Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Wine, Beer, and Spirits (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   What beers are you enjoying? (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=309)

BlackDog 12-31-2009 07:40 PM

Re: What beers are you enjoying?

I'm drinking a Trader Joe's Vintage 2009 strong dark ale. They're made by Unibroue, and sell for $5, but only at Trader Joe's. If you like Belgian-style beers, this is a great value.

Pauly Walnuts 12-31-2009 07:50 PM

put some budweiser or coors in front of me and im happy, im not much for the fancy or imported beers.

mastershogun 12-31-2009 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackDog (Post 701863)
I'm drinking a Trader Joe's Vintage 2009 strong dark ale. They're made by Unibroue, and sell for $5, but only at Trader Joe's. If you like Belgian-style beers, this is a great value.

:tpd: :dr Great price

BlackDog 12-31-2009 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pauly Walnuts (Post 701869)
put some budweiser or coors in front of me and im happy, im not much for the fancy or imported beers.

I know I'm supposed to say something like "Drink what you like, like what you drink," but man, you are missing out on so much.

Pauly Walnuts 12-31-2009 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackDog (Post 701904)
I know I'm supposed to say something like "Drink what you like, like what you drink," but man, you are missing out on so much.

well i tried heineken and thats definately one of my least favorites, but im willing to give the ales and whatnot a try considering they seem to be pretty popular around here it seems

BlackDog 12-31-2009 09:54 PM

Heineken is one of the worst imports going. In general, avoid any beer in a green bottle. They skunk very easily, and Heineken in a bottle is almost always skunked. Heineken in a can is better.

Since you live in Indiana, see if you can find some Three Floyds "Alpha King Pale Ale". It is the top pale ale in the USA, and made in Indiana. Or Three Floyds "Gumballhead". It's a wheat ale, and is the top wheat ale in the USA. Three Floyds is a very good brewery.

You probably also have Great Lakes, Founders, Bell's, Goose Island, and Victory products available where you live. Try their pale ales, lagers, pilsners and/or wheat beers. These types will be a more comfortable step for you into craft beers than jumping into India Pale Ales, which have more hops and can be somewhat bitter. Goose Island "Honkers Ale", Victory "Prima Pils", Great Lakes "Dortmunder Gold", Great Lakes "Burning River", Founders "Harvest Ale", and Bell's "Amber Ale" are all great beers which should be in your area.

Pauly Walnuts 12-31-2009 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackDog (Post 701943)
Heineken is one of the worst imports going. In general, avoid any beer in a green bottle. They skunk very easily, and Heineken in a bottle is almost always skunked. Heineken in a can is better.

Since you live in Indiana, see if you can find some Three Floyds "Alpha King Pale Ale". It is the top pale ale in the USA, and made in Indiana. Or Three Floyds "Gumballhead". It's a wheat ale, and is the top wheat ale in the USA. Three Floyds is a very good brewery.

You probably also have Great Lakes, Founders, Bell's, Goose Island, and Victory products available where you live. Try their pale ales, lagers, pilsners and/or wheat beers. These types will be a more comfortable step for you into craft beers than jumping into India Pale Ales, which have more hops and can be somewhat bitter. Goose Island "Honkers Ale", Victory "Prima Pils", Great Lakes "Dortmunder Gold", Great Lakes "Burning River", Founders "Harvest Ale", and Bell's "Amber Ale" are all great beers which should be in your area.

hm alright ill give them a try and tell you how i liked em. heineken turned me off to imported beers but if you say they are the worst of the worst im willing to try some of the ones you have listed.

BlackDog 12-31-2009 10:45 PM

I'm drinking a Sam Adams Cream Stout now. The TJV2009 got a little tiresome. 750 mls is too much for one person to enjoy. This cream stout is tasting great.

Pauly Walnuts 12-31-2009 10:46 PM

im done drinking for the night, had my share of stoli and budweiser. mixin those will be sure to habve me ffeelin like crap tomorrow... oh well hahah

NCRadioMan 12-31-2009 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackDog (Post 701904)

I hate to be a party pooper, but I think its best not to encourage underage drinking. According to Walnuts, he is only 18.

I've had a few Shiners and a few Pete's Wicked Ale's this evening.

Pauly Walnuts 12-31-2009 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCRadioMan (Post 702020)
I hate to be a party pooper, but I think its best not to encourage underage drinking. According to Walnuts, he is only 18.

I've had a few Shiners and a few Pete's Wicked Ale's this evening.

well ya know underage drinking is the most commonly broken law, not making it right but he is not by any means encouraging me because i will not drink any more or less because of his influence just havin a chat. but i do see where you are coming from.

BlackDog 12-31-2009 11:45 PM

Ok thanks for the heads up. I had no idea he is underage.

You better stick with pop for now, 'til you're old enough. Of course you're old enough to go to war, where people try to kill you, but you're not old enough to drink 'cuz you're still too immature. Makes perfect sense. But that's a discussion for a different board.
Posted via Mobile Device

Pauly Walnuts 12-31-2009 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackDog (Post 702038)
Ok thanks for the heads up. I had no idea he is underage.

You better stick with pop for now, 'til you're old enough. Of course you're old enough to go to war, where people try to kill you, but you're not old enough to drink 'cuz you're still too immature. Makes perfect sense. But that's a discussion for a different board.
Posted via Mobile Device

aw shucks... only orange crush for me :( hahah

icehog3 01-01-2010 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackDog (Post 701943)
Heineken is one of the worst imports going. In general, avoid any beer in a green bottle. They skunk very easily, and Heineken in a bottle is almost always skunked.

Ain't it the truth, Warren. Had a few ;) Moosehead in my younger days, I think that beer was intended to smell like skunk. :r

ChicagoWhiteSox 01-01-2010 10:55 AM

I enjoyed some Moose Drool last night. Great stuff, I am really becoming a brown ale fan. Best one Ive had so far:tu

BigFrank 01-01-2010 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackDog (Post 701995)
I'm drinking a Sam Adams Cream Stout now. The TJV2009 got a little tiresome. 750 mls is too much for one person to enjoy. This cream stout is tasting great.

A good brew indeed. I love the Sam Adams line, most of the beers are very tasty not to mention at 7-8 bucks a six pack it's quite worth it to me.

BigFrank 01-01-2010 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icehog3 (Post 702068)
Ain't it the truth, Warren. Had a few ;) Moosehead in my younger days, I think that beer was intended to smell like skunk. :r

I remember my first Moosehead hangover. It was rather brutal if I remember correctly.

BlackDog 01-01-2010 08:33 PM

I'm currently drinking a Lake Superior Father Duluth Oatmeal Stout. I used to not like stouts, but once I figured out that you need to drink them cool and not cold, it makes all the difference in their flavor. Take the bottle out of the refrigerator and let it warm for half an hour, and you've got one of the nicest drinks possible.

BlackDog 01-01-2010 11:34 PM

I'm drinking a Sam Adams Cream Stout now. Then I'm going to sleep.

BlackDog 01-02-2010 09:37 PM

I'm drinking a Founder's Breakfast Stout. This beer is soooo good. When the Holy Trinity get together for a beer, this is the stuff they drink.

leasingthisspace 01-02-2010 10:28 PM

I need to find some Founder's B.S. I love stouts and I keep hearing of this one.
Posted via Mobile Device

wavescrashing 01-02-2010 11:03 PM

Trying Landshark lager. To say it's a full step above O'Douls is a stretch. Not to mention it tastes like typical light Anheiser crap. Meh.

cort 01-02-2010 11:05 PM

Coors Light!! ( I know, I know) but I have had about 17 of them:banger

wavescrashing 01-02-2010 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cort (Post 704850)

You and your friggin coors. Hell, I drank some too :D

Pauly Walnuts 01-02-2010 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cort (Post 704850)

There it is, Coors. something ive actually heard of! if it has ale in the name i havent tried it, but from what i hear i should.

avid toker 01-03-2010 05:00 PM

Stoudt's Smooth Hoperator. I don't care what you call it, an IPA or a Dopplebock....it's just plain good.

BlackDog 01-03-2010 05:27 PM

I'm eating fried fillets of bluegill I caught yesterday, steamed greenbeans, dirty rice, and quartered apples; paired with a bomber of SN Torpedo. Talk about good food. :tu

ChicagoWhiteSox 01-03-2010 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackDog (Post 706021)
I'm eating fried fillets of bluegill I caught yesterday, steamed greenbeans, dirty rice, and quartered apples; paired with a bomber of SN Torpedo. Talk about good food. :tu

Your killing me Warren:dr:tu

ChicagoWhiteSox 01-03-2010 05:45 PM

Still have some Moose Drool for tonight. It is my favorite brown ale by far.

MichaelJ 01-03-2010 05:49 PM

Enjoying my 4th Guinness....practically a meal by itself. :tu

BlackDog 01-03-2010 09:45 PM

Drinking a Left Hand Milk Stout. Nice & smooth, good tasting stout.

Skywalker 01-03-2010 10:23 PM

Sierra Nevada Wood-Aged Old Ale (blend of Imperial Stout and Scotch Ale aged eleven months in oak bourbon barrels)!!!:dr

hornitosmonster 01-03-2010 10:42 PM

Enjoyed a Rochefort 10 as a Cowboys won the NFC East celebration beer.

Had Blue Moons (nothing better on tap) at the sportsbar during the game.

BlackDog 01-04-2010 08:10 PM

Drinking a DFH 90 Minute.

kenstogie 01-05-2010 09:03 AM

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_sctUupuw_Zk/Sz...0/IMG_9596.JPG Here the last beer I had. It was a "breakfast beer" nice!

BlackDog 01-05-2010 07:09 PM

I'm drinking a Tyranena Headless Man, my last one. I'm liking this Headless Man better than my last one, but I doubt I'll run out and buy more. I'm going to have a GI Oatmeal Stout after I'm done with this.

I made a list today of the beers currently on hand at my house. Turns out I've got 30 different kinds. Not a bad selection.

3 - Trader Joe/Unibroue Vintage 2009
1 - Unibroue La Fin du Monde
1 - Southern Tier Krampus
1 - Southern Tier Unearthly
1 - Great Divide YETI Imperial Stout
1 - Full Sail Old Boardhead Barleywine
3 - Goose Island Oatmeal Stout
3 - Goose Island Indian Pale Ale
3 - Goose Island Nut Brown Ale
3 - Goose Island Honker Ale
6 - Sam Adams Cream Stout
5 - Founder's Backwoods Bastard
4 - Tyranena Hop Whore
1 - Dogfish Head 90 Minute
2 - Surly Furious
2 - Lagunitas IPA
3 - North Coast Old Rasputin
1 - Boulder Beer Hazed & Infused
2 - Guinness Draught Stout
2 - Corzendonk Xmas Ale
1 - Sam Smith Nut Brown Ale
1 - Mad River Steelhead Extra Stout
2 - Weinhenstephaner Original Lager
1 - Victory Pils
4 - Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold
4 - Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald Porter
2 - Founder's Breakfast Stout
1 - Left Hand Fade to Black Export Stout
1 - Wychwood Hobgoblin
1 - Flying Dog Triple

dccraft 01-06-2010 02:38 PM

Had a nice Great Lakes Brewing Co Elliot Ness last evening :tu

jim367 01-06-2010 02:52 PM

Goose Island Matilda and Pere Jacques are must tries! Fullers London Porter is good this time of the year.

BlackDog 01-07-2010 05:51 AM

Had a Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold last night. One of the nicest lagers made in the USA. The malts make it smooth and creamy.
Posted via Mobile Device

dccraft 01-07-2010 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackDog (Post 710782)
Had a Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold last night. One of the nicest lagers made in the USA. The malts make it smooth and creamy.
Posted via Mobile Device

These are especially nice. Got one in the fridge.:tu

BlackDog 01-07-2010 07:33 PM

Had a Surly Furious with chicken & green bean curry for dinner. Good eating. Man I love that beer.

Salvelinus 01-07-2010 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jim367 (Post 710009)
Goose Island Matilda and Pere Jacques are must tries! Fullers London Porter is good this time of the year.

Had the Matilda last time through Chicago, I enjoyed it.

BlackDog 01-08-2010 09:54 PM

Just finished a bomber of Full Sail Barleywine. I'm feeling fine right now. ;)

kaisersozei 01-10-2010 08:01 AM

Had a DFH Olde School Barleywine while watching Inglorious Basterds Friday night:

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/i...oldeschool.jpg

I love "big-beers," so I really enjoyed this one. It's brewed with dates & figs, which gave it a pleasant flavor and sweetness that complemented the malt and went well with the hop bitterness. At 15% ABV, I'm sure it will age just fine, too. :al The label says:

Directions: Open bottle, pour contents into two snifters. Enjoy. OR: walk hand-in-neck into the middle of the woods. Use a shovel to dig a 2x2 hole three feet deep. Seal the bottle in a plastic bag. Place in hole & pack with dirt. Memorize location & leave. Return exactly one year later. Dig up bottle, open & enjoy.

Those guys up in Delaware are a bit off... but they make interesting beer! :D

Tripp 01-10-2010 10:01 AM

Had a Widmer Pitch Black IPA last night... Pretty good, very different. Didn't go great with my Tatuaje Noellas, so I think I'll try it with a maduro next time.

Salvelinus 01-10-2010 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaisersozei (Post 714823)
Those guys up in Delaware are a bit off... but they make interesting beer! :D

Read Brewing up a Business if you haven't. Gives some great insight into why they do what they do, makes me enjoy their beer a bit more. They like beer...a lot.

Mikey202 01-10-2010 04:35 PM

Sierra Nevada Stout

BlackDog 01-10-2010 07:15 PM

I drank a Goose Island Nut Brown Ale before. Nice, but a little sweeter than I think is right for this style. I'd prefer it to be a bit more bitter.

Now I'm drinking a Tyranean Hop Whore, which is the bomb. Think of red grapefruit juice with 8% abv. Yum.

BlackDog 01-12-2010 10:52 AM

Last night I drank a Surly Coffee Bender. I liked it OK, but IMO it's too much like a coffee drink and not enough like beer. I'll drink the other 3, but it's not something I'd buy again.

Drat 01-12-2010 05:41 PM

Drinking my Simcoe IPA that I brewed with some wildflower honey. Tastes so good in the mouth but the aftertaste kills it. I accidentally burned the wort during the boil.

I drink my mistakes though... :-)