 AM

I'm giving pipes another try so I had some Dunhill Nightcap in a Grabow Silver Duke ¼ bent apple I just picked up. I like the smaller bowl on this. It was very good! I have another couple of estate pipes on the way. They're in really nice shape and I shouldn't have to do anything more than clean them. I have high hopes this time around as I have learned to dry out the baccy a bit first and it seems to have worked well. It was probably one of the most enjoyable pipes I've smoked; it was nice and cool and dry. :tu

mahtofire14 09-24-2014 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Subvet642 (Post 1988445)
I'm giving pipes another try so I had some Dunhill Nightcap in a Grabow Silver Duke ¼ bent apple I just picked up. I like the smaller bowl on this. It was very good! I have another couple of estate pipes on the way. They're in really nice shape and I shouldn't have to do anything more than clean them. I have high hopes this time around as I have learned to dry out the baccy a bit first and it seems to have worked well. It was probably one of the most enjoyable pipes I've smoked; it was nice and cool and dry. :tu

Dunhill Nightcap.......:dr

ApexAZ 09-24-2014 05:10 PM

I definitely seem to have the most luck with the English blends. I have a lot of tobacco and a few pipes coming. About 2/3 of the way through my tin of GLP Stratford and I'm excited to try some different VaPer blends. I'm particularly excited for the Escudo. I see that being tossed around on just about every forum and review site there is.

OnePyroTec 09-24-2014 08:50 PM

Loaded up a cob today with something that is from 2004 or before and never had enough time to go outside to sit long enough to smoke it. On the go all day long. MAYBE in the next couple of hours or in the morning.

I truly do not know what the tobacco is. A friend of mine gave me his pipe tobacco in 2004 and this is from one of the bags which were not marked. Chances are it is not going to be smoked completely. So far, a couple of the "no name" bags haven't been worth keeping IMHO.

ApexAZ 09-24-2014 09:56 PM

Got my new Mark Twain cob today. It is rather large with a smaller bowl. The walls are the thickest I've ever seen on a cob. Since the bowl is fairly narrow, I'm going to dedicate it to Virginia's.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3870/...bafce88934.jpgNew Mark Twain cob by brianhusk, on Flickr

WaRevo 09-24-2014 10:12 PM

Brian, That is an interesting looking Cob, Congrats. Hope it is a great smoker.

James

ApexAZ 09-24-2014 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WaRevo (Post 1988615)
Brian, That is an interesting looking Cob, Congrats. Hope it is a great smoker.

James

James,

Thanks!

The first bowl seems to be smoking really smooth and sweet. I decided to leave the filter in for now, until I can get a new stem for it. My thoughts were the filter may help with some of the residues or other junk left over in the bowl. I don't think I've ever used a filter, but I gotta say it doesn't really seem to reduce the flavor at all, from what I can tell. Is it better to use a filter? What's the point?

Brian

MarkinAZ 09-25-2014 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApexAZ (Post 1988613)

That's a great looking Mark Twain cob Brian. I like the thick walls on the bowl. Here's some measurements on the diameter and inside bowl depth:

Chamber diameter: .75 in/19.05 mm
Chamber depth: 1.625 in/41.275 mm

I've never used a filter myself, but you may want to go ahead and smoke a few bowls with the filter, then remove the filter and smoke a few more bowls of the same pipe tobacco to ascertain if there is indeed a difference.

Again, nice looking cob my friend:tu

WaRevo 09-25-2014 01:41 AM

Great advise from Mark there, I would smoke a few with and a few without and see what one you like better. I know that there are some people that smoke really fast and hard. They tend to like the filters to help keep the tobacco or ash from getting into the mouth. Under normal use I like to smoke without the filter. If I am going to mow the lawn or do something where I can forget to take it slow I too use a filter just in case I draw to hard. I don't like ash in the mouth lol... If it is a wet blend, The ash most times don't make it to far past the shank.. Another reason I use a filter if I am out mowing is I don't have to worry about running a pipe cleaner in the pipe. I can just smoke away.

James

ApexAZ 09-25-2014 11:02 AM

Mark--Thanks, I couldn't find the dimensions on the MM site, but admittedly I didn't look very hard either. I thought the bowl would be bigger though. It's not as wide as my country gentleman bowls. It smoked really great though.

James--That's good advice. My forever stems won't take a filter, but I have all the original stems, so maybe I'll keep a few filters on hand for some of the reasons you state. Are you not supposed to run a cleaner though while the filter is in?

I can't wait for my new tobaccos to get delivered.

Col. Kurtz 09-25-2014 12:44 PM

Mixed up some remnant of LNF and Louisiana flake. Sounded good, but it's not.

CoffeeWaterBeer 09-26-2014 03:36 PM

Lord of the Manor in an old yello bole I rehabbed from ebay.

CoffeeWaterBeer 09-28-2014 09:42 AM

Revisited 10 Russians last night. I find the bolder English blends hit a sweet spot with me when beer is flowing (though it could be the cooler nights as well). I do enjoy this plug but I'm happy I had a full belly and a comfy chair.

OnePyroTec 09-28-2014 10:35 PM

Got one pipe in today after the rain stopped. Finished up the last of my Semois in my favorite Meer from BAKI.
http://i926.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps46e05f8c.jpg

WaRevo 09-28-2014 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnePyroTec (Post 1989374)
Got one pipe in today after the rain stopped. Finished up the last of my Semois in my favorite Meer from BAKI.
http://i926.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps46e05f8c.jpg

WOW that is one stunning looking Pipe. Makes my IMP look plain. Very nice. :banger

James

ApexAZ 09-29-2014 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnePyroTec (Post 1989374)

Very nice looking pipe!

I got my PS Luxury Navy Flake in today, so I decided to try a bowl and my allergies went nuts and killed it for me. I have no clue how it tasted.

OnePyroTec 09-29-2014 07:55 AM

Thanks gents! This is the one and only pipe I let my wife help pick/design before buying. The picture doesn't really do it justice either. Hard to tell but all the weaves are actually carved out not just scratched on the surface.

http://i926.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps7339e459.jpg

ApexAZ 09-29-2014 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnePyroTec (Post 1989431)
Thanks gents! This is the one and only pipe I let my wife help pick/design before buying. The picture doesn't really do it justice either. Hard to tell but all the weaves are actually carved out not just scratched on the surface.

Wow, beautiful. I was reading about meerschaum pipes earlier and Wikipedia said some people use gloves, or some sort of leather holder to ensure an even stain. Do you do this? I looked at a site selling baki pipes, and at $300 it seems like you would want to do this?

WaRevo 09-29-2014 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnePyroTec (Post 1989431)

That is awesome looking Meer. Most are a work of Art but yours is an amazing work of Art. Congrats on the pipe. Can't wait to see it in 10 years and see the colors that it does between. One thing I have to say I learned about mine. If you stop smoking it it stops coloring. I need to make sure mine stays on a normal rotation of some very wet blends LOL. hearth & Home don't do much for coloring in my book anyway..

James

hammondc 09-29-2014 02:56 PM

C&D Autumn Evening. Its pipe season again. I really need to start smoking something different. I just love this one though.....maples in general I guess

OnePyroTec 09-29-2014 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApexAZ (Post 1989482)
Wow, beautiful. I was reading about meerschaum pipes earlier and Wikipedia said some people use gloves, or some sort of leather holder to ensure an even stain. Do you do this? I looked at a site selling baki pipes, and at $300 it seems like you would want to do this?

This pipe was a little more than $300, but I don't wear gloves. On one hand, yes, it is a work of art. On the other hand, no, I don't worry about how it is going to color even or not. I tried holding it at the stem the first time I smoked it...too damn heavy hold that way for the entire smoke so I hold it like every other pipe I have. :tu

ApexAZ 09-29-2014 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnePyroTec (Post 1989552)
This pipe was a little more than $300, but I don't wear gloves. On one hand, yes, it is a work of art. On the other hand, no, I don't worry about how it is going to color even or not. I tried holding it at the stem the first time I smoked it...too damn heavy hold that way for the entire smoke so I hold it like every other pipe I have. :tu

That's cool, I can appreciate that. I'd probably do that too :)

I'm smoking a bowl of GLP Laurel Heights tonight. My allergies are still giving me problems, but not quite as bad as last night.

Subvet642 09-30-2014 12:04 PM

Just finished a bowl of Ashton Consummate Gentleman mixed with some Peterson's Irish Flake in my new (estate) e Cabinet rusticated Dublin(?) ¼ bend. It's an excellent smoker; very few re-lights. Next up is some Penzance that I've got drying a bit. I'm hoping that my new(estate) Commodore Canadian shows up today.

WaRevo 09-30-2014 01:00 PM

Smoking some Yummmy Hearth & Home Whiteknight in a small bulldog. Love this no name made in Czech pipe. Just the right size for the last bit of the Whiteknight I had left..

James

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/h...psgjlumpht.jpg

ApexAZ 10-03-2014 10:18 PM

GLP Gaslight

OnePyroTec 10-04-2014 04:36 PM

I was going to toss some unknown tobacco I really didn't care much for but I couldn't do it. Instead I have been smoking in (just finished last bowl) in a modified MM Country Gent cob with bamboo shank and mini warden stem.

Now to start another jar of unknown tobacco. <<<sigh>>>

Col. Kurtz 10-04-2014 07:44 PM

Luxury twist flake

ApexAZ 10-06-2014 02:28 PM

Had a bowl of GLP Barbary Coast on the way in. Now smoking a bowl of SG St. James Flake. I like this stuff a lot. It seems to be heavier on the perique compared to the Stratford.