Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Wine, Beer, and Spirits (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   What beers are you enjoying? (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=309)

Mark C 12-06-2008 08:44 PM

Re: What beers are you enjoying?

I've got two on-hand right now.

Dogfish Head Chicory Stout - very good, must get more of this stuff. Definitely a must-try for any stout lover.

Lancaster Brewing Co Winter Warmer - High alcohol, but it's too sweet, has a lot of typical barley wine flavors... that I generally don't like. Not quite as bad when it's warm, but I wouldn't buy it again.

VirtualSmitty 12-06-2008 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buena Fortuna (Post 105500)
you mean to tell me that people actually enjoy beer?

Sure. There are some excellent beers out there.

Smoked 12-06-2008 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sauer Grapes (Post 83427)
Pliny rocks.

I had this for the first time just the other night. I was actually taken back by this one. What a fantastic brew.

bigliver 12-06-2008 10:51 PM

For me, I'm going with Bear Republic's Red Rocket Ale, by far my favorite. I'm in with Mean D as well as far as Rogue and Stone go; good brews to be found there. I was in Washington at the Issaquah Brewhouse and got to partake in the re-introduction of Rogue's Yellow Snow Ale. The name and the beer are both interesting.

As it's the Holiday season, I'm also enjoying several seasonals. Rogue's Santa's Private Reserve and Bridgeport's Ebenezer Ale are among rotating heavy in my fridge right now.

Other than that, there are basically two kinds of beer, the beer I buy and the beer I drink. Depending on the situation, the two kinds need not necessarily be the same.

jason

Parrotheadduff 12-07-2008 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoyohio (Post 105520)
Obovoid oatmeal stout by Boulder Beer Company...a pretty damn good oatmeal stout.

Is that a breakfast beer? :r

hoyohio 12-07-2008 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parrotheadduff (Post 106141)

Not in my house...at least not on weekdays...lol.

Actually, you're not that far off. Oatmeal stout was once thought to be good fare for nourishing mothers. And it was also thought to be associated with good health. Oatmeal stouts go back to the 16th century. But they fell out of favor in more modern times. There was renewed interest in 1977 after a critic referenced a beer made with oats. Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout was produced as a result of that renewed interest. Lots of good oatmeal stouts available now. Oboviod was a new one for me...and it's a damn good one.

goalie204 12-07-2008 10:37 AM

My fav beer is a local brewery here in winnipeg called half pints

http://halfpintsbrewing.com

check out the 'whats brewing' link they have flagship beers and seasonal ones, unfiltered and unpasturized beer is the way to go, period.

Mark C 12-07-2008 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parrotheadduff (Post 106141)

Look for 'Beer Geek's Breakfast', oatmeal stout brewed with coffee :D

tnip23 12-07-2008 01:49 PM

Stone's 12 yr. anni. bitter choc. oatmeal stout is a near perfect beer. High alcohol at 9.2 but you wouldn't know it by the taste which is smooth and balanced.:tu

dentonparrots 12-07-2008 03:15 PM

Waggledance..made with a touch of honey. Lovely!

smokeyandthebandit05 12-07-2008 05:39 PM

Monty Pythons Holy Grail ale and of course Yuengling

maddman 12-07-2008 06:39 PM

right now i am having a Brooklyn Black Chocolate stout,

with eggs and bacon :)

newcigarz 12-08-2008 05:48 AM

Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale.

Hawk6815 12-08-2008 04:20 PM

Stone and their Arrogant can't be beat! I buy that stuff by the case.

Will

Cigary 12-08-2008 04:50 PM

I like Pacifico Beer and I don't have to put it in my fridge either,,,I open the door to my deck off the master bedroom and it stays a cool 26 degrees as that is how cold it is outside!!!! BRRRR friggin BRRRRRRR

maddman 12-12-2008 04:43 PM

going with an Anchor porter today, love the stuff.

VirtualSmitty 12-12-2008 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maddman (Post 116200)
going with an Anchor porter today, love the stuff.

yeah, just had some of that myself. Good stuff indeed :D

TripleF 12-12-2008 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VirtualSmitty (Post 8926)
oh c'mon Adam, no Genny cream ale!? :dr:D

Genny Cream Ale? How do you know about this gem? Been years since I've had one.......

bigliver 12-12-2008 08:55 PM

Right now, I drinking a Green Flash Brewery West Coast IPA. Not so much an IPA in my mind, but it could be considered a stong PA. It's almost a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale mixed with a New Beligum Fat Tire--not a bad combination to me right now. jason

BHowe 12-14-2008 07:46 PM

I'm on a big Eel River Porter kick.

I also love just about everything from the Ft. Collins Brewing Company.

And the Pumpkin Brew @ Bell Isle Brewery here in Oklahoma City.

JE3146 12-14-2008 07:52 PM

Pliney Elder Double IPA.....

:D

GTsetGO 12-15-2008 07:31 AM

well, i have been "experimenting" with some new brews the last week and i can honestly say that I haven't been enjoying them.

time to break out the goto Magic Hat

VirtualSmitty 12-15-2008 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTsetGO (Post 120110)
well, i have been "experimenting" with some new brews the last week and i can honestly say that I haven't been enjoying them.

time to break out the goto Magic Hat

What have you been trying that you didn't like? Specifics man!

TripleF 12-15-2008 03:30 PM

Bell's Two Hearted Ale

donjefe 12-15-2008 03:45 PM

Xingu. Brazilian, good stuff if you can find it.

Lumpold 12-16-2008 05:26 AM

Madresous Belgian Trippel poured by hot Dutch barmaids.

GTsetGO 12-16-2008 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VirtualSmitty (Post 120832)
What have you been trying that you didn't like? Specifics man!

The first was Buffalo Bill's Brewery Pumpkin Ale. If it would have tasted like it smelled I would have enjoyed it. Opened the bottle and took a whiff. Had a spicy aroma to it, much like any other Winter Ale that I have tried. So I took a swig. Well, there was little to no taste. I would say it tasted like a beer that was 10% Budlight and 90% water.

The Second one was Dogfish Head's Raison D'etre (I think that is the spelling). Nice packaging and presentation and on the side of the box it read, "Beer of the Year 200? " I can't remember the year. But having that on it, it must be good right?

Well, the wife was cooking dinner so I went in the kitchen with one of these to "chit chat" with her. I opened the bottle, tilted it back and took a swig. I can say this is the first and only beer that I have ever spit out on the first taste and then poured the rest out.

Scimmia 12-16-2008 07:44 AM

A poorly rated pumpkin beer and Raison D'etre? No wonder you haven't been enjoying them; there are plenty of great suggestions in this thread, don't give up!

DFH is known for doing very odd and extreme beers, I mean really, now many beers are actually made with raisins? They've got some great beers, but most of them are love em/hate em type beers.

GTsetGO 12-16-2008 08:26 AM

That's the thing. I have liked all the other dfh beer that I have tried. This one was just horrible.

Heatmiser 12-16-2008 10:22 PM

I'm currently enjoying my last few bottles of Alaskan Summer Ale... :al

perogee 12-16-2008 11:04 PM

Had a couple of Sleeman Honey Browns tonight, they certainly hit the spot

VirtualSmitty 12-16-2008 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTsetGO (Post 121786)
I can say this is the first and only beer that I have ever spit out on the first taste and then poured the rest out.

I take it you've never tried Sam Adams Cranberry Lambic :r

BHowe 12-21-2008 01:42 PM

Had some of the Sam Adams Winter Lager last night. Was pretty tasty and easy to drink.

Ace$nyper 12-21-2008 01:47 PM

Last night was beer time
Had
a few rouge dead guys
a boddingtons
a old speckled hen
a runeanation IPA

MikeyC 12-21-2008 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VirtualSmitty (Post 123185)
I take it you've never tried Sam Adams Cranberry Lambic :r

:r

I think Cranberry Lambic is BY FAR the WORST beer Sam Adams makes (strangely I've met people who actually like it :eek: ). I never liked SA Triple Boch either. You can still find some bottles of Triple B floating around liquor stores even though none has been brewed since 1996 or so.

cigars_n_scotch 12-22-2008 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeyC (Post 129848)
:r

I think Cranberry Lambic is BY FAR the WORST beer Sam Adams makes (strangely I've met people who actually like it :eek: ). I never liked SA Triple Boch either. You can still find some bottles of Triple B floating around liquor stores even though none has been brewed since 1996 or so.

100% agree. That is the worst beer I have ever had. I was only able to stomach drinking a few sips before pouring it out and giving away the other two bottles I had. Disgusting beer.

Sitting in my fridge are 3 Chimays and 3 Omegang bottles which were xmas gifts, along with some Hacker Pschorr Munich Gold and Leinenkugel's Fireside Nut Brown.

kaisersozei 12-22-2008 08:23 AM

Dogfish Head Chicory Stout

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/i...icoryStout.jpg

From the website:

A dark beer made with a touch of roasted chicory, organic Mexican coffee, St. John’s Wort and licorice root. Brewed with whole-leaf Cascade and Fuggles hops, the grains include pale, roasted & oatmeal. 5.2% ABV, 22 IBU

The two best things about this stout are its appearance and aroma. It was black as night with nice ruby highlights. Smelled like a cup of iced coffee with some cocoa & spices thrown in for good measure. The coffee taste definitely came through but it was more like the bottom of a burnt pot—very bitter, which is surprising since it was only 22 IBU so it must be related to the roasted malts (or the over roasted malts.) The spiciness was there, almost peppery so you Pepin fans might enjoy this! Not as full bodied as I expected, though, kind of watery for the style. Most stouts seem to improve as they warm, but this one was much better cold. Drinkable, but I prefer other stouts to this. Worth a one time purchase, but not a regular buy.

Final note: At $9 a 6 pack it was an interesting beer that I would recommend if you’re feeling adventurous.

Ken 12-22-2008 10:32 AM

Just had some Dogfish Midas Touch at the cigar shop Friday on my day off and enjoyed the brew very much. This is on the next buy list.

I had the wife pick up Sam Adams sampler pack for me for Christmas since there are a few I want to try and unfortunately I have a good (bad) feeling there will be one or two I will not digest.

St. Lou Stu 12-22-2008 10:39 AM

I had dinner Friday evening at the Schlafly Tap Room.
Good food and even better beer.
I had a single glass of Imperial Stout.... description from their website
"Barrel-Aged Imperial Stout (November 14)
A roasty, rich and malty Imperial Stout with a strong dose of caramel, oak, and Bourbon character. This is a perfect beer to pair with hearty, cold-weather dishes, smoked meats, and virtually any dessert (especially chocolate)."

I also enjoyed 3 or 4 glasses of the best APA on earth, so much so that I bought a 64oz. Growler to go home with me.
APA description from the website...
"An American Pale Ale with a hearty dose of hop bitterness, flavor and aroma. We add hops directly into the finished beer to boost the fresh, fruity flavor and aroma of American hops.
ABV:5.9%
IBU: 50"

FYI, Schlafly is now the largest American Owned Brewery in St. Louis.

Mark C 12-22-2008 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTsetGO (Post 121786)
The first was Buffalo Bill's Brewery Pumpkin Ale. If it would have tasted like it smelled I would have enjoyed it.

The Second one was Dogfish Head's Raison D'etre (I think that is the spelling). Nice packaging and presentation and on the side of the box it read, "Beer of the Year 200? " I can't remember the year. But having that on it, it must be good right?

The Buffalo Bill is one of my favorites, tied with Post Road for my personal #1 Pumpkin beer. Were you drinking it out of the bottle or a glass? Try pouring it if you haven't already. I will agree that many pumpkin beers tend to smell better at the first whiff than subsequent tastes, but it should be better than water/bud light.

DFH does have some weird stuff. The odd sounding ones I avoid. I'm a sucker for raspberry though so I tried a bottle of 'Fort'. One of the only beers I poured out, definitely a disappointment. But their 'beer-flavored' beer is awesome.

newcigarz 12-24-2008 12:52 PM

These just showed up today.

Two bottles of Ommegang Chocolate Indulgence and two bottles of Stone Double Bastard.

http://www.fototime.com/C642E4A3904BDBC/standard.jpg

rhdad42 12-24-2008 02:16 PM

http://www.sheltonbrothers.com/image...santasbutt.jpg

Yes, it is indeed Santa's Butt.

My eight-year old son and I were over at Monster Beverage getting some holiday grog, and came across this. Let me tell you, in terms of taste it's a fairly decent porter, but the real value is the comedy goldmine my son latched onto! Show an eight-year-olds anything to do with butts and they're done! He laughed for half an hour and it really made my day! The beer could have tasted like dogwater (it didn't) but it still would have been worth it to hear him laugh.

Those of you with young suns, get a piece of Santa's Butt!

Mark C 12-25-2008 07:06 AM

I almost picked up that bottle the other day, I grabbed 'lump of coal' instead but was wondering how this tasted. Thanks for the post!

VirtualSmitty 12-25-2008 09:05 AM

I enjoyed far too much Anchor Christmas last night. :al

Benzopyrene 12-25-2008 09:23 AM

Opened up a bottle of Sam Adams Chocolate bock last night that was quite tasty.

Mikey202 12-25-2008 09:42 AM

I had some Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale. That stuff is good.

VirtualSmitty 12-27-2008 09:32 AM

Had some Sam Adams Chocolate Bock courtesy of Horrorview last night. Pretty good, lower alcohol content than I expected but very drinkable. Not the best chocolate bock by any means but i'm glad to have had the chance to try it!

Paint 12-27-2008 10:52 AM

Founders, Backwoods Bastard. Bourbon barrel beer really good plus has a good alcohol content for some extra kick!!!

Jakemate 12-28-2008 09:57 AM

I'm snobby when it comes to beer. I mostly make my own.

http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/fo...d.php?t=277246

I'm mostly an ale and stout kinda guy. I don't find much love in the lighter beers. Lagers, pilsners and such. They are also more of a pain to make.

For commercial beers, I like guiness, boddingtons, redhook, and lagunitas.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/...0/100_2849.jpg

newcigarz 12-28-2008 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakemate (Post 138355)

I guess you keep the rolling rock for guests? :rolleyes: