Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Coffee Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Who has a Keurig coffee pot? (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=26693)

wayner123 03-17-2011 02:19 PM

Re: Who has a Keurig coffee pot?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sawyer (Post 1208787)
I just got two Solofill cups for my Keurig. After a little experimentation with fill level and grind, I am getting pretty damn good coffee out of my Keurig. Which is saying a lot. Works about a hundred times better than the My K-cup. It is definitely on par with a really good regular drip machine and definitely surpasses regular K-cups. Not quite as good as a french press, but it is definitely quicker and cleaner.

How does it work better than the My k-cup? It's essentially the same thing, right? IMO, the down side to the My k-cup is washing that screen out. Is the plastic filter easier to clean? I would think that it would be, but then it's a trade off as it would onto stains/flavors more.

The regular K-cups imo are awesome. I have had a few bad coffee's but that's not the fault of the K-Cup, it's more a fault of the blend/roast.

Sawyer 03-17-2011 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wayner123 (Post 1208800)
How does it work better than the My k-cup? It's essentially the same thing, right?

It gets better extraction than the my k-cup. It seems with the my k-cup the water just drills a hole down through the grounds and the majority of the extraction process just comes out as hot water. Not so with the solofill.
Quote:

IMO, the down side to the My k-cup is washing that screen out.

In my opinion, the downside to the my k-cup is a weak ass cup of coffee. Basically that is the downside to the keurig in general. In order to get a decent cup, you have to use 2 k-cups on the lowest water setting. Seems like a waste to me.

Quote:

Is the plastic filter easier to clean? I would think that it would be, but then it's a trade off as it would onto stains/flavors more.

It is not easier to clean, but I dont think that it is in any way hard to clean.

Quote:

The regular K-cups imo are awesome. I have had a few bad coffee's but that's not the fault of the K-Cup, it's more a fault of the blend/roast.

I have tried probably 100 different blends of k-cups and have only ever had a decent cup of coffee. Nothing I would ever brag about or come close to saying it was awesome. With the solofill, it is still not an awesome cup of coffee, but it is a lot closer than I thought this machine could come.

688sonarmen 03-17-2011 07:50 PM

I've heard rumors the Starbucks is canceling their contract with tassimo and going to Keurig. Can anyone confirm?

wayner123 03-17-2011 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sawyer (Post 1209070)
I have tried probably 100 different blends of k-cups and have only ever had a decent cup of coffee. Nothing I would ever brag about or come close to saying it was awesome. With the solofill, it is still not an awesome cup of coffee, but it is a lot closer than I thought this machine could come.

Thanks for your thought out replies. I am by no means an expert on coffee, but it makes it strong enough for me and tastes wonderful, imo.

Do you drink espresso straight?

Sawyer 03-17-2011 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wayner123 (Post 1209094)
Do you drink espresso straight?

Not really all that often. Mostly french press or americanos.

Chainsaw13 03-17-2011 08:32 PM

I've had one of those Solofil's in the cart on Amazon, but never pulled the trigger. Looks like I should finally get it after reading your review Sawyer. Probably should get 2.

Can you expand a bit on your grinding/filling method? From the research I did on the K-Cup, that was the thing most people had trouble with.

68TriShield 03-18-2011 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 688sonarmen (Post 1209093)
I've heard rumors the Starbucks is canceling their contract with tassimo and going to Keurig. Can anyone confirm?

it's true.

taltos 03-18-2011 05:52 AM

Also if anyone here likes any of the Gloria Jean's non-flavored coffees such as Black Gold, Green Mountain will be announcing on April 1 that non-flavored Gloria Jean's coffees will not be available in K-Cups anymore.

Sawyer 03-18-2011 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 (Post 1209123)
I've had one of those Solofil's in the cart on Amazon, but never pulled the trigger. Looks like I should finally get it after reading your review Sawyer. Probably should get 2.

Can you expand a bit on your grinding/filling method? From the research I did on the K-Cup, that was the thing most people had trouble with.

I fill it to the line inside, not all the way to the top, with a grind slightly finer than regular drip. If you get slow extraction, then it is either too fine or packed too tight. Takes a bit of practice.

This guy says he gets a good cup with preground. I dont fill it as full as he does because I find that I get a really slow extraction with the grind I use if I fill it all the way to the top.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA8Zz7toAoE

wayner123 03-18-2011 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taltos (Post 1209351)
Also if anyone here likes any of the Gloria Jean's non-flavored coffees such as Black Gold, Green Mountain will be announcing on April 1 that non-flavored Gloria Jean's coffees will not be available in K-Cups anymore.

I need to stock up on some Black Gold then.

Aero95 03-18-2011 09:56 AM

Ive got the K-cup and I found that it used to leaked alot of water. I will have to check out the solo cup.

wayner123 03-18-2011 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aero95 (Post 1209551)
Ive got the K-cup and I found that it used to leaked alot of water. I will have to check out the solo cup.

There are a couple simple fixes for that. One is to buy an O-ring that fits into the indention on the top of the My K-cup. The other one, is to simply take the Oring that is on the needle that punctures the top and slide it down some. make sure not to slide it off. Then put in the My K-Cup, close the top of the unit and it will push it back up into the proper place.

Dave128 03-18-2011 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aero95 (Post 1209551)

Quote:

Originally Posted by wayner123 (Post 1209629)
There are a couple simple fixes for that. One is to buy an O-ring that fits into the indention on the top of the My K-cup. The other one, is to simply take the Oring that is on the needle that punctures the top and slide it down some. make sure not to slide it off. Then put in the My K-Cup, close the top of the unit and it will push it back up into the proper place.

This is what I do and it works like a charm.

Average Joe 03-18-2011 11:21 AM

Has any company made a delicious and pocket friendly hot chocolate for them yet?

Aero95 03-18-2011 11:27 AM

Quote:

Thanks! I will try that this weekend.

Christiel49 03-18-2011 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Average Joe (Post 1209637)
Has any company made a delicious and pocket friendly hot chocolate for them yet?

I believe so. Check their website. I think I recall seeing it @ Christmas time

tenbaseg 03-19-2011 12:27 PM

Anyone excited for the Dunkin Donuts K-Cups this summer?

Chainsaw13 03-19-2011 12:28 PM

First I've heard of that. But me likey. :tu

tenbaseg 03-21-2011 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 (Post 1210659)
First I've heard of that. But me likey. :tu

http://chicagobreakingbusiness.com/2...g-brewers.html

MrsSledn 03-21-2011 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taltos (Post 1209351)

Gloria Jeans seems to be discontinuing alot of the KCup products then. They discontinued some herbal teas last year. I was lucky to find them on Amazon at one point. Now I can't find it anywhere. It's a shame.

Aero95 03-24-2011 08:52 AM

Quote:

I tried it this weekend and it works fine now. Now if I use a regular K-cup with the O-ring being pulled down a bit, will it puncture the foil at all or should I push it up when I use one of those?

Thanks for your help :tu

wayner123 03-24-2011 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aero95 (Post 1215613)
I tried it this weekend and it works fine now. Now if I use a regular K-cup with the O-ring being pulled down a bit, will it puncture the foil at all or should I push it up when I use one of those?

Thanks for your help :tu

By using it with the 'My K-cup' it basically just aligned the o-ring to the proper height. It will now work fine for regular k-cups and may actually improve the extraction of them. You won't need to re-adjust anything.

Aero95 03-24-2011 12:21 PM

Thanks for the help!

Chainsaw13 06-28-2011 06:42 AM

Finally ordered two of the Solofill reuseable k-cups. Decided to give them a try this past weekend and brew up some coffee for iced coffee. Bought a bag of Starbuck's Italian Roast and followed the instructions for filling the cup. Couldn't have been easier to use. And WOW! What great tasting coffee. Seems to have way more body than what you get out of a regular k-cup. Cleanup is a breeze too.

Blak Smyth 06-28-2011 07:19 AM

I too use the Kuerig with the reusable screen.
I find the more course the coffee is ground the better it works.
The really fine coffee seems to get pushed out of the way by the water flow allowing the water to almost pass by the grinds.
I do love my Keurig!

JohnnyFlake 06-28-2011 11:17 AM

Has anyone seen the Tulley's Kona K-Cups online anywhere. I have not been able to find them recently.

wayner123 06-28-2011 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyFlake (Post 1315230)
Has anyone seen the Tulley's Kona K-Cups online anywhere. I have not been able to find them recently.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/15174386?s...i_sku=15174386

or if you really like that blend:

http://www.amazon.com/Tullys-Blend-S.../dp/B000NP10GU

Chainsaw13 06-28-2011 12:24 PM

I'm not a huge coffee drinker and haven't bought any k-cups in a while, but have coffee prices risen that much lately? Seems the average per price k-cup is $.60 and going up. Looking at the links that Wayne posted, the one on Amazon is nearly $1.00/cup. the Walmart deal isn't much better at $.66/cup.

JohnnyFlake 06-28-2011 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wayner123 (Post 1315240)

Thanks for the heads up, but those prices are insane!!!

I will not pay more than .50/.55 ea for K-Cups and that's not too hard to do. The Keurig Site almost always has them in that price range, with free shipping if you spend over $50

wayner123 06-28-2011 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyFlake (Post 1315548)
Thanks for the heads up, but those prices are insane!!!

I will not pay more than .50/.55 ea for K-Cups and that's not too hard to do. The Keurig Site almost always has them in that price range, with free shipping if you spend over $50

Well... you didn't say you wanted them at a certain price... ;s

However, with commodities going up everyday in price, it is going to be harder and harder to find at a "decent" price.

JohnnyFlake 06-28-2011 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wayner123 (Post 1315560)
Well... you didn't say you wanted them at a certain price... ;s

However, with commodities going up everyday in price, it is going to be harder and harder to find at a "decent" price.

Don't be sorry my friend, I appreciate the heads-up!

You sure are right about the above! That's kind of sad because it reality over time the ever increasing cost of the K-Cups with put Keurig out of business with respect to the hard working, so called, middle class!

Old Sailor 06-28-2011 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyFlake (Post 1315230)

bad batch of kona crop this year, no kona at all anywhere!

JohnnyFlake 06-28-2011 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Sailor (Post 1315741)
bad batch of kona crop this year, no kona at all anywhere!

WOW! That's interesting news and sad news at that!

TwiceTheJava 08-11-2011 03:04 PM

I loved my Keurig at first, but I live in an area with hard water, so the maintenance required to keep it from getting clogged is annoying. It got to the point where hitting the large mug button resulted in about 1/3 cup of coffee coming out. It got better after some scouring, but it's already starting to get bad again. I've owned it less than a year.

MrsSledn 08-16-2011 10:18 AM

I went to Dunkin Donuts/Baskin Robbins yesterday to treat my son to some ice cream. And low and behold they are selling their own K Cups. Not like I can drink the stuff being preggers. However, I bought a box of their Dunkin Dark Roast. Pretty pricey though. 14 K Cups for $11.00. Hubby better enjoy those! :)

They have 5 different ones. French Vanilla, Hazelnut, Original, Dark Roast, and a plain Decaf.